FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roocru

I am going to the Austin College Homecoming this weekend in Sherman, Texas and am looking forward to the reunion of my 1968 football team.  About twenty teammates are expected to show up and renew old acquaintances.  This was really a special team.  I an copying the brief announcement which will be read as we are introduced prior to the coin flip.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Austin College is proud to recognize today the 50th reunion of the 1968 Nationally ranked football team.  This team played as independents as there were no conferences available at that time.  They finished with an outstanding 8-1 record playing teams in Nebraska, Missouri, Tennessee, Colorado, Arkansas and Texas. Along with the team are assistant coach Duane Nutt and Ric Gass, son of the late Head Coach Floyd Gass. Coach Gass once said after leaving to be the Head Coach at Oklahoma State that eleven players of this 1968 team could have started for him at OSU.  This 1968 team finished the season ranked #6 in the nation and were in the running to play in two bowl gamed but barely missed selection in both.  Three members of the team received NAIA All -American recognition and fifteen members are currently in the Roo Hall of Honor.  They were also the first integrated team in AC history.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's Great To Be A Roo!!!!! 🏈
Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

Ralph Turner

roocru, was that in the NCAA College Division (where the #6 ranking was given?)

Whom did you play?

Were there athletic scholarships?

Pat Coleman

Presumably it was the NAIA, like the All-America recognition cited.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

BerryCollegeFan

That is a great team.  Awesome history there.  I hope the day goes well, special memories.

roocru

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 08, 2018, 04:37:00 PM

Whom did you play?

No scholarships for us.  As I remember we played a mixture of NAIA and NCAA schools. Teams we played included (not in order) were Nebraska Wesleyan, William Jewell in Missouri, Southwestern (currently Rhodes) and Sewanee in Tennessee, Colorado College, Ouachita Baptist and Henderson State in Arkansas, Texas Lutheran and one other I cannot remember.  I believe Nebraska Wesleyan, the two Arkansas schools and Texas Lutheran were scholarship schools for sure.  I cannot remember the status of the others.  The one game we lost was to Ouachita Baptist and they had a guy playing in their secondary by the name of Cliff Harris who later starred for the Dallas Cowboys.

It will definitely be great to be together again as a team.  We are expecting around twenty to show.  Unfortunately at least fourteen of our teammates have passed away.
Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

Ron Boerger

Great memories, roocru.   Enjoy your day tomorrow!

San Antonio can't catch a break with the rain - it's been raining a good part of the morning again today.   Forecast for tomorrow is actual fall weather with temps around 50 at game time and not really going anywhere after that. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: roocru on November 09, 2018, 01:04:55 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 08, 2018, 04:37:00 PM

Whom did you play?

No scholarships for us.  As I remember we played a mixture of NAIA and NCAA schools. Teams we played included (not in order) were Nebraska Wesleyan, William Jewell in Missouri, Southwestern (currently Rhodes) and Sewanee in Tennessee, Colorado College, Ouachita Baptist and Henderson State in Arkansas, Texas Lutheran and one other I cannot remember.  I believe Nebraska Wesleyan, the two Arkansas schools and Texas Lutheran were scholarship schools for sure.  I cannot remember the status of the others.  The one game we lost was to Ouachita Baptist and they had a guy playing in their secondary by the name of Cliff Harris who later starred for the Dallas Cowboys.

It will definitely be great to be together again as a team.  We are expecting around twenty to show.  Unfortunately at least fourteen of our teammates have passed away.
Interesting schedule. McMurry was in the Lone Star Conference at that time. I know by the early 1970's the LSC was NAIA Division 1. Texas Lutheran won their national championship in NAIA Division II in 1975 with Coach Jim Wacker.
They were playing Howard Payne and Sul Ross State, plus East Texas State U (Texas A&M Commerce), South(W)est Texas State U (Texas State U), Stephen F  Austin State U, Sam Houston State U, Tarleton State U and Texas A&I (Texas A&M Kingsville).

Have fun!

BerryViking92

Well no love at all in ye ole Quick Hits predictions, which might be a bit harsh when you compare records, but whatever.  Hoping for  a big Vikings win as I want a home playoff game and want to help get Centre in.  Go Berry!

jamtod

Quote from: BerryViking92 on November 09, 2018, 03:00:09 PM
Well no love at all in ye ole Quick Hits predictions, which might be a bit harsh when you compare records, but whatever.  Hoping for  a big Vikings win as I want a home playoff game and want to help get Centre in.  Go Berry!

I guess it wouldn't be notable for someone who thinks you are going to win in that column. So I think you've still got support from 4 out of the 6 (unless I missed something)

Ron Boerger

Quote from: BerryViking92 on November 09, 2018, 03:00:09 PM

Yeah, thanks D3football guys for giving Berry even more motivation tomorrow.   ;)   But look at the bright side, nobody said Berry was going to play their way out of a home game in the first round.

Trinity had their whole season changed by a couple of very unfortunate fumbles (both the Centre and Millsaps losses turned on fourth-quarter fumbles).  If they are to have any chance tomorrow they absolutely must hold on to the football.

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 09, 2018, 09:08:23 AM
Great memories, roocru.   Enjoy your day tomorrow!

San Antonio can't catch a break with the rain - it's been raining a good part of the morning again today.   Forecast for tomorrow is actual fall weather with temps around 50 at game time and not really going anywhere after that.
looks like about 20 degrees below normal.   It is going to be a tough game tomorrow for sure.  Berry fans have a tailgate meal planned over by the baseball field tomorrow.  See you there.

Ron Boerger

I'm sure the Berry faithful have already seen this, but Brian Lester made Berry and Justus Edwards the focus of this week's Around The Nation:  http://d3football.com/columns/features/2018/berry-14-on-brain

Ron Boerger

Quite the surprise in San Antonio where Trinity took advantage of three interceptions and a two point conversion along the way to a 21-17 upset of the conference champions.  Berry seemed on their way to an win after scoring back-to-back touchdowns with ease to take a 14-3 lead into halftime, but the Tiger defense started getting stops and finally scored a touchdown when Wyatt Messex found Chris Stewart over the middle with the speedster outrunning everyone on a 7674-yard streak to the end zone.  The third interception set Trinity up near midfield with just over four minutes remaining, and after driving to the 20 Messex found Peyton Tuggle who somehow caught the ball falling backwards for the final score with under a minute remaining.  Berry drove inside the Trinity 25 with 0:06 left but the final pass into the flat short of the end zone fell incomplete.

Ron Boerger

The D3football projection has Centre in as a Pool C (playing at Trine) and Berry going to UMHB. 

http://d3football.com/playoffs/2018/final-playoff-projection

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 11, 2018, 12:14:18 AM
The D3football projection has Centre in as a Pool C (playing at Trine) and Berry going to UMHB. 

Not until the second round, though.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.