FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BerryCollegeFan

Ron Boerger

Trinity shut their field/stadium down for two months for "renovations" last week.  Whether that means they are finally replacing sod with turf or something else should be made clear with a formal announcement from the sports info folks in the near future.

EDIT:  the field and track last underwent major renovation in 2012.

Ron Boerger

Ron Boerger

Yes!   The signups for Kickoff are now open (and you can even make a small additional donation if desired to help with the costs of running the site).   https://www.d3football.com/notables/2019/06/order-kickoff-2019-now

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: Ron Boerger on June 25, 2019, 04:53:46 PM
Trinity is replacing their grass with FieldTurf.   https://www.trinitytigers.com/sports/fball/2019-20/releases/190626_fb_turf

It seems turf is easier to manage, but most of the players I have talked with, really don't like playing on turf, especially in southern states, that rubber holds a lot of heat and it gets into every crack and crevice.

Ron Boerger

From some photos shared on twitter it looks like the turf at Trinity is just about done.   

BCF, re your comment, understood, but they also probably don't like it when they have to play in a quagmire, and whenever it rains in the fall the field at TU rapidly turns into something unplayable.   With Trinity moving to turf, Austin is the only school in the conference with a grass field, something else that was likely a factor.

RCottman

Trinity's new turf is from Fieldturf. It is the new cool turf type that is supposed to be 20 degrees cooler than regular turf.

BerryCollegeFan

that's interesting to hear about the 20 degree difference.  That is significant.

Ron Boerger

The D3football.com preseason Top 25 is out and shows the SAA some respect:

16. Berry
20. Centre
RV  Trinity

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ron Boerger on June 04, 2019, 11:10:46 AM
I don't have any inside information; they had 5 QBs on last year's roster, none of whom were seniors, and announced 1 QB signee for this year's incoming class prior to this announcement.  Last year's starter, rising junior Wyatt Messex, was solid but not spectacular in his first season as starter (114/205 for 1672 yds, 20 TDs/5 INTs, 249 yds rushing/2 TDs) in leading the team to its best record since 2015 and a win over conference champion Berry in the season finale. 

I've seen Coach Urban rotate QBs on occasion but his preference is to go with one guy, so I imagine everyone's going to compete with Messex being the guy when camp gets underway - but having two transfers from D1 programs (highly unusual for Trinity as it would be for most D3 schools) at the position should make things interesting.  Will be interesting to see if Horn still has four years of eligibility since he never saw the field at ACU.

Trinity's roster for the upcoming season has been posted.   The two transfer QBs above are both listed as first-years on the roster so must have redshirted at their respective institutions.  A third transfer at QB has been revealed - Will Chaney, who is listed on the 2017 UMHB roster but not the 2018 (though I found some tweets saying he threw at least a couple of TDs for the Cru JV last season).   Going to be very interesting to see what Kickoff has to say about this in a couple of weeks.   

Ron Boerger

C6H0colonels

Looking forward to a great year of SAA football. Between Centre, Berry, and Trinity this conference is now getting some attention.

Does anyone have an update on Justice from Berry?

Ron Boerger

Welcome C6H0!   Good to have some Centre representation on the board.   Regarding "Justice from Berry" - no player by that name on their roster this year or the last two Justus Edwards is on the roster, but I haven't been able to find any updates on the injury he suffered last year. 

According to a story in yesterday's San Antonio Express-News (unfortunately behind a paywall) lQB Wyatt Messex dealt with a high ankle sprain from the second game of last season as well as having his non-throwing arm in a cast for the season after breaking a wrist three weeks after that.  He appears to have retained the starting role despite all the transfers noted earlier, so hopefully he can stay healthy this season.

Speaking of QBs, Miles Thompson will be back for Hendrix, as a junior; he received a medical redshirt after going down in the second game of the season last year.   Good news for Hendrix - not so good for the rest of the conference who have to deal with his talents  ;)

Ron Boerger

The SCAC just announced a "streaming partnership" with PrestoSports for conference schools, though there isn't any mention of cost.  I do wonder how this will impact Trinity, which has heavily invested in its own streaming platform used throughout the school, not just for athletics.   Wonder if the SAA is exploring something similar?
https://www.scacsports.com/news/scac_announces_streaming_partnership

umhb2001

Quote from: Ron Boerger on August 10, 2019, 12:01:46 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on June 04, 2019, 11:10:46 AM
I don't have any inside information; they had 5 QBs on last year's roster, none of whom were seniors, and announced 1 QB signee for this year's incoming class prior to this announcement.  Last year's starter, rising junior Wyatt Messex, was solid but not spectacular in his first season as starter (114/205 for 1672 yds, 20 TDs/5 INTs, 249 yds rushing/2 TDs) in leading the team to its best record since 2015 and a win over conference champion Berry in the season finale. 

I've seen Coach Urban rotate QBs on occasion but his preference is to go with one guy, so I imagine everyone's going to compete with Messex being the guy when camp gets underway - but having two transfers from D1 programs (highly unusual for Trinity as it would be for most D3 schools) at the position should make things interesting.  Will be interesting to see if Horn still has four years of eligibility since he never saw the field at ACU.

Trinity's roster for the upcoming season has been posted.   The two transfer QBs above are both listed as first-years on the roster so must have redshirted at their respective institutions.  A third transfer at QB has been revealed - Will Chaney, who is listed on the 2017 UMHB roster but not the 2018 (though I found some tweets saying he threw at least a couple of TDs for the Cru JV last season).   Going to be very interesting to see what Kickoff has to say about this in a couple of weeks.   

Chaney looked the real deal coming out of HS. He throws a good ball and can run as well. I didn't get to see him play a lot at UMHB, but I believe he could be a good pickup for Trinity if their starter from last year is nursing an injury.

In the same vein of QB transfers, Kyle Jones, who started some for UMHB in 17 and got some playing time in the Stagg when CR3 was not getting it done has transferred to Hardin-Simmons from Texas Tech. Of course, HSU also received a transfer from TCU, so we'll see what the story is there. Zai Zai Smith, the backup for Jaquan Hemphill, is now listed as a DE.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!