FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffMan and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

tmerton

oldsju67

For what it's worth, I also played at SJU for the two years that Grant coached there.  His two recruiting classes is what jump started this last great St. John's run.  Also, as a sidenote, he ran intersquad scrimages with the scout teams that were as close to live action as SJU could get in practice.  Point being, he may keep a lot of John's philosophy and style, but he's not gonna be his clone if he gets the job.
The last shall be first and the  shall be... FIRST AGAIN!!!

DuffMan

Quote from: tmerton on November 21, 2012, 10:53:54 AM
Message for 105 - it may shortly be safe to come back to visit in SF.   8-)

So, a guy named Wiener is against nudity in San Fran???  ;D
Wiener, the sponsor of the proposal, admits he was reluctant to take the step of banning public nudity, but that the issue has evolved beyond the presence of a few naked guys in the Castro and is a growing problem that generates more complaints from his constituents than homelessness or Muni.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

faunch

Quote from: sfury on November 21, 2012, 09:48:47 AM
Quote from: sju#57 on November 21, 2012, 01:47:42 AM
Faunch, I was trying to insunuate(sp) that Mike wouldn't, pretty sure he puts in a ton of work at EP, it's just that he would be able to focus that energy on one thing.....I don't think he would take this job lightly in the fact that he has alot of pride in being a Johnnie and alot of respect for the job John has done and would want to take the program back to being a perenial power....just my opinion, I could be wrong as I haven't spoken to Mike in a couple of yrs or been around him on a daily basis, but my prior experience with him is he wouldn't slack off.

Yeah I read that comment about work more in the spirit of Gagliardi's when he took over St. John's and spoke about how happy he was that he wouldn't be coaching everything like he did at Carroll, although they did eventually add hockey.

I'm not trying to say that Mike wouldn't work hard.  My point is that SJU needs somebody that is going to out hustle and out work UST and others in the MIAC.  UST is winning before the first whistle of the season blows.  Grant, Fasching, Ramler can all coach...SJU just needs better players.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

faunch

Quote from: oldsju67 on November 21, 2012, 11:01:07 AM
For what it's worth, I also played at SJU for the two years that Grant coached there.  His two recruiting classes is what jump started this last great St. John's run.  Also, as a sidenote, he ran intersquad scrimages with the scout teams that were as close to live action as SJU could get in practice.  Point being, he may keep a lot of John's philosophy and style, but he's not gonna be his clone if he gets the job.

I checked out two of UST's "Futures Games" this fall.  Live, full contact scrimmages....SJU really needs to get back to doing these to help identify and develop talent.

faunch

Quote from: DuffMan on November 21, 2012, 09:11:54 AM
Quote from: sjusection105 on November 21, 2012, 05:34:12 AM
Does anyone know what he has been doing for the past year?

No, he's really been under the radar since leaving Carleton.  He was mentioned in Rajkowski's SJU chat yesterday, so I think Frank will hunt him down for questioning.  ;D

Searched for him on Facebook...he has mutual friend so his profile popped up.  Looks like he's spent some time at the beach and is enjoying being a "Citizen at life"

sju#57

Didn't we also have an actual full contact scrimmage at the end of training camp? But as I remember, I think it was Tommy Rambolt who got hurt and John was all kinds of pissed so he was like "no more full contact scrimage....." Think that is how Pat Mayhew got the starting gig isn't it oldsju67?  Wasn't Tommy supposed to start that season?  20 some yrs ago is along time... ;D
"Make sure the juice is worth the squeeze."

sjusection105

Quote from: tmerton on November 21, 2012, 10:53:54 AM
Message for 105 - it may shortly be safe to come back to visit in SF.   8-)

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-barely-passes-public-nudity-ban-4055606.php#photo-3769844

As I mentioned to you earlier this summer, one ride on the trolly by Fisherman's Wharf & I realized this definitely was not Stearns County  ???
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

DuffMan

Nothing like a legend retiring to bring the "posters of yesteday" out of the woodwork!  ;D

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Redtooth

Quote from: sju#57 on November 21, 2012, 11:19:23 AM

Didn't we also have an actual full contact scrimmage at the end of training camp? But as I remember, I think it was Tommy Rambolt who got hurt and John was all kinds of pissed so he was like "no more full contact scrimage....." Think that is how Pat Mayhew got the starting gig isn't it oldsju67?  Wasn't Tommy supposed to start that season?  20 some yrs ago is along time... ;D

