Mid-Atlantic Region

Started by Mid-Atlantic Fan, August 29, 2017, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopkins92

I actually went up to Haverford to watch the JHU - F&M semifinal. It was... weird?

Hopkins had a bunch of possession, but really didn't do much with it. The F&M bench stood the entire game and was really into it. Hopkins had a very strange team demeanor. My wife and I were really perplexed by it. It was almost like they were pouting or something? And this was from before the game all the way through.

I could break the game down more, but don't really feel like it unless anyone cares. The wind was a HUGE factor... F&M had the wind in the first half and the capitalized, up 2-0 at the half. Wind doesn't really help Hopkins' possession game, and they were so flat, they didn't really start to wake up and press until there were about 15 minutes left.

I really wish I had an inside line to that locker room to figure what the heck was going on with that team on Saturday. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

FelixCloudy

Quote from: Hopkins92 on November 05, 2018, 11:26:55 AM
I actually went up to Haverford to watch the JHU - F&M semifinal. It was... weird?

Hopkins had a bunch of possession, but really didn't do much with it. The F&M bench stood the entire game and was really into it. Hopkins had a very strange team demeanor. My wife and I were really perplexed by it. It was almost like they were pouting or something? And this was from before the game all the way through.

I could break the game down more, but don't really feel like it unless anyone cares. The wind was a HUGE factor... F&M had the wind in the first half and the capitalized, up 2-0 at the half. Wind doesn't really help Hopkins' possession game, and they were so flat, they didn't really start to wake up and press until there were about 15 minutes left.

I really wish I had an inside line to that locker room to figure what the heck was going on with that team on Saturday. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

You are SO right...both with the wind and the flat Hopkins bench.  Apparently it isn't unusual for Hopkins to sit..but the quiet, low energy bench was... odd?  The wind was a factor a bit in the first morning semi final game as well, and the field was a bit soggy too.  But the wind really picked up in the afternoon and absolutely was a factor in the game - at least gave F&M a tip with one of the goals.

Hopkins92

Quote from: FelixCloudy on November 05, 2018, 12:27:24 PM
Quote from: Hopkins92 on November 05, 2018, 11:26:55 AM

You are SO right...both with the wind and the flat Hopkins bench.  Apparently it isn't unusual for Hopkins to sit..but the quiet, low energy bench was... odd?  The wind was a factor a bit in the first morning semi final game as well, and the field was a bit soggy too.  But the wind really picked up in the afternoon and absolutely was a factor in the game - at least gave F&M a tip with one of the goals.

I don't know if you remember, but Hop had a chance to score on a breakaway mid-first half... Goalie made a truly outstanding save on an attempted chip. I wonder if that would've changed the momentum. The Dips really got energized and scored their first not long after.

The big guy off the bench was, by far, the most entertaining aspect of the game. The way Hopkins plays out of the back, if you are pressing with a lone striker, it can be exhausting. That dude was listed at 6'3" and 240 and he looked every inch and pound of it. He was gassed after 5 minutes. Then, lo and behold, dude slams in the second goal, immediately gets subbed off, and their bench is going CRAZY.

I mean, clearly I was rooting for Hopkins, but I had a huge grin on my face when that all went down.

And, I have to say, save for a couple of comments here and there, the Dip bench was into the game, but they weren't being jerks about it. I'm sure it was annoying for the Hopkins players, but it sure made for a good atmosphere on a neutral field.

Oh, and this has driven my crazy for years under this coach, but you know... Sometimes when you're trying to build out of the back, things hit a snag and you just need to bang the ball out of bounds and press reset. Hopkins NEVER does this and it really almost bit them I'd say easily 5 times. Their backs have a lot of skill, but they just seem prone to coughing the ball up too often. It directly led to F&M's first goal.

FelixCloudy

Quote from: Hopkins92 on November 05, 2018, 01:07:39 PM

Oh, and this has driven my crazy for years under this coach, but you know... Sometimes when you're trying to build out of the back, things hit a snag and you just need to bang the ball out of bounds and press reset. Hopkins NEVER does this and it really almost bit them I'd say easily 5 times. Their backs have a lot of skill, but they just seem prone to coughing the ball up too often. It directly led to F&M's first goal.

I missed the first goal...but was walking around to the stands and right behind the Hop GK when the second happened - wind certainly a factor.  F&M's excitement was palpable.. and at a neutral field too.  Excited fans and happy team... fun to see.  I thought at that time the JHU coach would change strategy a bit - time was not on their side.  Didn't even seem to adjust at all and bring some numbers forward.  The BlueJay bench was so down after that second goal.. but I heard from others in the crowd they'd been that way from the start.  Looked at the bracket... they are in a tough pod with Messiah..but assuming both birds get through their first game.. should be some great soccer to watch.

Hopkins92

Yeah, that's my thing with this coach. They play a very patient style, and they have really top notch skill at all positions. Heck, they use the goalie as a quasi-sweeper and play through him quite regularly building out of the back.

But, yeah, at some point when you need to score, you have to adjust. I don't think he ever does. And I think they are wasting their best player pushing him so far out wide (#7, Adam Younker).

Oh, last thing... And I don't mean to be overly harsh, but JHU's lone striker had a VERY bad day. Touch was off, timing and direction of his runs were off. I get the impression that when he is clicking, they are a much more dangerous team.

