FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzJohnnie and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

miac952

Quote from: USTBench on June 07, 2019, 10:31:02 AM
Quote from: nkwest on June 07, 2019, 08:48:43 AM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on June 06, 2019, 11:37:06 PM
You Tommies have got to work your story out.  Is UST's behind-the-back-two-point-play media campaign to burn the MIAC to the ground in a fit of sour grapes a savvy move or a crazy idea?  You all had a go at me for suggesting UST was doing just that sort of underhanded media campaign, even denying that such a thing was possible, but now we find that it's very clever indeed.

It's cute that you're unable or unwilling to draw a distinction between dropping a tip to a local writer with a long track record of writing about the MIAC/UST and controlling whether or not major media outlets dedicate air time to the story, much less what the likes of Scott Van Pelt, Tony Kornheiser, and Michael Wilbon have to say about it.

Narrator: Deep inside UST's evil lair overlooking O'Shaughnessy Stadium Dr. Sullivan, Glenn Caruso and Phil Esten make their EVELLLL plans!

Dr. Sullivan: Mr. Esten...put me through to the Disney Corporation. Tell them I need to speak with Scott Van Pelt at ESPN. I...have...a...conference...to...EMBARRASS for a 24 hour news cycle!

*a sinister orchestra plays DUNNN DUNNN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Dr. Sullivan, Phil Esten and Glenn Caruso laugh maniacally: muwahahaha....muwahahaha....MUWAHAHAHA

Narrator: What will our heroes do? Will Dr. Sullivan and her evil henchmen be able to brainwash Scott Van Pelt? Will the TERRIBLE TOMMIE TRIO be successful in manipulating the national media into hurting our heroes feelings? Who told Reusse about our heroes' plan to SAVE the conference?

Tune in next to: THE COALITION OF LOSERS

Oz runs to the kitchen in his St. Olaf footy pajamas to pour himself another bowl of Delusion-O's

Oz has gone off the deep end. He flipped sides in this deal every couple days over a a few months before settling on the conspiratorial UST national media hit campaign on the MIAC.

I do appreciate how influential he truly believes UST is though. If he is correct on the national media influence UST is already Notre Dame level.

OzJohnnie

Ok, serious, introspective questions.

What do you think the odds are that if Caruso hadn't run up the score and intentionally humiliated the weaker MIAC teams for about six years as he built the national reputation for the Tommies that UST would have still been kicked out?  If Caruso hadn't massively over-recruited good talent and then sent them "thanks but no thanks about spring training; you aren't needed" letters after they had made all their plans to join UST that he would have had better working relationships with his MIAC colleagues?

Why do you think Caruso went on the goodwill tour in the MIAC the last two years?  And how sour do you think Caruso made relationships in the MIAC so that two years of effort to heal the damage was unsuccessful?

Do you at all suspect that if but for Caruso, UST would still be an upstanding member of the MIAC?  I do.
[  

sowilson

Quote from: OzJohnnie on June 07, 2019, 08:20:06 PM
Ok, serious, introspective questions.

What do you think the odds are that if Caruso hadn't run up the score and intentionally humiliated the weaker MIAC teams for about six years as he built the national reputation for the Tommies that UST would have still been kicked out?  If Caruso hadn't massively over-recruited good talent and then sent them "thanks but no thanks about spring training; you aren't needed" letters after they had made all their plans to join UST that he would have had better working relationships with his MIAC colleagues?

Why do you think Caruso went on the goodwill tour in the MIAC the last two years?  And how sour do you think Caruso made relationships in the MIAC so that two years of effort to heal the damage was unsuccessful?

Do you at all suspect that if but for Caruso, UST would still be an upstanding member of the MIAC?  I do.

I don't.  I think UST's academic goals are more aligned with being a national university and not a liberal arts college (like STJ, GAC, etc).  Take a look at the rating groups used by US News and World Reports college guide for the MIAC schools.  I think we've touched on the true disparity a little bit in prior pages and that is cost.  Not so much the cost of facilities as those are things alumni like to give money towards and often the student body can use, but on operational costs.  Strength and Conditioning personal, trainers, nutritionists are one big cost (not really reported and not specific to a particular sport) and then it's the cost of assistant coaches and their quality, recruiting, and the myriad of things that make up the operational costs for each sport.  A bunch of pages ago  there was some cost information put out and it looked like UST was spending roughly $350K/yr on football operating costs.  I looked to find GAC's numbers and some of the other schools and they were spending roughly $100K/yr.  For GAC to up their operational spend that would be $100 per student increase over what they're spending now.  That's a number that I'm sure would get a college presidents attention.  How is the school served, how is the academic mission served, how are the students served by a tripling of operating costs?  We will never know the true answer but I wouldn't be surprised that the college presidents mainly made their decision based on cost.  UST is willing to spend at that level, good for them and I wish them well.  The other schools probably aren't willing to increase their spend to match: also a good decision.

MediaGuy

Having observed this whole situation over the last few months, I have come to a few logical conclusions that I would like some feedback on... If they are way off base let me know but this is an outsider's opinion.

1.  Given UST's massive enrollment advantage compared to the other schools in the MIAC, if nothing had changed and the schools had grown/maintained the current levels of enrollment...UST would have left the MIAC voluntarily or been asked to leave in the next 10-15 years.

2.  Most current college presidents have some level of tact...i.e. they know how to play the political game to get the most beneficial results without upsetting the apple cart too much...and they would try to get things done behind closed doors...so to speak.

3.  This tension has been building for quite some time, not only on the athletic field but also recruiting students/fundraising/financial aid packages.

