Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob.Gregg

I agree with the four locks if all win.

I was just wondering with any losses, are there others we should have "on the board"?

By the way, Puget Sound's QOW is currently 8.889.

Of course, a win over Whitworth would add significantly to it.

Not only that, but a significant win in region.  It won't be enough if all four win Saturday, but might be if one stumbles...
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

Ralph Turner

Bob, I am not sure what the last week's changes to the QOWI will do, but a 15-point win over Whitworth will give (80+15=) 95 points, or 9.500 for Puget Sound.

downtown48

I think I would throw up if Puget Sound got in over Linfield.  Didn't they have the Colorado School of the blind on their schedule?  ;)

d-train

Quote from: downtown48 on November 06, 2006, 01:30:46 AM
I think I would throw up if Puget Sound got in over Linfield.  Didn't they have the Colorado School of the blind on their schedule?  ;)

Yeah, they're about as weak as a 7-win team can be. But they won't beat Whitworth...so it's a non-issue. Their 7-3 finish will still only be good enough for a 4th place finish in the NWC (or a three-way tie for third if the Bearcats get by the Lutes). UPS' record features unimpressive wins over Colorado College, Menlo, L&C, and the bottom half of the SCIAC.

edit: Let me clarify the 'unimpressive' part of that. They did handily beat a couple unimpressive teams (Menlo and L&C) and got by a few others.

Bob.Gregg

Okay, we'll just post an incomplete list of possible "B" candidates:

Updated after 11/4 games:

Here's what's left:  (In-Region Games in Bold)

1)  Wesley (9-0/5-0) vs. Morrisville State (1-7)

2)  Whitworth (9-0/8-0)  vs. Puget Sound (7-2)

3)  Carnegie-Mellon (9-0/8-0) @ Thiel (5-4)

4)  Washington & Jefferson (8-1/7-1) @ Bethany (4-5)

On the bubble:

Linfield (5-3, 4-2)  @ Lewis & Clark (0-8)

(unnamed team)....deleted due to HURL warnings!

d-train

Are there really no other 'bubble' teams? Would an 6-3 Linfield team go over a 9-1 C.M. or 8-2 W&J?

d-train

I guess let me also throw this out there. If in some way the Loggers do get past Whitworth on Saturday, they would still need C.M. or W&J to lose - right?

Bob.Gregg

-train, that's what I was getting at.

Puget Sound was the only one I could see getting any possible consideration outside the five listed.  And they would need W&J and CMU to lose.

Who else is there:

Rockford?  They're 7-3, having just lost to Minn-Morris & Colorado College.

Bob.Gregg

Pool B, in a matter of two weeks, has gone from

this IS the year a "B" gets a "C"

to

How in the WORLD are we going to fill those 4 spots?

d-train

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 06, 2006, 03:26:14 PM
-train, that's what I was getting at.

Puget Sound was the only one I could see getting any possible consideration outside the five listed.  And they would need W&J and CMU to lose.

Who else is there:

Rockford?  They're 7-3, having just lost to Minn-Morris & Colorado College.

Well, hopefully the four win out then. Doesn't sound like anyone else should even be considered (including Linfield, quite honestly)...and I'd hate to see a good Pool C team (or Linfield) at home with the Loggers in the playoffs.

Bob.Gregg

You don't have to worry about a "B" getting a "C" this year.

If one of the four loses and the Loggers get in because of it, there's no way the "B" gets a "C".

IF Linfield had won, and the rest won out, there would be a strong "B" for a "C" case.

d-train

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 06, 2006, 03:37:27 PM
You don't have to worry about a "B" getting a "C" this year.

If one of the four loses and the Loggers get in because of it, there's no way the "B" gets a "C".

IF Linfield had won, and the rest won out, there would be a strong "B" for a "C" case.

No, no...I wasn't clear in my post. I was suggesting that if (say) W&J were to trip up, I'd rather see an 8th Pool C bid handed out than an obligatory 4th Pool B bid (to someone like UPS or even 6-3 Linfield). I know the structure wouldn't allow it, but I was just saying...

Bob.Gregg

I see where you were going.

However, before we talk about talking spots away from teams in Pool B of questionable credentials and giving them to Pool C (really A), let's make sure there aren't any teams that would fit the same category.

If W&J loses, they'll be 8-2.
Dickinson can well finish 8-2, and they're already in.
The CCIW winner could be 8-2.
The E-8 winner could be 8-2.
Union can finish 7-2, and they're in.
Hope can finish 6-4, and they're in.
NJAC winner can be 7-2.
NCAC winner can be 7-3.
Wash & Lee can finish 7-3, and they're in.
SCAC winner can finish 7-3.
USASAC winner can finish 7-3.

That's about as clear a picture of why there's Pool A, Pool B and Pool C.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 06, 2006, 04:08:13 PM
I see where you were going.

However, before we talk about talking spots away from teams in Pool B of questionable credentials and giving them to Pool C (really A), let's make sure there aren't any teams that would fit the same category.

If W&J loses, they'll be 8-2.
Dickinson can well finish 8-2, and they're already in.
The CCIW winner could be 8-2.
The E-8 winner could be 8-2.
Union can finish 7-2, and they're in.
Hope can finish 6-4, and they're in.
NJAC winner can be 7-2.
NCAC winner can be 7-3.
Wash & Lee can finish 7-3, and they're in.
SCAC winner can finish 7-3.
USASAC winner can finish 7-3.

That's about as clear a picture of why there's Pool A, Pool B and Pool C.

And everyone of those teams except W&J has overcome adversity to win the Pool A bid.  (Under next year's rules, W&J is an "A" also!)

CMURyan

Seems like any of the 4 listed could lose and still get in.  Maybe you would put a 3 loss Linfield in over a 2 loss W+J, but no other scenario makes sense.