57, your memory is close....the scrimmage you refer to was in 89.  Ramboldt was playing QB and did hurt his ankle, but that led to Varley becoming the starter as he was the 2.  Tommy still started against GAC and Cord and re-injured it.  Varley's first start was against CST and he went the rest of the way.  When Ramboldt got healthy he backed up Mike Ramler at TE, while Mayhew became the 2 at QB.  In 1990 and 1991, Mayhew was the starter at QB and Tommy started at TE.

sju#57

Quote from: Redtooth on November 21, 2012, 11:57:16 AM
Quote from: sju#57 on November 21, 2012, 11:19:23 AM

57, your memory is close....the scrimmage you refer to was in 89.  Ramboldt was playing QB and did hurt his ankle, but that led to Varley becoming the starter as he was the 2.  Tommy still started against GAC and Cord and re-injured it.  Varley's first start was against CST and he went the rest of the way.  When Ramboldt got healthy he backed up Mike Ramler at TE, while Mayhew became the 2 at QB.  In 1990 and 1991, Mayhew was the starter at QB and Tommy started at TE.

Thanks Jeff, like I said...20 some yrs ago is along time to remember the exact details....I just remember the QB order went from John Laiti, to Varley, to Mayhew....Tommy was a good QB, just couldn't stay healthy....

hazzben

Quote from: faunch on November 21, 2012, 01:00:29 AM
Quote from: sju#57 on November 21, 2012, 12:47:44 AM
As a former player, I think the top canidate would be Mike.  Not only did I have the privilage to play for him, but also got to play with Jimmy.  Back then we only had 4 coaches. John, Mike, Jerry and John Elton(former head wrestling coach).  John and Mike handled the O and Jerry and John handled the D.  My gut feelings are telling me that if Mike got the job, Jimmy would be out, which I think should have been done along time ago..The Alumni would love it and maybe dispell some of the fears of a current coach who was part of the latest downfall being stuck in the same rut.  Also, who knows the TC HS scene better than Mike? He's working on his 8th state title this Fri.  Had a conversation with another former player who spoke with Mike a couple of yrs back about if he could adjust from HS to D3...his reply was "it would be alot less work." Right now he is the Head coach, plus has I think 3(?) jv teams and is also the athletic coordinator, so all he would have to worry about at SJU would be coaching. I have nothing against Gary, I just think Mike would handle the pressure better of stepping into Johns shoes having lived in his fathers shadow all these years. IDK, maybe I'm a little biased, but whoever gets the job I wish them luck...

I think we need a coach that is prepared to put in a lot of work.

I get that EP is akin to an empire that he's running. But I think Grant is missing the enormity of the task at hand if he thinks it will be 'a lot less work' taking over SJU. The college coaching world, especially in D3, has changed drastically since his last days in Collegeville. That's not to insinuate he's out of touch or couldn't do the job. But to get SJU back to their previous level there will be tons of work involved, particularly in the offseason. Granted, Mike already has some experience with recruiting  ;) :)

sju#57

Hazzben,  I completly agree with you that it will be alot of work and Im sure Mike knows that.  But as an Alum and old player Im looking at it from the pt of he's gonna need $$$ and recruiting.  So with him being a successful former player, coach, aka Alum, the $$$ should come alot easier than with hiring an outsider or even say Rambler who has had some success but not to the level of Mike. And as far as recruiting goes Im pretty sure any All-State player in MN would know who he is and the top notch program he runs.  He also would have instant name recognition with the players parents, aka the ones who pay the tuition. Im just spitballing here so I could be all wrong...but if I was on the commitee, he'd be in my top 2 canidates.....Tim Brewster being the other.... ;D

sju#57

Hazzben, I also think you are taking Mikes comment a little to literal....pretty sure he was being a little facetious....think he was refering more to the fact that he would have less hats to wear aka Head coach, athletic coord., manage upteen coachs for 3(?) jv teams, ect.   I was also not there so I don't know the context of the conversation, but just from the way it was explained to me, this is the way Im interpreting it....so Im sure he has a full grasp of the task at hand as Ive seen him at numerous games and I know he talks with John on a pretty regular basis.

AO

St. Thomas to D1?

Maybe not, I blame Jan Gangelhoff and Russ Archambault.  Dienhart clearly fears the risks associated with D-1. 

Quote"When it's working well, it's a sight to behold. And it can work. There's just no guarantee that it will."

QuoteThere's something about where we are right now, and also something about how competitive we are right now, that feels right for what's expected here.

Interpretation: We'd much rather crush smaller opponents than push ourselves to become better or realize our full potential. 

Seems like a simple matter of timing.  Conduct the study in 2008 rather than 2005, around the time of the Anderson's gift and $500 Million campaign and previously prohibitive costs are suddenly affordable.