Ejay

Sounds exactly like the local HS here.  They possess the hell out of the ball, but rarely generate any offense with one lone strikers and 6 MF's who aren't "allowed" to take on a defender.  If teams play them straight-up, they do well, but a defensive team gives them fits because the coach is happy for possession with no penetration.  Going down 0-1 in a tournament, and he still doesn't change tactics or formations. Soooo painful to watch.

FelixCloudy

Quote from: Hopkins92 on November 05, 2018, 02:10:49 PM
Oh, last thing... And I don't mean to be overly harsh, but JHU's lone striker had a VERY bad day. Touch was off, timing and direction of his runs were off. I get the impression that when he is clicking, they are a much more dangerous team.

Interesting.. I wonder if that is because they played on grass?  JHU lost to the Fords on Walton during the regular season, and possibly the field surface was a factor? JHU's short, quick possession & passing style is wonderful to watch and true to the beautiful game of fußball... but switching to grass if you don't get enough practice time on grass can really affect timing.  And couple that with a rigid game strategy is a double whammy.  But honestly, something else seemed to be up with the team... long drive from Baltimore maybe. 

daddyEzK

Franklin and Marshall hosting....are you kidding me?

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: daddyEzK on November 05, 2018, 06:58:56 PM

I'd offer to explain why but you refuse to listen to anybody on here...

F&M was the 2nd team in the region behind Messiah with .615 SOS and insane 8-3-1 RvR....why would they not host?

Shooter McGavin

Messiah hosting Baruch and a very difficult second match with either JHU or W&L.

F&M hosting Western Connecticut and a tough second match with either Eastern or Mary Wash.

Haverford will travel to Montclair and take on NYU in a tough opening draw. Winner most likely gets Montclair but Colby is clearly no pushover and will give Montclair all they can handle.

Etown also with a difficult draw but this is expected as they will face a hot Williams team at Cortland. Winner gets a tough task with Cortland in the 2nd round.

Keystone also with an expected difficult opener as they travel to Case for the first round.

PSU-Abington also gets rewarded with a difficult opener as they travel to John Carroll.

Lycoming will also join them at John Carroll as they face a pesky PSU-Behrend in the first round. 

Toughest to Easiest Draw
Keystone
PSU Abington
Eastern
Etown
Fords
Hopkins
Lyco
Messiah
F&M

daddyEzK

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on November 05, 2018, 07:09:47 PM

F&M was the 2nd team in the region behind Messiah with .615 SOS and insane 8-3-1 RvR....why would they not host?

I've actually not refused to listen to anyone.  Actually you are right, if listening and agreeing have the same definition.  F&M tied three non ranked teams: Mulenberg, Swarthmore and McDaniel; and lost to three teams that are not hosting:  Eastern, Hopkins and Haverford.  Quite a resume.

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: daddyEzK on November 05, 2018, 07:59:22 PM

I've actually not refused to listen to anyone.  Actually you are right, if listening and agreeing have the same definition.  F&M tied three non ranked teams: Mulenberg, Swarthmore and McDaniel; and lost to three teams that are not hosting:  Eastern, Hopkins and Haverford.  Quite a resume.

You don't have to agree you're just insane if you think Haverford has a better resume than F&M especially after they split with the H2H. You can't even argue that they are better because they beat F&M since they split results this year. You are a serious head scratcher my friend. I am all for people being a "homer" but at least be somewhat logical at some point.

DaddyBoy...please rank from best to worst from the 5 resumes below...best as #1 and worst as #5.

WLT/SOS/RvR

Team A: 13-3-3/0.615/8-3-1

Team B: 13-4-1/0.603 3-3-1

Team C: 15-2-3/0.579/3-2-3

Team D: 14-4-0/0.599/5-4-0

Team E: 14-3-1/0.613/6-3-0

Personally I'd go like this

1. Team A
2. Team E
3. Team D
4. Team C
5. Team B

daddyEzK

DaddyBoy...please rank from best to worst from the 5 resumes below...best as #1 and worst as #5.

WLT/SOS/RvR

1. Team A
2. Team E
3. Team D
4. Team C
5. Team B
[/quote]

This is a good exercise.  I would say;
1. Team E
2. Team D
3. Team A
4. Team B
5. Team C

Obviously, I put more value on the non-winning record than you do.
I would be interested in seeing what others would suggest, but I reserve the right to not agree.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on November 05, 2018, 08:15:11 PM
Quote from: daddyEzK on November 05, 2018, 07:59:22 PM

You don't have to agree you're just insane if you think Haverford has a better resume than F&M especially after they split with the H2H. You can't even argue that they are better because they beat F&M since they split results this year. You are a serious head scratcher my friend. I am all for people being a "homer" but at least be somewhat logical at some point.

WLT/SOS/RvR

1. Team A
2. Team E
3. Team D
4. Team C
5. Team B

IDK Shoots....That actually is a really difficult exercise but I am curious what point you were trying to make to "daddyboy"??

Now I will say he might be trying to be a tad difficult as I do not see how he puts anyone but Team E first...

Just curious which team your son plays for "daddyEzk"?  Sorry I am to lazy to go back and catch up on previous convo...

Shooter McGavin

Team A: 13-3-3/0.615/8-3-1 (F&M)

Team B: 13-4-1/0.603 3-3-1 (JHU)

Team C: 15-2-3/0.579/3-2-3 (Cortland)

Team D: 14-4-0/0.599/5-4-0 (Fords)

Team E: 14-3-1/0.613/6-3-0 (Case)