BB: E8: Empire 8

Started by maxpower, February 23, 2007, 12:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjfcards

Quote from: Baseball101 on March 03, 2007, 11:53:10 PM
Quote from: Dr Baseball on February 28, 2007, 09:29:18 PM
thankyou caz.....your right about that, if youve never heard of the sunyac then you really must not be paying too much attention

If a player had such great talent wouldnt he want to show his talent off using wood bat?Instead of making it easy and playing with metal, metal is so much easier then wood bat. i would think that players using wood, would get more "looks" from scouts, showing on a college level they can hit with woood.

Wood is probably a benefit to a player that is looking to play at a higher level...Wood bats tend to produce a quicker stroke across the plate because they are heavier and a player needs to speed up the bat in order to hit the ball out in front. On the other hand Metal bats allow a player to take a longer swing. But it is much easier to hit with a metal bat and it is a definate advatage if you hit with wood all year, and then adjust to Metal.
GO FISHER!!!

BoomerIL

sjfcards.....

Interesting thought you have.  I've heard similar things about the wood tending to seem "quicker" through the hitting zone.  I think though that players who haven't used wood at all, except when they play summer ball, have a tendency to over compensate by swinging harder.  The dull sound of a ball hitting wood as opposed to metal, sometimes plays mind-games with a hitter until they get used to the wood sound.  Just my opinion.
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

John McGraw

#16 Ithaca opens the 2007 season by defeating LaVerne, 14-4. The game is the start of Ithaca's weeklong spring break trip to the OC.

Ithaca notes...
-Jeremy Peters started in center field and hit lead-off
-Kurt Bednarcyk (transfer from UR) hit second and played both third and shortstop
-Rob Raux started the game behind the plate and was relieved by Drew Ash
-Josh Smith started at shortstop
-Shane Wolf and Jason Friedman both were used as the DH, Wolf started
-Todd Czerno started at second base
-Ithaca started Nick Sottung on the mound. Ryan Mays, Adam Brown and Bryan Gardner also pitched
-IC scored four runs in the fourth and seventh innings after losing a 2-0 lead in the third on a pair of LaVerne runs
-Each team had double figure hits, no surprise
-LaVerne made seven errors, Shirley none

*Peters 3-for-6, 3 R, 3 RBI
*Bednarcyk 1-for-5, 2 R, 1 RBI
*Ferguson 2-for-6, 2 RBI, 1 R
*Czerno 2-for-4, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI
*Samela 2-for-5, 2 R
*Wolf and Friedman each had a hit, Friedman tallied two RBI
*Sottung allowed three runs on eight hits in five innings.

Ithaca's trip continues tomorrow with a game against nationally ranked Kean (pronounced Kane, if you're new to the board).

John McGraw

RIT and St. John Fisher each took their spring break trips last week. Here's the results. RIT went to Arizona, St. John Fisher went to Florida.

RIT 8 Pomona 2
RIT 15 Wartburg 12
RIT 12 Wabash 4
Aurora 5 RIT 2, Aurora 6 RIT 5
RIT 4 Rockford 3
RIT 7 Lebanon Valley 4

Heck of a start for the Tigers. Stats are only updated for two games, but it looks like RIT is hitting the ball pretty well. Congrats on the big win over Wartburg. Though, the Knights look to be struggling a little to start the year.

St. John Fisher 10 Husson 4
Widener 1 St. John Fisher 0
St. John Fisher 14 John Jay 1
St. John Fisher 6 Husson 2
St. John Fisher 17 Widener 5
RPI 3 St. John Fisher 2

Kind of weird to see RPI playing St. John Fisher in any sport, let alone baseball. Especially when the programs are only four-to-five hours apart in upstate New York. Still, good start for Fisher.

John McGraw

#20 Kean defeated #16 Ithaca, 11-8, this afternoon at Claremont-Mudd Scripps College in Claremont, CA

Details provided by the Kean website.

-Kean's Ryan Clark broke an 8-8 tie in the bottom of the eighth inning with a three-run homerun
-Game lasted three and a half hours, and had a combined 19 runs, 23 hits, nine errors and FIVE BALKS
-Ithaca led 6-5 after the first three innings, Kean took an 8-6 lead in the bottom of the fourth inning and Ithaca tied things up in the top of the fifth.
-Shane Wolf started for Ithaca and was pounded. He gave up eight runs on seven hits, walked four and struck out five. He was also called for two balks
-Matt LaVoie, nor Brendan Conway, would fare much better. Conway gave up the game-winning homer in the eighth after LaVoie had gotten knocked around a bit.
-Kean starter Joe Rizzo gave up six runs (three earned) on six hits in 2.1 innings

*Peters 3-for-4, 1 R, 2 SB, lead-off
*Bednarcyk 2-for-5, 1 RBI, 3B
*Raux 2-for-5, 1 R, catcher
*Ferguson 2-for-4, 3 R, first
*Samela 2-for-4, 1 R, 2 RBI
*Friedman 0-for-4, 2 R, DH

Ithaca is now 1-1 this season. The Bombers play Occidental tomorrow in LA at 2:30 PM PDT.

superman57

dude that ithaca team really sucks...how could they lose a game come on...they need to fire the coach right now
Quote from: Tags on October 10, 2007, 10:59:38 PM
You're the only dood on the board that doesn't know & accept that '57 can't spell.

Poor grammar and horrible spelling... it's just how he rolls.

John McGraw

#16 Ithaca drops its second straight. The Bombers fall to Occidental, 9-4. Shane Wolf had two hits and two RBI.

