Division III Golf

Started by GillCJ1, December 04, 2014, 11:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GillCJ1

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but are there any other D3 Golf fans out there?  If you couldn't tell by my post history, I'm a UMHB fan (mostly football, but also have interests in soccer and golf).  I'd love to chat with some people about this wonderful sport - even if your school of choice doesn't field a golf team!
ASC Football Champs 2002-03, 2005-2018 | D-III National Champions 2016, 2018

2016 National Confidence Playoff Pick 'Em Champion
2017 ASC Pick 'Em Co-Champion

Gray Fox

Olin Brown went to Occidental.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olin_Browne

He took up golf after his freshman year.  That means that Tiger has been playing longer. ::)

Fierce When Roused

BlueZoneBruin

I'd love to have some chats about D3 Golf, but I really only follow it on the women's side. I'm a George Fox fan, and our women's team has had a pretty good run over the past few years. I had the chance to see them play in a tournament they hosted last weekend in Arizona, with #1, #3, #7, and #10 (I think), and they played really strong across the board.

GillCJ1

UMHB had a fairly good season.  The Men's team won their second straight ASC title, but finished below the cut-line in the NCAA Championship.  The Women's team finished just behind UT-Tyler in the ASC race, but were snubbed from competing in the NCAA Championship.  Shame.  Still, it wasn't a total loss for the team.  They had one member of the team invited to compete in the individual portion.  With that said, congrats to McKenzie Ralston (UMHB) for winning the NCAA Division III Individual Championship in Women's Golf!

WLCALUM83

WLC Men's Golf team also qualified for this year's NCAA tournament, but missed the cut after the first 2 days.

GillCJ1

Well, it's about that time of year again.  UMHB men and women have both competed in their first tournament.  The men finished 4th at the Flower City Preview in Rochester, NY.  The women finished second at the TLU Lady Bulldog Classic here in Texas.

I expect the men to perform well again this year.  They should contend for their third straight conference title.  The women took a big hit with individual national champion McKenzie Ralston graduating.  However, they do have some experienced members behind her.  Hope they step up!

madzillagd

DIII Golf is a tough sport to follow to say the least.  I do pay attention because my nephew's roommate and his twin are on the Williams team and it's fun to see how they are doing.  However, just when they get started up in the fall it's already over and you have to wait until spring to finish it off.  Williams at least does a good job on their daily recaps so you can follow along that way in addition to the scores but unfortunately a lot of school sites can't even do that. 

GillCJ1

Quote from: madzillagd on October 19, 2015, 05:54:24 PM
DIII Golf is a tough sport to follow to say the least.  I do pay attention because my nephew's roommate and his twin are on the Williams team and it's fun to see how they are doing.  However, just when they get started up in the fall it's already over and you have to wait until spring to finish it off.  Williams at least does a good job on their daily recaps so you can follow along that way in addition to the scores but unfortunately a lot of school sites can't even do that.

Good point, and very true.  It's tough for me to follow as well.  I try my best, though.  Most of the time I have to be content with social media updates or team sports recaps at the end of the day.  I keep hoping for better coverage, especially since UMHB has had some relatively recent success with their golf programs.  The women in particular.  I get that collegiate golf is not a big draw for a lot of people.

Ron Boerger

Look, it's a topic that hasn't seen a post in nearly two years!   :-)

Not sure how often this happens in the D3 world, but Trinity's Redmond Lyons qualified for the US Amateur by placing third in last month's D/FW qualifier.   He held off this season's NCAA D-1 runner-up (from Arkansas) by one stroke to clinch the final qualifying spot.   It is the first time a SCAC golfer has qualified for the event.

http://www.scacsports.com/sports/mgolf/2017-18/releases/lyons_qualifies_us_amateur

Gray Fox

Quote from: Ron Boerger on August 01, 2017, 09:53:28 AM
Look, it's a topic that hasn't seen a post in nearly two years!   :-)

Not sure how often this happens in the D3 world, but Trinity's Redmond Lyons qualified for the US Amateur by placing third in last month's D/FW qualifier.   He held off this season's NCAA D-1 runner-up (from Arkansas) by one stroke to clinch the final qualifying spot.   It is the first time a SCAC golfer has qualified for the event.

http://www.scacsports.com/sports/mgolf/2017-18/releases/lyons_qualifies_us_amateur
Good job Redmond.
Fierce When Roused

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

CollegeGolf18

I do have a waning interest. I played D3 golf. It was a fun experience.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

Inkblot

https://golfweek.com/2019/05/09/college-golf-ncaa-division-iii-mens-golf-championships-field/

42 teams (32 A, 3 B, 7 C) in the field, plus six individuals. After the second round, 18 teams and six individuals will make the cut.

Golf has a relatively low number of Pool C bids; the highest-ranked team to miss out is #18 Berry.
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

Inkblot

The top five going into the final round are ranked #2 through #6.

#1 Emory missed the cut.
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

Titan Q