FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BantamMom

Quote from: Nescacman on November 07, 2018, 11:59:37 AM
Quote from: BantamMom on November 07, 2018, 09:24:59 AM
;D" ...for this pseudo NESCAC team...Hartford State...

Can I say how much I LOVE seeing this?  It gives some insight to just how much Trinity's winning ways get's under Nescacman's skin!  Keep it up, I'm eating it up with a spoon!  #JealousyLooksSoAmusingOnYou

Looked who crawled out from under a rock.... ;D

Isn't it visitation day at Hartford State???

I have been here all along, reading every day during the season.  Just HAD to log in because I loved the "pseudo NESCAC team" comment so much.  Usually I read and smile, that one actually made me laugh out loud!  On a board where your -1 karma points are worn like badges, I would have given you a +1 if I could have.  Thank you to the three people that hit me up with -1's tho :-) 

NED3Guy

I'm sure this has been brought up on here a lot, and didn't have the time to scan back through the pages and see if it was discussed recently, but FOURTEEN NESCAC teams will be playing in NCAA tournaments this fall...yes FOURTEEN teams in just four NCAA Tourneys.

With six men's soccer teams making it and four women's soccer teams there is a very high likelihood that at least one NESCAC team in each tournament is playing past Thanksgiving.

Tradition aside, why is the antiquated rule still in place that doesn't allow the NESCAC Football Champ to play in the NCAA's?

JEFFFAN

Can I say how much I LOVE seeing this?  It gives some insight to just how much Trinity's winning ways get's under Nescacman's skin!  Keep it up, I'm eating it up with a spoon!  #JealousyLooksSoAmusingOnYou

Yeah, but I think it should be pretty clear that NESCACMAN's digs don't have much to do with winning ...

Nescacman

Quote from: JEFFFAN on November 07, 2018, 07:41:17 PM

Yeah, but I think it should be pretty clear that NESCACMAN's digs don't have much to do with winning ...

MAMMFAN, how right you are old friend....

Hartford State, the anti-NESCAC:

https://commons.trincoll.edu/tripod/2018/09/11/president-cites-lay-offs-as-reason-for-drop-to-46/

Trin9-0

Nescacman, I have some good news for you! As we all know, for the past few years you've been mistakenly sharing your obsession with Trinity's academic standing on this football message board. In order to help remedy this confusion I found a place for you to discuss college admissions and rankings:
www.NESCACadmissions.com/discussion

I'm sure you'll find your opinions to be much more relevant there.

For what it's worth Trinity's U.S. News rank was #22 during my senior season (2003). That year the Bants won the second of Trinity's four consecutive NESCAC championships. It was also the first of three straight undefeated seasons; arguably the most dominant stretch of football the league has seen.
At the same time Bates was ranked #23 and Hamilton #21. Neither program won more than two games from '03-'05. My point is that college rankings don't directly correlate to success, or a lack thereof, in football.

Wesleyan is currently tied with three other schools in the U.S. News ranking at #18. Wes was ranked #11 in 2003. They were an average football team then (4-4), and they are an average football team now (5-3).

Now about that point spread for Saturday's game in Middletown... I think Trin -16.5 is fair but am willing to hear your thoughts. Shall we meet for a pregame beer (or two) or perhaps a post game victory cigar to celebrate either a truly stunning Wesleyan upset or Trinity's NESCAC three-peat?
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

JEFFFAN

Quote from: Trin8-0 on November 08, 2018, 11:36:32 AM
Nescacman, I have some good news for you! As we all know, for the past few years you've been mistakenly sharing your obsession with Trinity's academic standing on this football message board. In order to help remedy this confusion I found a place for you to discuss college admissions and rankings:
www.NESCACadmissions.com/discussion

I'm sure you'll find your opinions to be much more relevant there.

For what it's worth Trinity's U.S. News rank was #22 during my senior season (2003). That year the Bants won the second of Trinity's four consecutive NESCAC championships. It was also the first of three straight undefeated seasons; arguably the most dominant stretch of football the league has seen.
At the same time Bates was ranked #23 and Hamilton #21. Neither program won more than two games from '03-'05. My point is that college rankings don't directly correlate to success, or a lack thereof, in football.

Wesleyan is currently tied with three other schools in the U.S. News ranking at #18. Wes was ranked #11 in 2003. They were an average football team then (4-4), and they are an average football team now (5-3).

Now about that point spread for Saturday's game in Middletown... I think Trin -16.5 is fair but am willing to hear your thoughts. Shall we meet for a pregame beer (or two) or perhaps a post game victory cigar to celebrate either a truly stunning Wesleyan upset or Trinity's NESCAC three-peat?

