FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpringSt7

While I think that using the higher acceptance rates as a reason for success on the football field is both lazy and snobby, to be completely honest with you, I also think that if the NESCAC went to a longer season/schedule and was eligible to compete in the postseason, it wouldn't be long before they became somewhat nationally relevant--they'll never be in the Mount Union, Whitewater, Mary Hardin-Baylor tier, but they would contend. In every other team sport the acceptance rates are the same, and quite frankly, the admissions are probably more rigorous--if you're taking less kids each year, you can't mess with the averages as much.

The academic and athletic balance is noble, but I know for a fact there are plenty of kids that choose schools like Union and Dickinson over NESCAC schools because the football experience is better. That would swing the other way if the football experience was equal.

But can we ditch the bashing of successful, non-NESCAC football programs? Those kids and coaches work hard and bust their ass--that's why they win games, not because of the acceptance rates.

Nescacman

Quote from: SpringSt7 on December 23, 2019, 04:21:23 PM
While I think that using the higher acceptance rates as a reason for success on the football field is both lazy and snobby, to be completely honest with you, I also think that if the NESCAC went to a longer season/schedule and was eligible to compete in the postseason, it wouldn't be long before they became somewhat nationally relevant--they'll never be in the Mount Union, Whitewater, Mary Hardin-Baylor tier, but they would contend. In every other team sport the acceptance rates are the same, and quite frankly, the admissions are probably more rigorous--if you're taking less kids each year, you can't mess with the averages as much.

The academic and athletic balance is noble, but I know for a fact there are plenty of kids that choose schools like Union and Dickinson over NESCAC schools because the football experience is better. That would swing the other way if the football experience was equal.

But can we ditch the bashing of successful, non-NESCAC football programs? Those kids and coaches work hard and bust their ass--that's why they win games, not because of the acceptance rates.

Just for the record, we are innocent (for a change....kinder, somewhat gentler NESCACMAN)....although we did comment that the NESCAC is better academically top-to-bottom than the Centennial (which we could definitely prove out statistically through acceptance rate, average class rank, SAT scores, % of admits taking AP classes, etc., if necessary)...We agree, enough with all of that talk...thanks for stepping in Spring...

On a serious note, Happy Holidays to all of our NESCAC brothers (and an occassional sista) in arms (yes, even you Hs5-4)....it was a great 2019 and we are looking forward to an even better 2020!!! And a special thank you to our Panther friends in the north country for the early holiday gift...very sporting of you all and we look forward to wearing it (and perhaps burning it....kidding!) with pride...

Vandy74

Quote from: Nescacman on December 19, 2019, 05:21:31 PM
We had the honor of attending the D3 semi-final match-up last Saturday in Allentown, PA featuring the Mules of Muhlenberg (who knew Colby wasn't the only "Mule" out there!) against North Central from Illinois...We attended out of curiosity

Our very unscientific assessment....any and all teams in the NESCAC would get pasted by North Central ......however, we think the upper echelon of the NESCAC from 2019 (MID, Wes, TTUN) would give Muhlenberg a run for their money and we would give them a shot at a win...I've been saying for a long-time that the Centennial League is very comparable to the NESCAC and we continue to believe that after watching Muhlenberg play in person on Saturday.

Interesting observation.  In mid-November of 2013 Middhoops and I followed the Panther basketball team down to F & M for a season opening tournament.  Middlebury had a 4:00 start on Saturday and we decided to check out the campus for a few hours beforehand.  We lucked into watching most of a football game between the hosts and Gettysburg.  Franklin & Marshall won 36-26 and would close out their season the following weekend defeating Delaware Valley in the ECAC Southeast Bowl for a 7-4 slate.  Gettysburg's season ended at 4-6.  Middhoops and I left feeling that we'd seen a good football game but nothing that was played at a level any better than what we'd seen on any given Saturday on Youngman Field.

Trin9-0

Quote from: lumbercat on December 20, 2019, 09:49:53 PM
Quote from: lumbercat on December 17, 2019, 08:45:17 PM

With those comments from the Wesleyan syndicate it can't be too much longer before we see a measured response from The Coop. Expect another launching of the GIF from Trin 8-0 unless he escalates things to include all time Trin- Wes stats etc.

As predicted, like clockwork, Trin 8-0 posted the all time Trinity coaching records. They were 5-4- just move on.

Yikes, somebody isn't in the holiday spirit. Did you even read the post? I wasn't bragging about Trinity's coaching records, I was replying to Nescacman's comments regarding where Farley and Devanney should rank among all-time coaches. Listing where they stand among other NESCAC coaching legends from all league schools (not just Trinity) seems relevant to me.

Also, did I miss something or does Trinity having 5 wins last season prohibit me from replying? If that's the case then you'll probably have to just delete your account since Bates has mustered 5 wins in a season just twice in the past 50 years.

