FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albatross

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 26, 2018, 01:59:07 PM
I expect the SAA to be a real shootout next year.

Centre is consistent, year after year. Berry has those 3 rings. But, my eye is on Trinity. I think that Coach Urban finally has his program going the way that he wants it.

Agreed, Ralph. With Miles Thompson returning at QB for Hendrix next year, there could be 4-5 really solid teams in the mix...

HookEmVikes

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 26, 2018, 01:59:07 PM
I expect the SAA to be a real shootout next year.

Centre is consistent, year after year. Berry has those 3 rings. But, my eye is on Trinity. I think that Coach Urban finally has his program going the way that he wants it.

I have been impressed with Trinity both years Berry has played them. Last years game in Rome was a tough game all the way to the end and Trinity got the best of Berry in San Antonio. I look for them to be a tough game each year going forward. I agree that next year could be a real shootout among 4 or 5 teams.

albatross

Speaking of Trinity's program...

Ron - any insight or updates on the facilities improvements at Trinity? I know they had a master plan that seemed pretty set re: stadium and training areas.

BerryCollegeFan

https://www.d3football.com/awards/all-region/2018/d3football-all-south-region-2018

Looks like the SAA had 10 players receive D3 All-South Region honors.  Centre(4) had the most, with Berry(3), Hendrix(1) and Rhodes(2) adding to the list as well.  Congratulations to all, especially the seniors.  Thanks for all the hard work.

First Team O
T D.J. Coker Rhodes Sr. Buford, Ga.
C Drew Yeager Centre Jr. Danville, Ky.
Third Team O
WR Jaylon Hibbs Centre Sr. Louisville, Ky.
C Nick McGee Berry Sr. Evans, Ga.
K Ben Logsdon Centre Sr. Louisville, Ky.

First Team D
DT Bryson Lamboy Berry Sr. Cave Springs, Ga.
CB Cal Lewellyn Centre Jr. Louisville, Ky.
Second Team D
DT D'On Coofer Rhodes Jr. Goodlettsville, Tenn.
S Kevin Grier Berry Sr. Lilburn, Ga.
Third Team D
P Garrett Wolf Hendrix Sr. Midlothian, Texas

albatross

Hendrix Offensive Coordinator (and former Hardin Simmons great) is going to be announced as the new McMurry head coach today. He's an Abilene native and will look to build a program back up much like he helped Buck Buchanan do at Hendrix.

Also helped marshal one of the best offenses in college football for the past 6 years. Wishing him all success and hoping for a smooth transition for his family!

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sports/former-cooper-qb-jordan-neal-to-be-next-mcmurry-coach/1641970161

Cedricb313

Congratulations Centre Colleges, Colin Burnam, on being named to #SAA 2018 All-Sportsman Team. #d3fb
https://www.saa-sports.com/general/2018-19/releases/20181206msuuis

albatross

Hendrix promotes from within: OL coach/Strength & Conditioning Coordinator Russ Phillips named new OC at Hendrix.

BerryCollegeFan

BerryCollegeFan

Ron Boerger

Quote from: albatross on November 29, 2018, 10:14:42 AM
Speaking of Trinity's program...

Ron - any insight or updates on the facilities improvements at Trinity? I know they had a master plan that seemed pretty set re: stadium and training areas.

This is no great insight on my part, but the way major athletic facility works at Trinity is that nothing happens until a big donor comes up with a pledge for a substantial amount of the required funding - which sadly hasn't happened to date.   Same situation with the baseball field; there's been discussion of an overhaul there for quite a while but even winning a national championship hasn't gotten them over the hump.

With the stock market in freefall (no political commentary, just fact) you can bet the school and donors are clutching tightly onto their assets right about now.   I don't expect any progress in the near future. 

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas (or holiday of choice) and looking forward to a great New Year in the SAA next season.   

Ron Boerger

For anyone unfamiliar with the story of the 1899 Sewanee Tigers, who won five road games by shutout in six days (train travel FTW) against opponents including the University of Texas, Texas A&M, and LSU, today's story in the New York Times might be an enlightening read.  It's not the best story I've seen on the subject but the fact that a 120 year-old football team still gets press in this day and age tells you something about their accomplishment.

albatross

Quote from: Ron Boerger on January 04, 2019, 09:15:47 AM
For anyone unfamiliar with the story of the 1899 Sewanee Tigers... the fact that a 120 year-old football team still gets press in this day and age tells you something about their accomplishment.

Great find, Ron. After playing at Sewanee multiple times within the last 5 years, I can confirm that the allure is still there from decades past.

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: Ron Boerger on January 04, 2019, 09:15:47 AM
For anyone unfamiliar with the story of the 1899 Sewanee Tigers, who won five road games by shutout in six days (train travel FTW) against opponents including the University of Texas, Texas A&M, and LSU, today's story in the New York Times might be an enlightening read.  It's not the best story I've seen on the subject but the fact that a 120 year-old football team still gets press in this day and age tells you something about their accomplishment.

That was certainly the greatest accomplishment of any football team during the early era of college football.  And most of the wins would be against what most would consider powerhouse programs today.

awadelewis

The most impressive win of that season didn't occur on the roadtrip but in the "Championship of the South" game against the John Heisman coached Auburn Tigers.   The final score was Sewanee 11 - Auburn 10 with the key play being a very controversial call on a fumble late in the first half.    The ref. gave the ball to Sewanee though claims from the Auburn team they controlled the ball.   Next play saw Sewanee use a double pass to score the touchdown and our kicker made the extra point.   Neither team was able to score in the second half and Sewanee kept the unbeaten streak alive.   The following week the Iron Men defeated UNC 5-0 to close the season.

BerryCollegeFan

I was disappointed with the changes in the 2019 schedule rotation.

Berry travels to Trinity and to Centre again next season.  Not that the trip to San Antonio was bad, but I was wanting to make the trip to Austin in Sherman, TX.