For what it is worth, it is an entirely relevant topic as Trinity's academic standing has declined over the past 20-25 years.   Moving from 20th to 46th is a significant decline, one that opens the academic doors to a far broader set of student-athletes.  It is not a minor blip - it is a wholesale decline.   As the higher ranked NESCAC schools - Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, Bowdoin - retain their academic status and status quo pools, the reality that the pools for lower ranked schools increases is a huge deal.  With the higher ranked schools having considerably higher standards to begin with, a widening gap is unsustainable to the league.   Harsh reality but reality.

Trin9-0

Quote from: JEFFFAN on November 08, 2018, 04:33:36 PM
For what it is worth, it is an entirely relevant topic as Trinity's academic standing has declined over the past 20-25 years.   Moving from 20th to 46th is a significant decline, one that opens the academic doors to a far broader set of student-athletes.  It is not a minor blip - it is a wholesale decline.   As the higher ranked NESCAC schools - Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, Bowdoin = retain their academic status and status quo pools, the reality that the pools for lower ranked schools increases is a huge deal.  With the higher ranked schools having higher standards to begin with, a widening gap is unsustainable to the league.   Harsh reality but reality.

This is exactly why I cited that Trinity had their most dominant teams when they were ranked along side Bates and Hamilton in U.S. News. There is no correlation.

Did you know that the academic profile of students admitted to Trinity has actually improved despite the decline in the U.S. News rankings? And as someone who has worked at three NESCAC schools and studied the U.S. News (and other similar) rankings methodology closely I can say that the size of a schools endowment (per student) and their alumni donor participation play a larger role in the rise and fall of a school's ranking than the admissions results and test scores.

Many excellent small liberal arts schools, outside of the NESCAC (Kenyon, Macalester, Colorado College) have had made significant gains in their rankings. The fact that they're now ranked higher than Trinity doesn't mean Trinity is any less of a school. In fact Trinity is more selective now than when they were ranked in the 20s.

We have a team playing Saturday for a NESCAC three-peat, the Biggest Little Game in America, Bowdoin (BOWDOIN!?) playing for a shot at the CBB title, yet we're talking about the U.S. News rankings because of Nescacman's inferiority complex about Wesleyan's inability to win more than one game against Trinity since the end of the Clinton Administration.

Is anyone interested in talking about football? I promise, there will be plenty of time in the off season for in-depth discussions on standardized test scores, the percent of classes with under 20 students and relative increases in faculty salaries.  ::)
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

Nescacman

Quote from: Trin8-0 on November 08, 2018, 05:14:59 PM
Quote from: JEFFFAN on November 08, 2018, 04:33:36 PM
For what it is worth, it is an entirely relevant topic as Trinity's academic standing has declined over the past 20-25 years.   Moving from 20th to 46th is a significant decline, one that opens the academic doors to a far broader set of student-athletes.  It is not a minor blip - it is a wholesale decline.   As the higher ranked NESCAC schools - Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, Bowdoin = retain their academic status and status quo pools, the reality that the pools for lower ranked schools increases is a huge deal.  With the higher ranked schools having higher standards to begin with, a widening gap is unsustainable to the league.   Harsh reality but reality.

This is exactly why I cited that Trinity had their most dominant teams when they were ranked along side Bates and Hamilton in U.S. News. There is no correlation.

Did you know that the academic profile of students admitted to Trinity has actually improved despite the decline in the U.S. News rankings? And as someone who has worked at three NESCAC schools and studied the U.S. News (and other similar) rankings methodology closely I can say that the size of a schools endowment (per student) and their alumni donor participation play a larger role in the rise and fall of a school's ranking than the admissions results and test scores.

Many excellent small liberal arts schools, outside of the NESCAC (Kenyon, Macalester, Colorado College) have had made significant gains in their rankings. The fact that they're now ranked higher than Trinity doesn't mean Trinity is any less of a school. In fact Trinity is more selective now than when they were ranked in the 20s.

We have a team playing Saturday for a NESCAC three-peat, the Biggest Little Game in America, Bowdoin (BOWDOIN!?) playing for a shot at the CBB title, yet we're talking about the U.S. News rankings because of Nescacman's inferiority complex about Wesleyan's inability to win more than one game against Trinity since the end of the Clinton Administration.