On an unrelated note; you have over 1,200 posts on this message board... how have you still not figured out how to correctly use the quote function? Happy holidays!  ::)
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

Nescacman

Quote from: Trin8-0 on December 27, 2019, 12:25:40 PM
Quote from: lumbercat on December 20, 2019, 09:49:53 PM
Quote from: lumbercat on December 17, 2019, 08:45:17 PM

With those comments from the Wesleyan syndicate it can't be too much longer before we see a measured response from The Coop. Expect another launching of the GIF from Trin 8-0 unless he escalates things to include all time Trin- Wes stats etc.

As predicted, like clockwork, Trin 8-0 posted the all time Trinity coaching records. They were 5-4- just move on.

Yikes, somebody isn't in the holiday spirit. Did you even read the post? I wasn't bragging about Trinity's coaching records, I was replying to Nescacman's comments regarding where Farley and Devanney should rank among all-time coaches. Listing where they stand among other NESCAC coaching legends from all league schools (not just Trinity) seems relevant to me.

Also, did I miss something or does Trinity having 5 wins last season prohibit me from replying? If that's the case then you'll probably have to just delete your account since Bates has mustered 5 wins in a season just twice in the past 50 years.

On an unrelated note; you have over 1,200 posts on this message board... how have you still not figured out how to correctly use the quote function? Happy holidays!  ::)

Can't we all just get along?!?   ;D

Happy New Year from NESCACMAN!!!

lumbercat

Trin 8-1

No offense intended- tongue in cheek on the 5-4 thing. I  knew you'd go to the archives soon thereafter in one way or another based on past performance but I guess I can't blame you for that.

Trinity is a great program that has accomplished great things. You can check my posts anytime to confirm I have a lot of respect for the job they do. I guess I'm just not used to winners with rabbit ears. I apologize for the shot, too easy to push your buttons and I shouldn't take advantage of that.

Happy Holidays and, as I said, I wouldn't want to be the team facing the Bantams in the opener next year.

On the IT thing you've got me nailed. I'm dependent on others for that stuff at work.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Hawk196 on December 23, 2019, 11:33:53 AM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 23, 2019, 09:22:54 AM
Quote from: nccfac on December 21, 2019, 08:42:25 PM
Quote from: Hawk196 on December 19, 2019, 05:33:51 PM
We had the honor of attending the D3 semi-final match-up last Saturday in Allentown, PA featuring the Mules of Muhlenberg (who knew Colby wasn't the only "Mule" out there!) against North Central from Illinois...We attended out of curiosity and because we know/recruited several student-athletes from North NJ who currently play for Muhlenberg...

In case you missed it, North Central pretty much destroyed Muhlenberg....the game was over at half-time...Muhlenberg, which had one of the top D3 defenses in the country, could not contain the North Central offense....on both sides of the ball, North Central's line dominated the Mules...

Our very unscientific assessment....any and all teams in the NESCAC would get pasted by North Central (from what we understand, their roster is full of D1 MAC conference transfers and rejects...based on size and skill, we believe it)....however, we think the upper echelon of the NESCAC from 2019 (MID, Wes, TTUN) would give Muhlenberg a run for their money and we would give them a shot at a win...I've been saying for a long-time that the Centennial League is very comparable to the NESCAC and we continue to believe that after watching Muhlenberg play in person on Saturday...btw, for the record, Muhlenberg could definitely use some NESCAC lessons on how to tailgate!

Here is a good barometer North Central acceptance rate = 60% and Muhlenberg = 48%

Average Nescac acceptance rate = 18%

Very telling IMHO

Latest US News and World Report shows Muhlenberg's acceptance rate at 62%, NCC at 56%. We are proud of our students, in fact one of our math graduates is a professor at Williams. Also, our football team has a higher GPA than the average for the student body. Every time we win a game in playoffs, I hear just this kind of nonsense being thrown around. Do a little digging, you'll find we have a good academic program, along with a great football team.

Don't listen to the nonsense. I could provide tens of thousands of examples of incredibly successful people who did not go to a NESCAC school, nor an Ivy League school. A debit is a debit........a credit is a credit. I manage risk capital for very wealthy people. I went to Swarthmore (a non-NESCAC/non-Ivy). I do not have a single NESCAC nor Ivy League graduate as a client anymore........and my average account balance is now around 12.6 million. My personal lawyer (#1 in the state of PA by the way) went to Bloomsburg State and Dickinson (for law school). That is not a Williams/Harvard pairing. My #2 client went to Holy Family (undergrad). No grad school for Ken. His net worth (zero inheritance) stands around 220 million.