No more details available. I'll try to post some when the box goes up in the morning. IC falls to 1-2. It doesn't get any easier. They'll play Chapman tomorrow at 2:30 PM.

utilitycat17

Quote from: John McGraw on March 13, 2007, 11:42:31 PM
#16 Ithaca drops its second straight. The Bombers fall to Occidental, 9-4. Shane Wolf had two hits and two RBI.

No more details available. I'll try to post some when the box goes up in the morning. IC falls to 1-2. It doesn't get any easier. They'll play Chapman tomorrow at 2:30 PM.

Is that for real?  Did Ithaca really lose to Occidental?  For anyone who doesn't know Occidental is one of the weakest programs in the country.  If I were a fan of Ithaca I would be very concerned by this loss.  This could be a sign that this Ithaca team could not be as good as they usually are.  For anyone who looks at Occidental's record (11-9) as an excuse they only have 2 "good" wins.  One against Whittier and this one.  If they lost to Occidental, tonight against Chapman could be a long game.

JQV

Quote from: Superman57 on March 13, 2007, 08:34:59 PM
dude that ithaca team really sucks...how could they lose a game come on...they need to fire the coach right now

You misread the previous post super.  We are talking about Ithaca, not Fisher.  Bomber fans don't have quite the itchy trigger finger. +k for the sarcasm on your alma mater.

Quote from: utilitycat17 on March 14, 2007, 01:53:47 PMIs that for real?  Did Ithaca really lose to Occidental?  For anyone who doesn't know Occidental is one of the weakest programs in the country.  If I were a fan of Ithaca I would be very concerned by this loss.  This could be a sign that this Ithaca team could not be as good as they usually are.  For anyone who looks at Occidental's record (11-9) as an excuse they only have 2 "good" wins.  One against Whittier and this one.  If they lost to Occidental, tonight against Chapman could be a long game.

Take it easy.  It is their third game after spending a month in the gym.  I think it is a little rash to start jumping into gorges...

John McGraw

Quote from: John McGraw on March 13, 2007, 11:42:31 PM

-Five-run fifth inning undoes the Bombers at Oxy.
-Both teams hit the ball very well and combined for 23 hits, though they also combined for 15 runners left on base.
-Ithaca led, 4-2, going into the bottom of the fifth inning. They plated one in the first, two in the fourth and one in the fifth - but wouldn't score after that.
-Adam Brown started for IC and didn't get out of the fifth inning. He allowed seven runs on nine hits. Matt Dorn relieved Brown and pitched the rest of the way. Dorn allowed a couple runs on three hits.

Offensively, not a bad showing, but the bats did cool off a little.
*Wolf 2-for-3, 2 RBI
*Smith 1-for-3, HR, 2 RBI
*Ferguson 3-for-4, 1 R
*Friedman 2-for-3
Everyone else struggled a little at the plate. Kurt Bednarcyk didn't play. It was Raux-Smith-Czerno-Friedman from left-to-right around the infield. Steve Gulotta was the starting catcher and Eric Maya didn't start either.

I'm not too worried about the result. If Ithaca's hitting the ball this well early and Rob Raux is only batting .273 with no RBI - that's a good thing. Peters and Ferguson are each hitting over .500 in the first three games.

It's still early. Ithaca will play their fourth game of the season tonight. If Oxy is 11-9 now, that would have been their 20th game. No worries. Things will be ironed out by the time the Bombers return to the South Hill.

John McGraw

Other Empire 8 scores this week...

Monday
Utica 10 Colby-Sawyer 2, Colby Sawyer 4 Utica 0
*Evan Buckalew wins first game as UC's new skipper

Tuesday
Utica 8 Mount Aloysius 6, Mount Aloysius 11 Utica 2

Wednesday - Utica vs. Vassar
Thursday - Utica at Rhode Island College

utilitycat17

Quote from: Chairman JoseQViper on March 14, 2007, 02:36:30 PM

Take it easy.  It is their third game after spending a month in the gym.  I think it is a little rash to start jumping into gorges...

That may be, but I can't remember the last time Occidental beat anyone that would be considered a decent opponent.  That includes all of the teams who come out of the cold year in and year out.  It is very early in Ithaca's season, but I am still in shock.

maxpower

Dude, this is baseball. Did you know that last year, the Devil Rays beat the Yankees once or twice??? And I heard the Royals won against the Tigers in May!

There's a reason why there's five times as many games in a baseball season as in a football season. There's a whole lotta luck in baseball.

utilitycat17

Quote from: maxpower on March 14, 2007, 04:02:51 PM
Dude, this is baseball. Did you know that last year, the Devil Rays beat the Yankees once or twice??? And I heard the Royals won against the Tigers in May!

There's a reason why there's five times as many games in a baseball season as in a football season. There's a whole lotta luck in baseball.

It may be true that the Devil Rays beat the Yankees once or twice, however, last time I looked the Devil Rays field a team of major league players.  Occidental typically fields a team of players who have the appearance of not even playing high school ball.  It is possible that this Oxy team is the exception, but I have yet to see an Oxy team in the last seven years that I thought could compete in an average high school conference.  We are talking about a very poor program.  This may be the most significant win they have ever had.

maxpower

My point was that out of any sport, maybe any sport on earth, baseball is the one where you learn the LEAST from one game. I can think of few, if any teams, where a loss by IC, especially on the Spring trip would make me stand up and worry about the season.

Besides, bad program or not, any team from SoCal has a distinct advantage over one from Upstate NY. Why do you think 50% of MLB draftees come from SoCal, Texas or Florida?