UAA 2016

Started by blooter442, May 13, 2016, 03:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swibbles

Drablos has started every game in defense for the best defense in the league. I don't think it's particularly surprising that he was voted ROY. Capotosto is the key to Chicago's midfield and has had a great season.  Both awards seem well deserved from what I have seen.

blooter442

Quote from: Jump4Joy on November 14, 2016, 06:21:36 PM
Ocel will have to show up in ways that he did not in the Elite 8 last year. Viera was the engine in the Brandeis loss to Trinity. I notice he scored the OT goal on Sunday.

Just as a matter of correction: Amherst's Owen was not beaten near post by the restart from distance at MIT.

I said that he was beaten at his near post at MIT, not the near post from where the shot was taken. If you look at the video of the goal, he was hugging the left (his right) post, standing about 1 yard off of the stick, and the ball still managed to sneak by him on that same side. It was a nice shot, for sure, but given that he was cheating far to that side, I'd still expect him to do better, especially considering the distance from which the shot was taken.

Vieira does seem to be finding his mojo at the right time, and Ocel has been playing well. That said, I do agree with you - he will need to step up big if Brandeis is to keep from being overwhelmed by the Amherst midfield. I think Martin is especially dangerous, and I would agree with Mr.Right that he is playing his best right now. Also, Hlimonaz is Amherst's X factor this year, and I think his arrival has added a new dimension to the Jeffs' attack. I also like Amherst's midfield, and while Orozco gets most of the headlines I think that the guys who do the dirty work - such as Forest Sisk and Dane Lind - are also workhorses and do their jobs very well.

Letthekidsplay59

Near post is the same post for the shooter and goalkeeper. It's the one closer to where the shot is taken.

blooter442

Quote from: Letthekidsplay59 on November 14, 2016, 08:24:47 PM
Near post is the same post for the shooter and goalkeeper. It's the one closer to where the shot is taken.

Regardless of the definition, my point remains: if a goalkeeper is standing a yard away from one post (and thus 7 yards from the other post) and the shot beats him through that 1-meter gap from 30+ yards, that is a mistake and the goalkeeper should do better.

To speak to my general stance, I have nothing against Owen or Amherst. In fact, I think I am pretty fair in terms of providing both criticism and praise in my observations, and have been known to be critical of the team I support, which is more than some posters are willing to do. In fact, I will go so far as to say I would like to see Owen do well, as the kid has big shoes to fill coming in after one of the best Division III goalkeepers in history IMHO. If he turns around and makes fantastic saves and gets Amherst to the Final 4, I will for sure give him credit. I am simply opining that from the games I've watched he has not inspired confidence thus far.

4samuy

[Am I surprised with POY and. ROY, Yes.  Undeserving, Not in the least.  These two are coaches dreams.  Capotosto is the engine. One of those quick twitch athletes who controls the midfield by keeping it simple and not making mistakes. He also takes a majority of set pieces.  Drablos is big, tough, fast and smart on the back line who understands angles and quickest route to the ball and extremely strong on the ball with great distribution. IMO it's great that players garnish individual accolades that don't always show in the box score but does show in the win column. These are tough hard nosed winners.  Congrats to both.]

Mr.Right

Quote from: blooter442 on November 14, 2016, 08:48:49 PM
Quote from: Letthekidsplay59 on November 14, 2016, 08:24:47 PM

Regardless of the definition, my point remains: if a goalkeeper is standing a yard away from one post (and thus 7 yards from the other post) and the shot beats him through that 1-meter gap from 30+ yards, that is a mistake and the goalkeeper should do better.

To speak to my general stance, I have nothing against Owen or Amherst. In fact, I think I am pretty fair in terms of providing both criticism and praise in my observations, and have been known to be critical of the team I support, which is more than some posters are willing to do. In fact, I will go so far as to say I would like to see Owen do well, as the kid has big shoes to fill coming in after one of the best Division III goalkeepers in history IMHO. If he turns around and makes fantastic saves and gets Amherst to the Final 4, I will for sure give him credit. I am simply opining that from the games I've watched he has not inspired confidence thus far.

I remember the goal and I think it is on youtube. It was the far post but bloots is right it was a horrific GK'ing error to get blinded by his own wall and then somehow let the shot go right in when he had 2-3 seconds to make a save.

blooter442

Have to think UChicago will be strong again next year. They lose Desai at CF and Weis at CB but return pretty much everyone else, including Bonin in goal, UAA RoY Drablos, UAA PoY Capotosto, and Lopez/Koh/Adeyosun/etc. I think they perhaps underachieved by getting bounced in the Sweet 16 when many said they had an "easy" route to the Final 4, but Redlands deserved to win that game, although I do think Chicago was a bit unlucky. Desai has been up top for 4 years and he is a very good striker, and I think losing Weis might mean the defense needs time to adjust. However, with a very strong crew of players coming back a year more experienced I think Chicago will pick up where they left off and will be equally as strong – if not stronger. As someone who travels a bit for work and pleasure I'd like to get out to Chicago and watch a UAA homestead at Stagg next year and enjoy some Maltani's pizza. ;)

4samuy

Quote from: blooter442 on December 10, 2016, 10:39:26 AM
Have to think UChicago will be strong again next year. They lose Desai at CF and Weis at CB but return pretty much everyone else, including Bonin in goal, UAA RoY Drablos, UAA PoY Capotosto, and Lopez/Koh/Adeyosun/etc. I think they perhaps underachieved by getting bounced in the Sweet 16 when many said they had an "easy" route to the Final 4, but Redlands deserved to win that game, although I do think Chicago was a bit unlucky. Desai has been up top for 4 years and he is a very good striker, and I think losing Weis might mean the defense needs time to adjust. However, with a very strong crew of players coming back a year more experienced I think Chicago will pick up where they left off and will be equally as strong – if not stronger. As someone who travels a bit for work and pleasure I'd like to get out to Chicago and watch a UAA homestead at Stagg next year and enjoy some Maltani's pizza. ;)

I believe your absolutely correct about Chicago Next year.  They underachieved in the tournament and they know it.  They return 11 players who started at least 10 games last year and the most decorated Recruit that Chicago has ever had, 1st team high school all American from Ohio, freshman Gary Zhao who started eight games this year , who is technically very good, but struggled a bit with the physicality, should be more comfortable as he continues to get more physical.  And of course they are returning all the offensive fire power you mentioned.  IMHO, their defense may better than last year.  Although they will miss the leadership of DJ Weiss, the will become more athletic by bringing back the three other starters in front of Bonin and may move Freshman Nate Johnson back from outside mid, but that's only a guess.  This team is still deep and talented without many weaknesses and wouldn't be surprised if they are one the of the preseason favorites

UAA Insider

Congrats to UAA seniors Andreas Fatschel of CMU and Zach Broujos of CWRU for being awarded with NCAA postgraduate scholarships. Proud Tartan alum!

http://athletics.cmu.edu/generalnews/2016-2017/ncaapostgradfall

http://athletics.case.edu/sports/msoc/2016-17/releases/20170307kpb698