BB: 2013 Regionals (Mideast)

Started by Ralph Turner, May 12, 2013, 11:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

The D3baseball.com mock bracket will be out by sunrise.

EttaFan1

The list of seeds and pairings:

1.  Manchester
2.  Marietta
3.  Wooster
4.  Washington & Jefferson
5.  Illinois Wesleyan (Central Region team)
6.  Thomas More
7.  PSU - Beherend
8.  Mount Union

Wednesday's Schedule (All times central)
Game 1: #4W&J vs. #5IWU 10:00 AM
Game 2: #1Manchester vs #8Mount Union  1:15 PM
Game 3: #3Wooster vs. #6Thomas More 4:30 PM
Game 4: #2Marietta vs. #7PSU - Beherend 7:45 PM

Thursday's Schedule
Game 5: L G1 vs. L G2 10:00 AM
Game 6: L G3 vs. L G4  1:15 PM
Game 7: W G1 vs. W G2 4:30 PM
Game 8: W G3 vs. W G4 7:45 PM

Official Regional website:  http://www.rose-hulman.edu/athletics/baseball/2013-ncaa-mideast-regional.aspx

Dr. Acula

A little surprised by TMC getting an at-large.  Overall, I think this is a very winnable region for several teams.  If I was an Etta fan I wouldn't hate this field at all.  And even as the 8 seed I don't think Mount is that big of an underdog against Manchester.  They're definitely not a dominant 1 seed like can be the case some years.  Maybe it's my blind OAC allegiance, but I'd like to think that going through 21 games against OAC competition they've seen teams of Manchester's quality this year.  Good luck to my Raiders and to the Pios!     

ScotsFan

Quote from: Dr. Acula on May 13, 2013, 10:36:45 AM
Maybe it's my blind OAC allegiance, but I'd like to think that going through 21 games against OAC competition they've seen teams of Manchester's quality this year.  Good luck to my Raiders and to the Pios!   

While I don't think the OAC was as good as it has been in years past, it was still the best conference in the Mideast if you ask me and I definitely think that will help Marietta and Mount going forward. 

I was hoping Wooster would get a bit more of a test in the NCAC tournament, but it didn't happen.  Wooster is coming into the NCAA's seemingly playing their best ball of the season as they're coming in riding a 9 game winning streak.  And if you count the NCAC crossover series as tournament games (which technically they were despite the NCAC telling us they weren't) Wooster has not only not lost in NCAC tournament play, they outscored their opponents by an average of 16-4 over 6 games!   :o

To temper my feelings regarding the Scots current hot streak, I know the competition will be ratcheted up a few notches in the Regional than what the Scots were facing in the NCAC tournament.  But still, this team is full of confidence right now heading into the NCAA tournament and that can't be a bad thing.

One note, Wooster will be looking to win their first NCAA Tournament game in FOUR years?!   :o  Their last NCAA Tournament win came against Chapman at the CWS that put the Scots in the championship game.  I'm pretty confident we'll see that streak come to an end...

ScotsFan

Quote from: Dr. Acula on May 13, 2013, 10:36:45 AM
Overall, I think this is a very winnable region for several teams.

Agreed.  While looking at it, it doesn't seem as loaded as Mideast Regionals of the past have been, it is still a very solid field with 3 teams ranked in the top 25 (Marietta, Manchester and IWU) and Wooster could/should be in this week's poll if you ask me.

Also, the D3 Champs for the last 3 seasons are in this regional as Marietta has won the last 2 and IWU was the last team to win prior to Marietta's repeat.  Wooster has some history at the CWS as well finishing 2nd twice including losing a heartbreaker to STU 4 years ago.

Oh, and the 8 seed just won the OAC Tournament which is no easy thing to do!   :o

Should be a fun and exciting tournament! 

hasbeen123

Do you fellas happen to remember that little ol' team from the cornfields of Indiana that made it to the regional finals last year to only be upended by the eventual national champions?  They didn't have a senior on that team that made any significant contributions. 

Flash forward a year...  those boys have another year of experience under their belts and won 35 games.  Granted, the B.S. strength of schedule rankings has them far down the list.    However you can only play the teams on your schedule.  You can't control how poorly the other teams around you recruit. 

The OAC is getting a lot of pub, and rightfully so based on Marietta's ridiculous history.  All I'm saying is, don't undersell that #1 from Indiana...  they earned it and have a great opportunity to make it out of the Mid-East if the breaks fall their way. 

Merchant, Murphy, Kimm, and Niemann should all be considered when the All-American voting takes place.

Prediction:   Manchester over Wooster

jos s

Wooster wins this region easily.

ScotsFan

Quote from: jos s on May 14, 2013, 08:55:16 AM
Wooster wins this region easily.

Ummm, don't know what you're basing this opinion on?  Wooster is playing arguably their best baseball of the year at the right time, but they did lose both times they've played Marietta this season fwiw.

I do think Wooster has as good a shot as anyone in this field, but to say they will win this regional easily is a bit of wishful thinking if you ask me...

ScotsFan

Quote from: hasbeen123 on May 14, 2013, 07:43:40 AM
Do you fellas happen to remember that little ol' team from the cornfields of Indiana that made it to the regional finals last year to only be upended by the eventual national champions?  They didn't have a senior on that team that made any significant contributions. 

Flash forward a year...  those boys have another year of experience under their belts and won 35 games.  Granted, the B.S. strength of schedule rankings has them far down the list.    However you can only play the teams on your schedule.  You can't control how poorly the other teams around you recruit. 

The OAC is getting a lot of pub, and rightfully so based on Marietta's ridiculous history.  All I'm saying is, don't undersell that #1 from Indiana...  they earned it and have a great opportunity to make it out of the Mid-East if the breaks fall their way. 

