World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Bourghetti was on the official substitute list.  I was just impressed with how well Mexico was playing.  They had a spring in their step and some competitive fire that last week's squad was sorely lacking.

Brazil just looked like they didn't care.  They had a few amazing runs and some beautiful counter attacks, but down two with twenty minutes to go, they didn't even look worried.  At the 60 minute mark I thought we were in for a fantastic finish, but it slumped.  I do have to marvel at the abilities of some of these players though.  There was a right footed shot from the right side of the goal late in the game by Brazil that almost went in.  It was nearly parallel to the goal when it left they guy's foot.  I've never seen an American take a shot like that.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Browneagle64

Congrats to "El tri" for their surprise and Big win. Even though, Brazil had their B- team on the field last night, it was a big win for el tri because, as hoops mentioned, old bourghetti was sideline with an injury, salcido was too worn out after playing in europe and blanco is just getting old and fat. That sure was enough to be afraid at the start of the game. Overall, el tri had a better game and plan this time around ans definately made a lot of their fans happy.

I'm excited about team USA taking on a giant like Argentina tonight. It should be a fun and good game. Expect to see more vets and a small group of rookies playing the first half. Btw, look for Maxi Rodriguez on the Argentina team to be more explosive on offense during this tourney.
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Browneagle64

Wow, what a job Argentina did on team USA. I was disappointed about team USA's defense this time around and wished that it would have done better. However, i am sure they will rebound from this game, learn from it and move on to win more games. No need to get that anrgy or fustrated just yet. ;D
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

sac

Plus its half the team they had for the Gold Cup.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Browneagle64 on June 28, 2007, 11:39:09 PM
I was disappointed about team USA's defense this time around and wished that it would have done better.

Without Oguchi Onyewu and Carlos Bocanegra anchoring the US defense, I think this result was to be expected.  It just goes to show how much more fit those 2 are than the US reserves at this point as the US defenders looked very tired as the match wore on.

Quote from: sac on June 29, 2007, 01:26:39 AM
Plus its half the team they had for the Gold Cup.

It wasn't even half the team as the only starters from the GC final were Jonathan Bornstein and Benny Feilhaber.

As I said yesterday, I'm not expecting much from this youthful squad Bradley is fielding.  Things aren't looking any easier as the Americans now face Paraguay.  All they did was thrash Columbia 5 nil! :o 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I know I'm a few days late in this, but did you see those starting line-ups?  I'm not sure there's been a US international match in the past ten years where the opponent played 13 players, all of whom were better than anyone the US had on the field.  Argentina is stacked and they didn't come to mess around.  I believe this tournament might be a little anti-climactic.

WLCALUM83

Copa America final just in:

Brazil 3, Chile 0.

Mexico vs. Ecuador up shortly:

WLCALUM83

Another final:

Mexico 2, Ecuador 1.  :D

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The depleted US squad played well against Paraguay.  We still don't have any strikers that anyone needs to be afraid of, but we're coming along.  Getting all these guys so much experience in a big time tournament can only help the squad in the future.  2010 is looking brighter if we can only get a couple of guys who really know how to put the ball in the net (cough, cough...Beasley).

Browneagle64

I hope team USA bounces back from their depleted stage thus far in copa America because the group of death (i.e Argentina et al. is sure trying to make a mock of our team). Any ways, all this experience is sure going to help coach bradley and co. prepare the team for the upcoming 2010 world cup.

Stinger

While the JV squad is taking a beating in Venezuela, how about the Frosh up in Canada?  The U-20 team absolutely destroyed Poland last night, 6-1.  Freddy Adu had a hat trick.  This was a Poland team that beat the Brazilians 1-0 the other night.     

USA finishes up group play on Friday vs Brazil. ESPNU is televising the games.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

WLCALUM83

7/4 Copa America action:

Mexico and Chile play to a 0-0 tie:

Brazil wins the other match, 1-0.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Another 1-0 loss last night, but hey the US did really well in light of the fact they sent no one of consequence to this tournament.  Good experience for the players.

The U-20 squad gets Brazil today.  I'd love to be able to see that one.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Hoops Fan on July 06, 2007, 08:28:42 AM
I'd love to be able to see that one.

Looks like I might get a shot.  It's on the mothership tonight; I guess even the boys in Bristol know this one could be good.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Man.  That was a treat.  I can't remember the last time I watched a world class match where the US was clearly the better squad.  Our under-20 team is noticeably better than Brazil.  It was like watching the Senior team, but in reverse, where the favorite is playing so well that they lose focus a little bit and let the US come back, but this time we were the favorite.

Hopefully we can continue the development of these players, but the US is stacked.  The keeper was very solid, the defense was strong and confident, the midfielders commanded space and the strikers were bending balls and making runs like they know what they're doing!!

That Rogers kid was really impressive.  He bent a shot in around a wall early in the game that was more skillful than anything I've seen from the big boys.  Jozzy Altidore is a beast and Freddy Adu is only occasionally making ridiculous solo runs when there is a smart pass available.  He might actually beat that ego after all.

Lionel Messi's playing in the Copa, so we might even be the best team at this tournament.