So anytime that you hear or read the 'nonsense', pay it no mind. I've fired my share of NESCAC and Ivy League grads (from PepsiCo and Bain) and hired 'kids' from PA and NJ state schools. A young man or women who decides to do something more noble (teach and coach) will never make the money that someone chasing the green will, but as parents, we demand excellence from our schools and our teachers. That grad making $60K to teach and coach OUR KIDS is just as 'successful'  as another grad making $150K working 18 hour days slumming it for Goldman Sachs. In fact, the teacher/coach will have a much greater impact on many more lives than the Goldman Sachs employee.

Let them live in their dream world...................and choose, like you are, to live in the real world.

Mark Cuban once said, "it's not about where you got the piece of paper" (he's a Western PA kid who went to that hotbed of knowledge.........the University of Indiana. He was rejected by Carnegie Mellon and Duquense)..............."it's the things that you do, not how much you make, after you get it".

I've gotten to know MarK (through friends with the Mavs). He is spot on!

I read alot of blah, blah there.

I don't care about how much a few students make after graduation. My point is that the other schools have it easier in their recruitment of talented players. That's great that Johnny the starting quarterback, threw all these TDs to win and is so smart and successful(sometimes its who you know not what, that people get great jobs), how about the WR or the OL who could get into Muhlenberg, but not Williams or Amherst. My point is the recruitment pool is larger than the NESCAC schools because of the stringent process to GET INTO THE SCHOOL, not what they do after they graduate.

Blah Blah = Facts ;)

Nescacman

Happy New Year to the NESCAC Universe!!!  :)

As we head into 2020, we thought we would put together each program's wish list...a little bit tongue in cheek.. ;D

-Amhurst: A new QB and the Ephs to be bad again...
-UBates: 2 or more wins and maybe a win outside of Maine...
-Bowdoin: Some "Jimmy and Joe's" (including one that can throw the ball to someone wearing black and white) and maybe some support from the Polar Bear community...
-Colby: Some players on "O"to compliment their QB (a stud RB would help)...
-Hartford State: Offensive linemen and a stud RB...
-Hamilton: A new QB and building progress in 2019...
-Middlebury: Repeat of 2019....if they want to get greedy, how about a new stud TE???
-Tufts: A new QB and winning a few close games...
-TTUN: Beating Wesleyan and winning the Little 3...
-Wesleyan: NESCAC title and another Little 3...   

Trin9-0

An interesting article: "Adding Football Saved One College. Dumping It Boosted Another."

There was some chatter on this board a while back about Bowdoin potentially dropping football, so I thought this would be particularly relevant.
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

footballluv

Quote from: Vandy74 on December 24, 2019, 06:05:35 AM
We had the honor of attending the D3 semi-final match-up last Saturday in Allentown, PA featuring the Mules of Muhlenberg (who knew Colby wasn't the only "Mule" out there!) against North Central from Illinois...We attended out of curiosity

Our very unscientific assessment....any and all teams in the NESCAC would get pasted by North Central ......however, we think the upper echelon of the NESCAC from 2019 (MID, Wes, TTUN) would give Muhlenberg a run for their money and we would give them a shot at a win...I've been saying for a long-time that the Centennial League is very comparable to the NESCAC and we continue to believe that after watching Muhlenberg play in person on Saturday.

Interesting observation.  In mid-November of 2013 Middhoops and I followed the Panther basketball team down to F & M for a season opening tournament.  Middlebury had a 4:00 start on Saturday and we decided to check out the campus for a few hours beforehand.  We lucked into watching most of a football game between the hosts and Gettysburg.  Franklin & Marshall won 36-26 and would close out their season the following weekend defeating Delaware Valley in the ECAC Southeast Bowl for a 7-4 slate.  Gettysburg's season ended at 4-6.  Middhoops and I left feeling that we'd seen a good football game but nothing that was played at a level any better than what we'd seen on any given Saturday on Youngman Field.

This post says it all for me. D3 Football is D3 Football. My son has high school's rival's and mates in that game.

FredWilliamson

Heard Bowdoin let their DL Coach go last week. Any confirmation?

Hawk196

Quote from: FredWilliamson on January 13, 2020, 10:18:12 PM
Heard Bowdoin let their DL Coach go last week. Any confirmation?

Matt Leotti? Ex Tufts coach?

lumbercat

Leotti left Bowdoin a couple of years ago.
I think the guy in question here is Eric Westerfield.

Hawk196

Quote from: lumbercat on January 14, 2020, 10:45:21 AM
Leotti left Bowdoin a couple of years ago.
I think the guy in question here is Eric Westerfield.

I thought he went back after Tufts, but I checked and he is a teacher and def. coordinator for his high school, Delbarton

FredWilliamson

Yes, Eric Westerfield. I believe he's been there with Caputi, Wells and Hammer. If he is the DL Coach I heard he was let go.