WBB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by charge, October 30, 2004, 11:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester1390

Hi Engine

i am aware of  many things none good.  I will send you privately emails i sent and responses i got. Would love to post on here but discretion  better serves my daughter. The school knew she was right. All the players who left said they would come back with a change and even when they cancelled the season the girls said they would still come back with a change so their former teammates wouldnt lose a season instead of cancelling it and the AD didnt even respond.

Enginerd

Quote from: Jester1390 on July 05, 2023, 12:47:44 AM
Hi Engine

i am aware of  many things none good.  I will send you privately emails i sent and responses i got. Would love to post on here but discretion  better serves my daughter. The school knew she was right. All the players who left said they would come back with a change and even when they cancelled the season the girls said they would still come back with a change so their former teammates wouldnt lose a season instead of cancelling it and the AD didnt even respond.

Well...that's because she needed cause to fire him. Having to cancel the season lent some weight to her decision to get rid of the coach. Why in God's name she didn't just ease him out with some dignity at the end of the 2021-22 campaign and get all those kids back when she had a chance, I guess we'll never know. Indiana is, after all, an at-will employment state and as I understand it, all RHIT coaches work on one-year contracts that are rolled-over every summer. At any rate, a dignified exit for one of the most successful and longest-tenured coaches in the department would also have probably served to help get a better pool of candidates last summer before word got out what a dysfunctional place RHIT has become. That is assuming, of course, that the AD desired a large pool of highly-qualified WBB candidates to choose from - which I'm not so sure about anymore.

The coaching search for the new women's basketball coach at RHIT was incompetently conceived, incompetently led, and, if some of the shenanigans I've heard are to be believed, sketchy.

Having said all that, I'd never in a million years wish for someone to fail. The new coach is, I'm sure, a gentleman, a good family man, and, hopefully a good coach as well. Regardless how the position came to him, he's gotten a shot, and I hope he makes the most of it and lifts up the program. Good luck, Coach Paul.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Coaches Poll is out. We've had a few announcements during the offseason with Defiance heading to NAIA and Berea joining the conference after this season.

1.   Transylvania (9)   81
2.   Hanover (1)          71
3.   Mount St. Joseph  65
4.   Bluffton                50
5.   Anderson              46
5.   Franklin                46
7.   Manchester           36
8.   Rose-Hulman        26
9.   Earlham                16
10.   Defiance              13
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Jester1390

Engine

so some information from what my daughter has heard.   The girls are having fun and enjoying basketball again.  The new coach has made a great first impression with the players.   Ashley Black came back and Manuella who had d-1 offers but quit right  away under former coach is also back and I heard that Reese could be a legit star as a big and anytime Baum walks on the court she is an assissan.  I think they will be better then 3rd to last in conferences but even with 14 players the depth is not there.   I think they will be a defensive liability but i think you will see the offense open up.

I know players were told they  would be benched if she shot a three if there was more then 20 seconds on the shot clock even if they were wide open he wanted everything pounded low. Wish the e kid could have played her senior season under a coach that would let them go and not worry if they missed a shot.

Look forward to watching the girls and hopefully they are just not a bridge to the eventual remaking of the program and have some juice this season.

Jester1390

Well Engine

at least they have really nice shooting shirts.  I always feel for players who have to be a bridge for a program but not sure if this will be a bridge to nowhere  like the one in Alaska.   The Ad might have destroyed the program for the next 4 years. @ bad teams to come out in California if they lose to cal tech not sure who they will beat this year

FCGrizzliesGrad

https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-news/burglars-steal-anderson-university-womens-basketball-team-jerseys-electronics/

The Anderson women had their van broken into while in St Louis for the Webster tournament over the weekend losing their bags and equipment. They had to borrow Webster jerseys for their game against the Gorloks.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Jester1390

Engine  dont know if you made it to the gym this weekend but i was verry happy for the girls. They played tough and they have some talent. I dont know if they will win alot of games but they looked to be having fun.  It must be refreshing for the upper classmen perimeter players to be given the ok to shoot the ball and your not pulled if you miss a three early in a shot clock. sometime your most open shot comes then.

My daughter watched and  I asked her do you have any regrets with you and the other players blowing up the program at such a high price to yourselves in not getting any senior moments or memories,  She told me No.

