MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PantherGuy

Congrats to LaGrange and Coach Wallace on a fantastic season!!!  Our guys showed toughness throughout the season and you are correct "Ben" it was a great matchup between the Panthers and Centre.

I really enjoyed going to the USA-South Championship game at Maryville the week before.  Always fun going back to East Tennessee. It was particularly touching seeing Coach Wallace's mentor, MC Head Coach Randy Lambert, give Wallace a big hug after the game.  Coach Lambert did a great job getting Coach Wallace ready to become a head coach. 

It was, however, ironic the championship was won at Maryville and especially won in front of MC's athletic director Kandis Schram who went out of her way to make Coach Wallace's stay as an assistant coach very difficult.  Maryville has had alot of success despite Schram being their AD and alot of credit has to go to Randy Lambert who was the AD for 20 years before stepping down just to coach basketball.  But you can see Lambert still drives that athletic department.

scottiedoug

What could an AD do to keep an assistant coach who has been offered or wants a good head coaching opportunity?  I guess she could fire Randy and promote Kendall.  Sure.

mattgrubb

Congrats to Coaches Wallace, McGreal, and Watson.  What a great season for the Panthers.  Now they have tasted a little blood and they will work even harder this off season to get better and make the league better.  It was a great win for those guys to win at their home.  It was great to see them as they will always be family.  I watched the game online and was very proud of their effort but everyone knows it is HARD to win on the road in the NCAA tourney.  Heck, its hard to win at home in the tourney.  Heres to many more successful seasons for the Panthers.

Now, I will have to quit referring to Coach Wallace as the disciple of defense after reading his interview before the Centre game.  I will have a new tag line for him soon.

Also, Schram aint doin a bad job.  Randy never had a football team go to the playoffs when he was there.  It has to be tough for her to work in the shadows of Lambert.  And believe that is a big shadow.  That head can block out the sun.  I know Randy does everything to support her and the entire athletic family.  It was tough for her to manage 2 legends on that men's basketball bench cause Wallace is a legend in the making.

Also, guess what J-Byrd was a sophomore this year so to close out this year with a little hint of whats to come for next year I will quote Beyonce' "I don't think you're ready fo' this jelly"  Go Scots!!!!

scottiedoug

I am already looking forward to next year.

scottiedoug

Mr. Grubby's lobbying for JBird must have been the secret ingredient that got him first team All-South as a soph.  Not bad work!!

scottiedoug

Maryville announced 11 recruits for men's basketball, all freshmen-to-be.  Hard to tell from the press, but Coach Lambert's comments suggest that several of them could help pretty quickly and that several will need some time.  A familar story!

They are from TN, GA, and Alabama, mostly.

mattgrubb

Cant wait to see who actually shows up on campuses soon.  Commitments are great at the D3 level but showing up is most important.

bballlover

I see where the schedules are starting to come out. Any thoughts?

mattgrubb

my scottie dogs are a disappointing 1-1, oh well, first game jitters even though they are upper classmen heavy and the game was at home. I blame coach hernandez. Better be the last home loss of the season.  I will not miss another home game so they will be motivated to impress the grubby one.  Looks like they have a balanced attack on offense.  Hopefully they will pick it up on defense and really blossom.  It is a long season and this team could be special.

I was PC only lost to division 1 PC-presbyterian by 10???  good for them.  I hope the overall strength of the conference is good this year as I want to see some good games!

hasanova

Guilford (3-0) over the Pride (1-1) at Greensboro College tonight, 76-65.  GCQ led by 20 in the second half, but GCP did pull within 8 in the last few minutes.  The Quakers had four players in double figures led by Matt McCarthy's 20.  Greensboro had two players in double figures led by Devan Gregory's 27.  I think the key was Guilford's 10 of 22 three-point shooting compared to Greensboro's 5 of 23.

scottiedoug

I went to Emory and Henry to see the MC Scots dismantle the team picked last in the ODAC and watched a close game instead. Either the Wasps are better than they are supposed to be, or....

Wasps had one player MC could not shut down and he scored 28.  They had a big guy in the middle who was not kind to Jaumanee Byrd, who fouled out having not done much.  Without Tanner Torres or Spencer Shoffner, I would have had to take a lot of crap from my friend at Emory.  Oscar did well on the boards.

It is early yet.

hasanova

Quote from: scottiedoug on November 20, 2014, 10:05:48 AM
I went to Emory and Henry to see the MC Scots dismantle the team picked last in the ODAC and watched a close game instead. Either the Wasps are better than they are supposed to be, or....

Wasps had one player MC could not shut down and he scored 28.  They had a big guy in the middle who was not kind to Jaumanee Byrd, who fouled out having not done much.  Without Tanner Torres or Spencer Shoffner, I would have had to take a lot of crap from my friend at Emory.  Oscar did well on the boards.

It is early yet.
E&H surprised some teams at the end of the season last year ... not unexpected to see more progress.

scottiedoug

Scots hold on to beat Sewanee in OT.  Oscar Butler came up big at the end.  I think he could score many more points than he usually does if he really wanted to....He and Ford, the seniors, were the difference down the stretch.

mattgrubb

i saw the scots play Johnson U last night and I was impressed in spurts.  What was really impressive was Logan Brewer.  That is a grown man and needs to play like it more.  He reminds me of the old school D3 posts just a big back em down and lay it in type of post.  Nothing flashy just gets the job done.  The scots have a lot of flash but that guy is old school and that is why the old alums love him.  The scots look big and experienced in the post and young and indecisive in other areas.  Although, Shoffner is always entertaining and C Ford looked steady. 

The scots have a test with Oglethorpe and then what will hopefully be a battle with Emory.  Gonna be a very telling weekend.

Other observations, Tom Robinson was there and so was MC dance all star Sheila Evans.  Coach Hernandez's hair looked amazing as always and Coach Lambert is still not wearing a blazer when he coaches!!!!  Happy B-day Coach Placeres.

bballlover

Piedmont at Sewanee tonight. Huge early test for the young Lions.