FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

umhb2001

Quote from: CowboyAlum261 on June 30, 2018, 12:55:06 PM
Has anybody seen the summer edition of Dave Campbell's magazine in stores? I heard they have shipped out to subscribers but I haven't been able to find it in stores here in DFW yet.

I looked at H-E-B tonight and didn't find one.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

MUC57

umhb2001

We will watch out for the wreckingCRU defense AND the offense, as well! You're getting a pretty good QB that studied in a pretty good system. Best to ya on the season. That is, until you play Mount in the Stagg Bowl. I gave Luke the same sentiments. Have a great Fourth! ☠🏈🇺🇸🍺

And a Happy Fourth to everyone associated with The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. Great school and not a bad football team! Go Cru! ☠🏈🇺🇸🍺
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Kelly Boggs

Just picked up a copy of Texas Football at HEB.
UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

umhb2001

Thanks, MUC57. I hope we see each other again!

Just found this article, https://ktxs.com/sports/college-sports/hardin-simmons-to-work-on-filling-big-shoes-in-spring Landry Turner out at HSU.

umhb2001

Quote from: CowboyAlum261 on June 30, 2018, 12:55:06 PM
Has anybody seen the summer edition of Dave Campbell's magazine in stores? I heard they have shipped out to subscribers but I haven't been able to find it in stores here in DFW yet.

What is up with the QB situation for you guys?

CowboyAlum261

I know Landry Turner is gone, based on last year I'd say Marc Reed is in the driver seat for this fall, but we'll see if Killam can push for the job. Reed has got to be close to the fastest player on our roster, so it would be a real dynamic shift for our offense if we can make good use of his running ability.

I ended up breaking down and subscribing to get my Dave Campbell, worth every penny though! Al Pickett does a great job of breaking the conference down.

umhb2001

Quote from: CowboyAlum261 on July 08, 2018, 05:52:01 PM
I know Landry Turner is gone, based on last year I'd say Marc Reed is in the driver seat for this fall, but we'll see if Killam can push for the job. Reed has got to be close to the fastest player on our roster, so it would be a real dynamic shift for our offense if we can make good use of his running ability.

I ended up breaking down and subscribing to get my Dave Campbell, worth every penny though! Al Pickett does a great job of breaking the conference down.

He did do a good job, but he completely missed the biggest story of the offseason, Luke Poorman transfers from Mount Union to UMHB. Weird.

MUC57

umhb2001

We were all surprised at Luke transferring,  especially to UMHB. We all understand why he wanted to leave. He just plain wants to play.. And he's pretty good. But DiAngelo Fulford has the number 1 QB spot locked up. Luke didn't want to sit and watch for 2 years. We all wish him well, at least, until he plays Mount Union.
Good luck to The Cru. Don't really think you need any luck. You're one of Dlll's elite teams. ☠🏈

umhb2001

Quote from: MUC57 on July 09, 2018, 05:31:12 PM

umhb2001

We were all surprised at Luke transferring,  especially to UMHB. We all understand why he wanted to leave. He just plain wants to play.. And he's pretty good. But DiAngelo Fulford has the number 1 QB spot locked up. Luke didn't want to sit and watch for 2 years. We all wish him well, at least, until he plays Mount Union.
Good luck to The Cru. Don't really think you need any luck. You're one of Dlll's elite teams. ☠🏈

Totally understandable. From the outside, it also seems that perhaps UMU is placing talent above ethics. I mean, to have a guy in the midst of legal issues starting over a really good player with sound moral character was probably also frustrating. That continues to be an issue for me.

From my experience following UMHB for the past 20 years, I can tell you that wouldn't happen. We had a DIII defensive lineman All American not play against UWW because of a rumored failed drug test. Three guys didn't make the trip to the Stagg last year because of issues. None of those contained the legal troubles perceived from the outside looking in in regards to UMU.

It just seems strange to me.

MUC57

umhb2001

I'm inclined to agree with you on some of your points. Many of us wanted UMU to take a stronger position on the matter. Sit him out? Don't know if that's an answer. Make a stronger official statement, or any kind of a statement. Would that have helped? Who knows!
On the other hand, no one seems to really know much about the facts of this case. Could be much ado about nothing. Or is that just wishful thinking on our part?
I do applaud UMHB on their handling of the players you mentioned. Seems like the right way to go.
Damn I hope all this ends pretty soon. It's become a distraction.
I know UMHB is your team. But don't give up on UMU or write us off as the bad guys of Dlll.
I love my alma mater! Sometimes that love is tested! Go Raiders. ☠🏈

umhb2001

Quote from: MUC57 on July 10, 2018, 06:12:14 AM

umhb2001

I'm inclined to agree with you on some of your points. Many of us wanted UMU to take a stronger position on the matter. Sit him out? Don't know if that's an answer. Make a stronger official statement, or any kind of a statement. Would that have helped? Who knows!
On the other hand, no one seems to really know much about the facts of this case. Could be much ado about nothing. Or is that just wishful thinking on our part?
I do applaud UMHB on their handling of the players you mentioned. Seems like the right way to go.
Damn I hope all this ends pretty soon. It's become a distraction.
I know UMHB is your team. But don't give up on UMU or write us off as the bad guys of Dlll.
I love my alma mater! Sometimes that love is tested! Go Raiders. ☠🏈

Definitely not!  UMU has much respect from all UMHB fans as far as I can tell. They are the cream of the crop in D3. Obviously, I would have like to have seen what LK did with this situation, and the points you raised about a more serious position would have helped. For all involved, I hope it all works out.

Does Ohio have a state magazine that covers all of your HS and College football previews like Texas does? We have Dave Campbells Football magazine. It covers news from top to bottom of amateur football. I'd be interested in seeing another state's version.

MUC57

umhb2001

Don't know of any such magazine as you described. You have us beat on that one. Sounds really good!
Go Cru! See you in Texas in December. ☠🏈

CowboyAlum261

Quote from: umhb2001 on July 09, 2018, 05:06:57 PM
Quote from: CowboyAlum261 on July 08, 2018, 05:52:01 PM

He did do a good job, but he completely missed the biggest story of the offseason, Luke Poorman transfers from Mount Union to UMHB. Weird.

Agree that it was odd we didn't hear anything about Poorman in the ASC section. Then again, maybe he just assumed UMHB will be a national title contender no matter who is back there, and after last year, I might agree!

MUC57

CowboyAlum261

It is strange there was no mention of Luke going to UMHB. That's kind of a major story. But, no doubt, The Cru will be in the hunt for a national championship in 2018. Look where they went last year, only one game short. Not only did they have a good team, they have a great program. I'll go out on a limb and say they'll be around for awhile. Safe to say?
And by your sign-on, you must be a fan of Hardin Simmons. They seem to be pretty good year after year. Maybe you'll give MHB a battle. Best of luck!
I will close by saying - Go Cru! Go Cowboys! Go Raiders! Here it comes, Oh hell, Go Everybody! ☠🏈

MUC57

CowboyAlum261

Forgot to say welcome to the boards, since I see you are fairly new. Being  a Mount Union alumnus, I usually post on the OAC board over in the North region but, as you may have noticed, I can pop up anywhere. The skull and cross bones I often put at the end of my posts is like the stickers on the players helmets (Raiders?). And since we may end up chatting again, I will let you know what almost everyone, including Mr. Coleman, already knows. Since I'm a 1957 graduate from UMU (it was MUC back then), I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Get 'em Cowboys! 🏈😀🐎