D3 Wrestling

Started by NCF, June 15, 2012, 10:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCF

There have been some discussions on the cciw bball board about the decline of wrestling in D3. I think it was mentioned that only 88 schools sponsor wrestling. Thoughts? comments? suggestions?
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Gray Fox

Title IX and budget challenges.
Fierce When Roused

NCF

Quote from: Gray Fox on June 19, 2012, 04:59:19 PM
Title IX and budget challenges.
I would agree with Title IX, seems to be a problem for men's sports.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

Bishopleftiesdad

With the cuts at the upper levels those kids that would have gone D1 or D2 are moving down to D3. While the numbers are going down I have to wonder about the quality. I would assume it would go up.

My son hopes to wrestle in college, and looking at schools for academic purposes it looks like D3 is the best route for him. He has been a district qualifier but he may never be a state placer or Qualifier. He is only a sophomore so there is still time but this is a reality we are looking at.

Many of the Schools he has started looking at do not participate in wrestling. Currently the NCAC for example does not offer it, except for Wabash which competes in the Mid-States wrestling conference . It is offered at some OAC schools but not all.

NCF

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on January 25, 2013, 01:52:53 PM
With the cuts at the upper levels those kids that would have gone D1 or D2 are moving down to D3. While the numbers are going down I have to wonder about the quality. I would assume it would go up.

My son hopes to wrestle in college, and looking at schools for academic purposes it looks like D3 is the best route for him. He has been a district qualifier but he may never be a state placer or Qualifier. He is only a sophomore so there is still time but this is a reality we are looking at.

Many of the Schools he has started looking at do not participate in wrestling. Currently the NCAC for example does not offer it, except for Wabash which competes in the Mid-States wrestling conference . It is offered at some OAC schools but not all.
Elmhurst has a great program and North Central is good as well. Good luck with your search.

Bishopleftiesdad

Thanks,
I will have him take a look and see if they fit.

NCF

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on January 28, 2013, 12:15:03 PM
Thanks,
I will have him take a look and see if they fit.
Platteville and Carrol were some of the other schools that contacted my son as well. You might want to check out which D3 schools still offer wrestling and go from there.

Bishopleftiesdad

I have been out to D3wrestle.com and we are breaking it down based on Academics. Trying to determine which schools meet the academics wants and we will try to get his information to those schools.

He is a very good student and believe as per the test scores that he will fall somewhere between 31 and 35 on the ACT when he takes it. He is already getting tons of email from schools related to academics.

I asked him to send me a list, since they go straight to his email.

Thanks for your help.

NCF

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on January 29, 2013, 12:26:20 PM
I have been out to D3wrestle.com and we are breaking it down based on Academics. Trying to determine which schools meet the academics wants and we will try to get his information to those schools.

He is a very good student and believe as per the test scores that he will fall somewhere between 31 and 35 on the ACT when he takes it. He is already getting tons of email from schools related to academics.

I asked him to send me a list, since they go straight to his email.

Thanks for your help.
With that high of an ACT, your son will qualify for the highest level academic scholarship available at most D3 schools. For example, North Central has an honor, dean and presidential scholarship, renewable for four years. The presidential scholarship currently is $17,500 per year. I don't know how other schools handle their academic scholarships, so there may be some that give more (or less). Either way, it is a great start toward helping finance his college education.

NCF

Seriously-the Olympic Committee votes to DROP wrestling from the 2020 Olympics :o :o ??? :'(

Bishopleftiesdad

Yeah, Of all the sports to remove from the Olympics, Why choose wrestling. It is one of the harder tickets to get. It is always sold out. Now they need to compete with Sofball/Baseball and roller sports to try to get back in.

I cannot believe that wrestling will not be a core sport. It has only been around since the original Olympics and the the Modern era.

NCF

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on February 13, 2013, 10:49:36 AM
Yeah, Of all the sports to remove from the Olympics, Why choose wrestling. It is one of the harder tickets to get. It is always sold out. Now they need to compete with Sofball/Baseball and roller sports to try to get back in.

I cannot believe that wrestling will not be a core sport. It has only been around since the original Olympics and the the Modern era.
Hopefully enough people lobby to get it back. Already read an article about a future Olympic hopeful who is thinkingv about switching to judo.

Bishopleftiesdad

Yeah with more athletes focusing om one sport, Wrestling is losing quite a few kids that years ago would have wrestled in the off season, specifically football. Now take away the absolute pinnacle of the sport and remove another reason to wrestle.

David Collinge

Channel surfing on a rare day off (thank you Gen'l Washington!), what do I find on the Big Ten Network but a wrestling match between Michigan State and ..... Olivet! Always cool to see a D3 team prominently featured, even if they are getting creamed.

Bishopleftiesdad

OWU had an article about there new club sport. You guessed it, it is wrestling. They have not had a match yet but they just got a coach. This sport is not new for OWU. It turns out they had wrestling as a varsity sport until they joined the NCAC. In 1971 they went 13-0 and won the OAC.