Given these logical assumptions, if I were a MIAC president that felt UST was no longer a good fit for the MIAC, I would have joined with other like-minded presidents within the league and told UST behind closed doors and away from public perview"one way or another, UST will no longer be a member of the MIAC as it exists today in 5-6 years."...and let UST decide what to do next.  That would make everyone in the league know that maintaining the status quo is no longer an option, and allow UST to transition on their own terms, instead of doing things publicly like what has played out over the last few months.

I also have to assume, without examining the MIAC meeting documents over the last few years, that this exact ultimatum was given to UST previously and UST decided to "call a bluff" forcing the other members to make the "Tommy Toss" in full public view.

This is just my opinion as an outsider, but citing "Athletic parity" as a reason to kick UST out of the MIAC was the biggest mistake the presidents made...they could have instead cited the enrollment/fundraising/recruiting reason that UST no longer fit the blueprint of the MIAC as well as publicly releasing the previously made ultimatum to show how they gave UST the opportunity to leave on their own terms. 

That's just my outsiders opinion of the situation, and I'm sure you guys will rip it apart, but I have a hard time believing that all the other presidents are dumb enough to make this kind of decision on a whim, or that 1 or 2 extremely pissed off members can force the other members hands by threatening to leave the league...but like I said, I am an outsider so I might have misread the situation.

sjusection105

Quote from: MediaGuy on June 07, 2019, 11:32:58 PM
Having observed this whole situation over the last few months, I have come to a few logical conclusions that I would like some feedback on... If they are way off base let me know but this is an outsider's opinion.

1.  Given UST's massive enrollment advantage compared to the other schools in the MIAC, if nothing had changed and the schools had grown/maintained the current levels of enrollment...UST would have left the MIAC voluntarily or been asked to leave in the next 10-15 years.

2.  Most current college presidents have some level of tact...i.e. they know how to play the political game to get the most beneficial results without upsetting the apple cart too much...and they would try to get things done behind closed doors...so to speak.

3.  This tension has been building for quite some time, not only on the athletic field but also recruiting students/fundraising/financial aid packages.

Given these logical assumptions, if I were a MIAC president that felt UST was no longer a good fit for the MIAC, I would have joined with other like-minded presidents within the league and told UST behind closed doors and away from public perview"one way or another, UST will no longer be a member of the MIAC as it exists today in 5-6 years."...and let UST decide what to do next.  That would make everyone in the league know that maintaining the status quo is no longer an option, and allow UST to transition on their own terms, instead of doing things publicly like what has played out over the last few months.

I also have to assume, without examining the MIAC meeting documents over the last few years, that this exact ultimatum was given to UST previously and UST decided to "call a bluff" forcing the other members to make the "Tommy Toss" in full public view.

This is just my opinion as an outsider, but citing "Athletic parity" as a reason to kick UST out of the MIAC was the biggest mistake the presidents made...they could have instead cited the enrollment/fundraising/recruiting reason that UST no longer fit the blueprint of the MIAC as well as publicly releasing the previously made ultimatum to show how they gave UST the opportunity to leave on their own terms. 

That's just my outsiders opinion of the situation, and I'm sure you guys will rip it apart, but I have a hard time believing that all the other presidents are dumb enough to make this kind of decision on a whim, or that 1 or 2 extremely pissed off members can force the other members hands by threatening to leave the league...but like I said, I am an outsider so I might have misread the situation.

This pretty much sums it up. The entire situation was handled poorly to say the least.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

Mr.MIAC

I just want to say, this whole thing shows the kinship amongst the Tommies, Johnnies, and Bennies. I'm apt to point out how the Johnnies and the Bennies are, for lack of a better term, "quaint." That being said, I hope they go on to dominate the sh*t out of the MIAC.

jamtod

So anybody have any insights from spring practices/transfers on what the top teams are going to look like?
We all know SJU and Bethel return some solid QBs. UST is a huge question mark there but had a lot of young talent around the field.
I heard something of a transfer QB to UST, but know little about him.

faunch

Quote from: jamtoTommie on June 08, 2019, 11:29:43 PM
So anybody have any insights from spring practices/transfers on what the top teams are going to look like?
We all know SJU and Bethel return some solid QBs. UST is a huge question mark there but had a lot of young talent around the field.
I heard something of a transfer QB to UST, but know little about him.
Working that Chicago pipeline. I heard Chicago Tommie had something to do with bringing in Al.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

stanbob

Quote from: MediaGuy on June 07, 2019, 11:32:58 PM

Spot on.
Everyday is payday in paradise.

57Johnnie

Been real quiet.
I guess 'National Iced Tea Day' doesn't inspire a lot of enthusiasm.  :)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

MUC57

Quote from: 57Johnnie on June 10, 2019, 05:21:14 PM
Been real quiet.

We need 'National Beer Day'. Is there such a day now? I don't know, I live in Alliance.
Thank you for your support.  ;D

The other 57
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

57Johnnie

Quote from: MUC57 on June 10, 2019, 06:31:15 PM
Been real quiet.

We need 'National Beer Day'. Is there such a day now? I don't know, I live in Alliance.

The other 57
It was April 7 this year.
You missed it.  :)

MUC57

Quote from: 57Johnnie on June 10, 2019, 06:37:16 PM
Been real quiet.

The other 57
It was April 7 this year.
You missed it.  :)

Damn, I hate it when that happens! Thanks. 😥 🍺

57Johnnie

Been real quiet.

The other 57
June 14 is National Bourbon Day if that helps :)

MUC57

Quote from: 57Johnnie on June 10, 2019, 07:31:34 PM
Been real quiet.

The other 57
June 14 is National Bourbon Day if that helps :)

Don't mean to beat this to death but, is there a "Frozen Margarita Day"? How about a "Single Malt Scotch Whisky Day"? Please excuse me, I lead a sheltered life. (Have you ever been to Alliance?).
🍺 🍷 🍸 🍹 🍾  😎