Merchant, Murphy, Kimm, and Niemann should all be considered when the All-American voting takes place.

SOS is not BS.  Teams that do well in the post season, for the most part do so because they've been tested by quality opponents they've scheduled in the regular season.  If your conference sucks, than you should load up on quality non-conference opponents.  Take Wooster for example.  The NCAC was very down this year as evidenced by Wooster's pummeling of the competition in the NCAC tournament.  But Wooster has gotten their challenges in the non-conference portion of their schedule with  a large portion of their OOC schedule coming against teams that have qualified for the NCAA Tournament.  They've played Marietta twice, Hopkins twice, Case twice, and Wheaton (MA).  And Wooster is only 2-5 vs. those opponents which is why I'm tempering my optimism wrt how the Scots will fare in this regional and not going basing my optimism solely on how dominating Wooster has been during their current unbeaten streak over lesser quality opponents.

I'm not saying that Manchester will struggle this week because of their weak schedule, and 35 wins is quite an accomplishment, but the fact remains that those 35 wins have come as a result of one of the weaker schedules of the teams that are still playing...

mideastfan2

no offense partner, but your boys are going to have their hands full in game one with Mount Union and the OAC pitcher of the year, Carlino.  good luck though, would hate to go home early as the #1 seed.

Note: Fixed formatting. Use the board's formatting buttons rather than pure HTML please!

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: ScotsFan on May 14, 2013, 10:09:41 AM

SOS is not BS.  Teams that do well in the post season, for the most part do so because they've been tested by quality opponents they've scheduled in the regular season.  If your conference sucks, than you should load up on quality non-conference opponents.  Take Wooster for example.  The NCAC was very down this year as evidenced by Wooster's pummeling of the competition in the NCAC tournament.  But Wooster has gotten their challenges in the non-conference portion of their schedule with  a large portion of their OOC schedule coming against teams that have qualified for the NCAA Tournament.  They've played Marietta twice, Hopkins twice, Case twice, and Wheaton (MA).  And Wooster is only 2-5 vs. those opponents which is why I'm tempering my optimism wrt how the Scots will fare in this regional and not going basing my optimism solely on how dominating Wooster has been during their current unbeaten streak over lesser quality opponents.

I'm not saying that Manchester will struggle this week because of their weak schedule, and 35 wins is quite an accomplishment, but the fact remains that those 35 wins have come as a result of one of the weaker schedules of the teams that are still playing...
Great points scottsfan. You guys scheduled well for your OOC games and deserve being in the regionals. I will be rooting for them.

EttaFan1

SOS is not BS.  Teams that do well in the post season, for the most part do so because they've been tested by quality opponents they've scheduled in the regular season.  If your conference sucks, than you should load up on quality non-conference opponents. 

This times a billion. 

It is not to say Manchester won't have success.  If they play like they did in the regional a year ago, they have a good chance to win it this year.  I also think they have one of the toughest first round matchups.  Carlino is an outstanding pitcher and gives them a chance in any game. 

Dr. Acula

Quote from: EttaFan1 on May 14, 2013, 11:49:56 AM

SOS is not BS.  Teams that do well in the post season, for the most part do so because they've been tested by quality opponents they've scheduled in the regular season.  If your conference sucks, than you should load up on quality non-conference opponents. 

This times a billion. 

It is not to say Manchester won't have success.  If they play like they did in the regional a year ago, they have a good chance to win it this year.  I also think they have one of the toughest first round matchups.  Carlino is an outstanding pitcher and gives them a chance in any game.

It seems like it's even tougher to get a handle on Manchester because they haven't played anyone outside of the HCAC in almost 2 months.  It's hard to gauge where you are when you're stuck playing 25 games straight against average to bad teams.  That's not Manchester's fault that the conference wasn't good this year, but obviously you're not going to have a good SOS when your stiffest competition is .500 teams for 2/3 of your schedule.  On paper their pre-conference schedule looks like they were trying to play tough teams (DePauw x2, Heidelberg x3, Wabash).  No cupcakes there so I give them credit for trying to play teams that are usually good (or at least decent).  It just so happened that those teams were all down by their standards.

hasbeen123

SOS didn't matter last year when Manchester came in as a #6 see(if I recall correctly).  SOS didn't matter in 2002 when Manchester beat #1 nationally ranked Wooster en route to Wooster's 0-2 exit from the regional.   

My argument remains, SOS is BS b/c geographically DIII teams can only realistically play teams within a reasonable geographic radius.  Ohio obviously has better DIII teams than Indiana( I cannot argue to the contrary).  Just don't discount the fact that Manchester beat all of the teams they were supposed to beat and Marietta did lose 12 times...  versus good teams or not, still lost. 

If Manchester gets past this awesome pitcher from Mount Union, they have a offense and pitching to get to this done.  Don't understate the fact that Manchester is playing at a host field of a conference foe.  Familiarity with the confines of Rose Hulman's field and a sense of playing "at home" could also be an advantage against the other schools that travel so far to play. 

Regardless of my bias, this regional should shape up to be very entertaining.

Best of luck to all.

Dr. Acula

Their conference schedule screws them more than geography, IMO. That's a ton of conference games. It eats up your schedule.  They played Heidelberg. They should be playing TMC too.  Teams like Etta also load up on top 25 caliber teams down south.  I wish Mount would do that more.  Maybe Manchester could too?  In the end it doesn't matter as long as they win the HCAC.

Manchester's offense will be a great test for Zach Carlino.  He may pitch well, he may not. But he won't be intimidated.  The kid beat the national champs on their field as a soph then beat them again this year.  He's a gamer.