MLS SuperDraft - Whitworth's Michael Ramos selected

Started by Flying Weasel, January 20, 2015, 09:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Weasel

Whitworth's Michael Ramos was selected by Toronto FC in the 3rd round of the MLS SuperDraft with the 50th overall pick.  The forward was named D3soccer.com 2nd Team All-American and NSCAA 1st Team All-American.  He spent just his senior year at Whitworth after playing semi-professionally in Sweden and Iceland following a year at Division I Seattle Univ.  He wasn't at the MLS Player Combine, but participated in a couple other invite-only combines hosted by professional teams, one which was co-hosted by the Seattle Sounders (MLS), Toronto FC (MLS), New York Cosmos (NASL), and Indy Eleven (NASL) in Las Vega in December.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/01/toronto-fc-concludes-2015-superdraft-three-picks

http://whitworthpirates.com/sports/msoc/2014-15/releases/20150120gh6e7h

MENESCACFAN

Very nice.  Heard a rumor former Bowdoin standout Ben Brewster has signed with a pro team in Sacramento.  Hopefully that is true, more D3 kids do well the better.

madzillagd

Quote from: MENESCACFAN on January 22, 2015, 07:01:26 PM
Very nice.  Heard a rumor former Bowdoin standout Ben Brewster has signed with a pro team in Sacramento.  Hopefully that is true, more D3 kids do well the better.

That will be fun to see.  I usually attend the Sac Republic games and it was a very good team in their inaugural season last year winning the USLPro championship.  They sell out at 8K people every game and this year the stadium is being expanded to 10K+ I believe.   Preki is no nonsense so he'll learn a lot.  I think they are the only team that has 2 MSL parent deals  (Portland & San Jose) so there are usually 4 or 5 MLS contracted guys playing on the squad at all times. 

MENESCACFAN

Madzilla, had no idea they were that good!  I just checked their website and h is not listed.  That said, they have only 10 rosters players right now!  I imagine that is due for an update.

madzillagd

They are just starting up for the year now. Have a friendly with the San Jose Earthquakes in the end of February so the team is just getting put together now. They are pushing to become a MLS team in the next couple of years so the owners are going all out now to show they are ready. Have plans for a new 20k seat stadium all ready to go next to the new Kings arena if they get the green light on expansion.

Alo35

Quote from: MENESCACFAN on January 22, 2015, 07:01:26 PM

Ben Brewster of Bowdoin signed with the Tulsa Roughnecks of the USL