Is anyone interested in talking about football? I promise, there will be plenty of time in the off season for in-depth discussions on standardized test scores, the percent of classes with under 20 students and relative increases in faculty salaries.  ::)

Our point is all about football...let's call it like it is...the bottomline is Hartford State is letting HCOF Jeff get better football players than anyone else in the NESCAC...it has nothing to do with his amazing recruiting prowess...he is going after kids that have exactly 0% chance of getting into any other NESCAC school...HCOF Jeff is fishing in a bigger pond than the other NESCAC schools...a pond with many more quality athletes who love the opportunity to beat up on smaller, smarter kids rather than compete against players their own size in the Patriot or Ivy League...better players/athletes=better teams/total advantage over every other school in the league because they are playing by a completely different set of rules...maybe HS should be playing the Stone Hill's/Assumption's/Bentley's or even the Lehigh/Lafayette/Colgate/Bucknell's of the world....would probably be fairer competition...let's get rid of Hartford State (at least in football) and bring in say, MIT or the Coast Guard Academy....this has been going on for years and it's about time that we call an end to the total charade that is HS football in the NESCAC...   

frank uible

For God's sake, end the argument and play ball!

lumbercat

Trin9-0

Quote from: Nescacman on November 08, 2018, 06:01:45 PM
let's get rid of Hartford State (at least in football) and bring in say, MIT or the Coast Guard Academy....this has been going on for years and it's about time that we call an end to the total charade that is HS football in the NESCAC...   

HAHAHA!! "If you can't beat 'em, don't play 'em.", eh Nescacman?

Looking forward to seeing your picks later today. Will you, for the first time, pick Trinity to beat Wesleyan, or are you going to go with your heart again?

nescac1

Williams is certainly a big underdog on the road to a far more veteran, and seemingly far healthier, Amherst team.  Williams is being coy about whether Maimaron or Bischoping starts, but I'm guessing that even if he could go Maimaron's main asset - his running ability - would be too limited (barring a miraculous recovery from what sure seemed like a tough leg injury of some sort) to make him effective.  So my keys for Williams assumes Bischoping is the guy for all or most of the action.

(1) Protect the QB.  Amherst has a killer pass rush, but Bischoping is not a guy who is gonna make plays with his feet, so he needs time to get the ball down the field, which is his big skill set.  The Ephs need to have a sixth blocker in the backfield on a lot of passing plays to help keep Bischoping on his feet. 

(2) Bischoping has to make good decisions.  His daring and confidence will need to come into play too, the Ephs will need some big plays through the air to stay close in this one, but he just can't fling it down the field and assume guys are gonna beat Amherst's very fast secondary to jump balls.  And he has to throw the ball out of bounds rather than taking sacks for big yardage.  Williams can surive one interception, at most two, but any more than that and this one will be tough to win. 

(3) A tailback, whether Begel or if he can finally return Dozier, needs to have a big day without a running QB back there.  At least 80 yards, ideally more, for whomever is the starter.

(4) Someone besides Frank Stola needs to make a few big plays in the passing game.  Typically, a frosh emerges in the Williams-Amherst game.  Dan Vaughn is the guy who to me has the biggest chance of breaking a big one, DeGasperitis and Bischoping also seem to have areally nice chemistry.  But someone from the Ephs' injury-decimated WR core has to step up in a big way since without Maimaron sustaining long drives on the ground will prove difficult. 

(5) On defense, Amherst is going to move the ball, so Williams will need to get some key 3rd and 4th and short stops and force a few turnovers - the bend but don't break approach that has worked, at times, throughout the year.  The Williams defense does seem to be rounding into its best health in awhile.  The Ephs need to keep Eberth in the pocket and make him beat them down the field rather than getting big yardage on the ground.  I think for Williams to win, they likely need to keep Amherst below 21 points. 

(6) TJ Rothmann needs to have a massive game, similar to his game against Trinity.  And the other three LBs all need to make plays as well, that is the heart of the Eph D .  If Apuzzi and Wesner can force at least one turnover and make a few big stops in the backfield, that would be big.  The frosh to watch on the defensive side of the ball for the Ephs is Coleston Smith. 

lumbercat

On another note I see that Tufts recently honored 24 seniors on their senior day last week.
Head Coach Civetti deserves a lot of credit, this speaks volumes for his program.
To keep all those guys in the program for 4 years is commendable.
Through cuts and attrition along with many others who quit NESCAC programs due lack of playing time it's not the norm to see this many seniors.

He's built a strong program with an immense amount of support from the school. He has obviously developed a strong team oriented culture and provided a positive experience for his players. He's done it right.

lumbercat

I know it's a battle of 2 struggling teams but I think it will a damn good football game at Colby tomorrow for the CBB crown.  Bates relinquished their 7 year lock on the state series this year so I would think both teams will be chomping at the bit. It'll be a good one.

Oddly, the Mules website doesn't even have a game preview posted for the game at Colby tomorrow.
If you click on "game preview" on the Colby website you get the Bowdoin preview from the Bowdoin website.
I didn't think there was that kind of football apathy in Waterville.

GoBlue61

Looking forward to the Bowdoin/Colby game. It should be a good one. Looks like LB for Bowdoin (Gowetski) has to sit out the first half due to a targeting penalty last week, which could hurt since I am sure Colby will try to pound the ball.  Glad the game means something, in any event.