She has friend's still on the team and they have told her and this is to the new coaches credit how much fun they are having again. When i get moments of self pity about my daughter not playing that last season. I take solace in her words and attitude. Dad its new era for Rose my time is done and im ok  with how it ended for me as long as it brought the change that needed to happen.

Rose is a dilemma for me when i watch. The petty angry part of me hopes they get destroyed but then I remember how exceptional these young women are to go through the grind they do and then on top somehow make time for basketball.   I see how the school got my daughter ready to crush in the real world both financially and her succeed as a new engineer.

So lets go Rose basketball i hope it will always be something you look forward too and  in getting your mind off your studies and huge amount of pressure your under and something you shouldn't dread having to go too.

Enginerd

Glad to hear the girls are having fun again. They really ought to win a minimum of 16 games this season with the amount of talent that the former coach was able to recruit - Hard to believe that he was that good a recruiter if he was such a lousy coach. They've got 3 kids that had multiple Division I offers as well as Reese who was a solid, solid HS PG. Add seasoned veteran Black and the heady Gallegos (whose sister is on the Mexican women's national team) and you have a hell of a group of kids that were assembled well before the new staff arrived - but to their credit they've managed to keep them all together. I'm sure the new staff were made very well aware that, if they didn't accomplish anything else this year, they weren't to run anyone off! Looks like there is a couple of capable female assistant coaches as well - which is something that was always lacking in the past, for sure. This has worked out reasonably well so far - despite the coaching search devolving from a handshake agreement last winter - to literally the flip of a coin in July. The true test will be recruiting. Since Division III and/or high academic experience held no consideration in the "search process", we'll see what they are able to bring in next year on their own.

FCGrizzliesGrad

HCAC Tournament

#1 Transylvania (25-0, 18-0)

#4 Franklin (16-9, 11-7)
#5 Rose-Hulman (12-13, 9-9)

#3 Mount St Joseph (20-5, 14-4)
#6 Anderson (12-13, 8-10)

#2 Hanover (18-7, 16-2)

MSJ won 83-61 while Franklin won 73-69 scoring the last 5 points in the final minute. Semis are Friday at Transylvania.

The Pioneers are currently on a 58 game winning streak which is T6th longest in D3 WBB history, T10th in all womens basketball, and T13th all college basketball.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Riley Zayas

Had the chance to see Franklin and Transy face off in Lexington last Tuesday in the regular season. Jessica Darmelio is really leading the Franklin program well...3rd time in the last decade that Franklin has won 17 games in a season. Big-time improvement from last year.
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Transylvania have now won 62 in a row and 93 of their last 94 dating back to Feb 2021.

QuoteThe win is the 62nd straight for Transylvania, who now holds the third longest win streak in NCAA DIII women's basketball history, the seventh longest in all divisions for women's basketball, and the eighth longest win streak in all of college basketball history.

If they reach the Final Four, coach Juli Fulks will reach 400 wins

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

FCGrizzliesGrad

Stout put up a heck of a fight, leading by 6 at halftime and tied with under 2 1/2 minutes left but Transylvania was able to close it out in the final minutes 63-58. Most points they've given up since Eau Claire scored 59 on 12/30. Last game decided by single digits was a 6 point win over Wisconsin Lutheran on 11/26.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

FCGrizzliesGrad

The streak continues :) 
Transylvania beat their second WIAC school in 2 nights after a 62-48 over Whitewater. Coach Fulks got her 400th career win.
Next stop, the Final Four at Capital against #1 NYU. It will be the 8th time #1 vs #2 meet in the tournament but first in the semifinals (2x Sweet 16, 4x Elite 8, 1x championship). The 1 seed is 5-2 in those matchups but Transylvania has one of the wins for the 2 seed from last years title game. It will be a repeat of last year's Elite 8 matchup which the Pioneers won 79-63 at home.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

FCGrizzliesGrad

QuoteAfter going 733 days without a loss, which included 64 wins, three Elite Eights, two Final Fours, and one National Championship, the Pioneers suffered a heartbreaking loss to New York University in the 2024 NCAA DIII Final Four, 42-57.
A rough 2nd quarter where Transy was outscored 18-5 was the deciding factor. The other three quarters were all close with NYU winning the 1st and 4th by 2 and the Pioneers winning the 3rd by 2.
NYU was a perfect 16-16 from the line while Transy was just 7-14.
Dasia Thornton grabbed her 1000th rebound to become the 2nd Pioneer to have 1k career points and rebounds

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer