Atlantic Central Football Conference/Independents

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njlincolnlion

A little more than 24 hours before kick-off at Sea Gull Stadium.  Here's hoping to a successful injury free season for Salisbury.

Go Gulls........Fear the Bird, Don't Flip the Bird!
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, '30

17 NCAA DIII Championships

njlincolnlion

PA Wesley Fan:

Welcome to the board,  I agree with acfcposter, where are the Buff State and Frost U posters?  I'm also surprised that there has not been many USAC (especially CNU) posters on this board yet.  I guess the CNU posters will show up as the game between Salisbury/CNU gets closer.

Though schedule for the Gulls with Methodist, B-Port, CNU and Montclair State.
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      

njlincolnlion

Bport070782:

Do you know what Brockport's future plan are with the ACFC?  I believe I read somewhere that Buff State will be joining the NJAC.  If Brockport and Buff State leave, it will leave the conference with just four teams again.

Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      

njlincolnlion

Pat:

Since the ACFC site is with Independents, how many Independent D3 schools are out there? 
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      

njlincolnlion

Salisbury University Sea Gulls Football games are broadcast on wico-am.  The website is  www.wicoam.com

Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      

njlincolnlion

Gordon Mann:

Welcome to the Garden State (even though Pennsylvanians are our neighbors) to you and Pat (travelling up 95 and the NJ Turnpike).

Gordon, thanls for your support of Lincoln last year, and I'm looking forward to hoops.

Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      

njlincolnlion

Prediction

Salisbury Sea Gulls 38  Methodist Monarchs 24
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      

pg04

Quote from: njlincolnlion on September 02, 2005, 09:25:36 AM
Bport070782:

Do you know what Brockport's future plan are with the ACFC?  I believe I read somewhere that Buff State will be joining the NJAC.  If Brockport and Buff State leave, it will leave the conference with just four teams again.

I don't know what there plan is, but Buffalo State IS joining the NJAC next year for certain.  Like Buffalo State, a conference like the NJAC would be a better situation for Brockport, but I am not sure if they want to try their luck at that, or stay as a Pool B competitor playing in a non-qualifier Conference.

Pat Coleman

There are more than a dozen schools in D-III whom we classify as independents. In the South Region, however, now that Maryville is in the USAC, there's just Huntingdon. Next year LaGrange will add football and it is independent as well.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

pg04

Remember Fellow ACFC'ers, if you want to check up on how the Golden Eagles are doing, you can listen live here:

GOLDEN EAGLES FOOTBALL

and on the right side of the screen below the Subway add it should say listen live, click on the link and you should be on your way!

Ralph Turner

NJLincolnLion, good morning!

There are several dimensions to your question about independents.

The Independents are listed by clicking on the web site for a school like Huntingdon.  Pat has listed the Independents like a national "conference" on the right side bar on the page such as Huntingdon's.

The ACFC is not an officially recognized "Single Sport" Conference.  Those are the IBC and the NEFC.

As for independents that are available to join the ACFC, the practical aspects of that decision lead me to believe that most athletic directors would look elsewhere.

As Pat said, Huntingdon (Montgomery AL) and LaGrange (GA) starting in '06 are members of the GSAC which does not sponsor football and are too far South.  Fellow GSAC member Maryville TN has joined the USASouth as an affiliate this year.

Becker, Mount Ida, Husson...all too far north and would more likely join with Maine Maritime as North Atlantic Conference members to sponsor their own football conference.  SUNY-Maritime (Skyline Conference) adds in '06 and SUNY Morrisville becomes a provisional next year.  They are more likely to join an existing conference.  I believe that SUNY-Morrisville has expressed interest in the NJAC.

There are changes in the midwest with the merger of the Lake Michigan and Northern Illinois-Iowa Conferences that will affect the Illinois-Badger Conference.

I can see Brockport St joining the NJAC or a newly configured SUNYAC with Cortland State, Buffalo ST, Cortland State and SUNY-Morrisville when SUNY-Morrisville is a full member around 2010.  Wesley makes great sense, geographically, for the NJAC.

My best guesses for Salisbury are these two options:   to find another home or to remain with a withered ACFC  in Pool B (see the FAQ's for more information) to try to qualify for the playoffs.  When the 2005 Handbook is released, we will know how many playoff slots will go for the Pool B schools:  the ACFC-5, the UAA-4, both the Pres AC-7 and the  NWC-7 until fall 2007, and the 12 independents that Pat has identified.

Even the number of Pool B's are dwindling.  In 2006, Buff St is leaving for the NJAC.  Menlo is affiliating with the NWC thus the NWC moves to Pool A in 2007.  Plymouth St is joining the NEFC. Thomas More's addition to the Pres AC will move the Pres AC to Pool A in 2007 also.  Those 16 schools will carry their numbers out of Pool B and into Pool A. UMAC schools are in discussion for achieving a Pool A bid, maybe eventually by 2011.

Pool B bids are given out at a ratio of 1 bid for every 6.5 eligible schools up to a football maximum of 32 bids.  Salisbury and Brockport may be competing for a one of those Pool B bids.  That is a risky strategy, because they may not be able to fill their schedule if all nearby teams have conference obligations for their scheduling dates.

Good luck and have a fun Saturday!

PA_wesleyfan

Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

John McGraw

Cortland 17 Brockport 3, 6:50 left in 3rd, Cortland has the ball

Golden Eagles are being absolutely monkey stomped.

pg04