FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiofan1954

I do hope that fake punt makes play of the week. That was something to see.  I doubt anyone saw that coming but with that wind the most anyone was getting on a punt was 20 yards so not a bad gamble.

MUC57

Wally Wabash

I consider you the expert not only on Dlll, but certainly the NCAC. What the hell happened to Witt?
I thought, like most people, that Witt would play Mount in our bracket in round 3. I was really shocked. A storied program getting beaten by "Frostburg State who?"
Would love to hear your always educated thoughts. Thanks!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ohiofan1954 on November 19, 2017, 08:48:36 AM
I do hope that fake punt makes play of the week. That was something to see.  I doubt anyone saw that coming but with that wind the most anyone was getting on a punt was 20 yards so not a bad gamble.

Me too. We're hoping to get the video. If you were watching online you probably saw we didn't get to see a lot of it because the camera didn't follow, so we'll need the coaching video.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

Quote from: MUC57 on November 19, 2017, 09:48:08 AM

Wally Wabash

I consider you the expert not only on Dlll, but certainly the NCAC. What the hell happened to Witt?
I thought, like most people, that Witt would play Mount in our bracket in round 3. I was really shocked. A storied program getting beaten by "Frostburg State who?"

Most of what I saw from Witt/Frostburg I saw on the D3 Bracket Blitz, which was awesome, so I only got bits and pieces of the game.  But from what I saw and what was observed by Pat and Frank watching online and Adam Turer on site, these are the underlying reasons for how we got to 35-7:
- Frostburg was bigger and faster than Wittenberg, which is not a thing that Wittenberg had experienced all year.  When that happens, you get really lopsided things like 2:1 ratios for yards and time of possession.  Witt flat out got manhandled by a bigger team, to be quite honest.
- Witt's game plan for this was never going to include scoring 40 points.  It was going to be on their defense to keep Frostburg in check and set up the offense with short field opportunities.  This did happen in spots, BUT...
- Turnovers, man.  Witt made a critical turnovers in critical positions.  Witt got the ball to start the 3rd quarter trailing 14-0.  Not ideal, but not bad...halftime adjustments, you get down there get a score and you're in the game.  Kennedy gets intercepted on the first play, hands Frostburg a short field which they convert and now you're 21-0 and it's total desperation mode at this point.  Then, right after Witt forces a turnover to be in plus position and a chance to cut the thing to 21-14, Kennedy throws another pick on the goal line to end that scoring chance.  Still 21-7.  And then lastly, in the 4th quarter, not a turnover per se, but Witt turns it over on downs at the FSU 4 yard line.  The Tiger defense had asserted some control at this point late in the game, forced three and out but then DeLane Fitzgerald pulled off the call of the round faking a punt out of his own end zone. It worked, 93 yards later it's 28-7 and the game was over. 

There's some truth to this being Witt's worst game of the year, but that doesn't give proper credit to Frostburg St.  They were confident, strong, fast, and they pantsed Wittenberg on their own field.  That's going to be a really good game next week at W&J. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

MUC57

I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

ohiofan1954

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 19, 2017, 12:26:32 PM
Quote from: ohiofan1954 on November 19, 2017, 08:48:36 AM

Me too. We're hoping to get the video. If you were watching online you probably saw we didn't get to see a lot of it because the camera didn't follow, so we'll need the coaching video.
I was standing at the goal line hoping to get a picture if there was a block attempt. Saw the whole thing.

ohiofan1954

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 19, 2017, 01:26:10 PM

Wally Wabash

Most of what I saw from Witt/Frostburg I saw on the D3 Bracket Blitz, which was awesome, so I only got bits and pieces of the game.  But from what I saw and what was observed by Pat and Frank watching online and Adam Turer on site, these are the underlying reasons for how we got to 35-7:
- Frostburg was bigger and faster than Wittenberg, which is not a thing that Wittenberg had experienced all year.  When that happens, you get really lopsided things like 2:1 ratios for yards and time of possession.  Witt flat out got manhandled by a bigger team, to be quite honest.
- Witt's game plan for this was never going to include scoring 40 points.  It was going to be on their defense to keep Frostburg in check and set up the offense with short field opportunities.  This did happen in spots, BUT...
- Turnovers, man.  Witt made a critical turnovers in critical positions.  Witt got the ball to start the 3rd quarter trailing 14-0.  Not ideal, but not bad...halftime adjustments, you get down there get a score and you're in the game.  Kennedy gets intercepted on the first play, hands Frostburg a short field which they convert and now you're 21-0 and it's total desperation mode at this point.  Then, right after Witt forces a turnover to be in plus position and a chance to cut the thing to 21-14, Kennedy throws another pick on the goal line to end that scoring chance.  Still 21-7.  And then lastly, in the 4th quarter, not a turnover per se, but Witt turns it over on downs at the FSU 4 yard line.  The Tiger defense had asserted some control at this point late in the game, forced three and out but then DeLane Fitzgerald pulled off the call of the round faking a punt out of his own end zone. It worked, 93 yards later it's 28-7 and the game was over. 

There's some truth to this being Witt's worst game of the year, but that doesn't give proper credit to Frostburg St.  They were confident, strong, fast, and they pantsed Wittenberg on their own field.  That's going to be a really good game next week at W&J.
Great recap of the game. One play you did forget was the dropped pass that would have been a touchdown in the 4th quarter, ouch. It would have only made it 28-14 but it was typical of the day for Wittenberg.

NCAC4Life

Wally Wabash

I unfortunately feel the NCAC was down this year and playing weak teams in a majority of your games does not prepare anyone for NCAA play!

smedindy

i really didn't mean to slight Frostburg; they played well. But Witt did play their worst game.

smedindy

Quote from: NCAC4Life on November 19, 2017, 05:20:45 PM

Wally Wabash

It didn't hurt Mt. Union - yet. The OAC was meh. Trine and Franklin seemed to do OK despite their leagues. Good teams are good teams, no matter who they play.

I unfortunately feel the NCAC was down this year and playing weak teams in a majority of your games does not prepare anyone for NCAA play!

formerd3db

Wally Wabash

I agree; I been saying this for several years now.  I posted my opinion, similar to this, over on the CCIW board.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Wabash1

Wally Wabash

I didn't see a lot of games but that was the feeling I had as well. For example watching the Bell game it looked like both teams were really small in size. That could just be from watching more D1 than D3 this year. I need to take a look at the rosters and see if this is true or not.

formerd3db

Quote from: Wabash1 on November 20, 2017, 05:33:52 AM

Wally Wabash

I didn't see a lot of games but that was the feeling I had as well. For example watching the Bell game it looked like both teams were really small in size. That could just be from watching more D1 than D3 this year. I need to take a look at the rosters and see if this is true or not.

Wabash1:

Interesting observation.  I have tended to look at that aspect in general as well.  In recent years (and particularly last year, even though we were 7-3 in 2016), I thought that we (Hope) were really small in size overall.  However, this year in 2017, we were much bigger. Of course, some of that can be confirmed by checking the roster and is in many cases, yet, I am talking about a general "side line" glance as I assume you are as well.   It is cyclic for sure over time.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

sigma one

Except at linebacker, I don't think Wabash was small this year.  Actually, one could argue that they were  generally big for a DIII team.  Here's the roster sizes for the players they routinely used--starters in the Bell game, some others who started during the season, and frequent subs:

TE  250 (starter); 248, 6-6 210 (backups)
         OL 310, 282, 317, 287, 288 (the Bell Same starters); 302, 347 (top backups)
         WR 193, 6-4 190, 158 (small); 6-4, 210 (starter at beginning of season, injured)
         HB 219
         RB 182, 206 (gained over 1300 yards), 214 (backup)
         QB 6-2 202

DL 216, 290, 297; 251 (starter most of the year), 234 (backup)
         LB 208, 204, 195, 206;  190 (starter until game 7 or 8), 206 (backup)   
             Smallish at LB, and certainly smaller than in years' past
        CB 183, 188; 158 (backup, starter in several games)
         S  193, 202; 206 (backup)

formerd3db

Quote from: sigma one on November 20, 2017, 06:02:24 PM
Except at linebacker, I don't think Wabash was small this year.  Actually, one could argue that they were  generally big for a DIII team.  Here's the roster sizes for the players they routinely used--starters in the Bell game, some others who started during the season, and frequent subs:

TE  250 (starter); 248, 6-6 210 (backups)
         OL 310, 282, 317, 287, 288 (the Bell Same starters); 302, 347 (top backups)
         WR 193, 6-4 190, 158 (small); 6-4, 210 (starter at beginning of season, injured)
         HB 219
         RB 182, 206 (gained over 1300 yards), 214 (backup)
         QB 6-2 202

DL 216, 290, 297; 251 (starter most of the year), 234 (backup)
         LB 208, 204, 195, 206;  190 (starter until game 7 or 8), 206 (backup)   
             Smallish at LB, and certainly smaller than in years' past
        CB 183, 188; 158 (backup, starter in several games)
         S  193, 202; 206 (backup)

In seeing that info, I agree with you.  That is very good size (big) for DIII lineman, although a bit small at the LB position.