D3 Proposals at the 2018 NCAA Convention

Started by Ron Boerger, January 12, 2018, 12:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The way the bill is written, to paraphrase Pat Coleman, is rather generic and vague. Of course it got shot down. That kind of writing opens itself up to problems.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

sunny

Quote from: justafan12 on August 13, 2018, 01:06:21 PM
You really can't make this stuff up.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/diii-presidents-council-rejects-snack-proposal?sf195300474=1

Not sure D3 schools will continue to exist in the future.

Does it sound ridiculous on the surface? Yes, it does. On the other hand, Division III philosophy is supposed to very much be about not giving student-athletes too many additional perks beyond what the general student body has. Further, the idea of providing these *out* of season seems really out of whack since there are already restrictions on how/what kind of MEALS can be provided IN season.  What I will agree is ridiculous is the hand-wringing over some Division III schools being able to offer "better snacks" than others* - there are all kinds of things that athletes will get/get a higher quality of at Division III school "X" compared to Division III school "Y" and I very much doubt that snacks is going to be what sways a recruit. If Division III presidents are really concerned about a level playing field, they'd be going after caps on gear or facilities spending or streaming spending or all sorts of things more likely to sway people than snacks.

*though obviously some sort of good sense would have to be used ... I'm not sure anyone would be on board with someone just backing up a Frito Lay truck to an athlete's dorm room.

I also might add that the future of Division III in its current form is probably much safer than that of the opposite end of the spectrum ...