BB: General New England Discussion

Started by Paul Heering, February 14, 2007, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbgosfan

d3baseballnut,
Yes WNEC did play AT ECSU this year, at a time when ECSU  was ranked number 1. The result was:

WNEC 14 ECSU 3.

fact on another thread DGilblair mentioned  to wordsmith that he was rooting for Curry in TCCC tournament because he did NOT want to see WNEC at Mansfield again this year.

I understand Curry's winning percentage is strong and they do have a good case but in my opinion it was aided by weaker competition than some others played and again in my opinion I think that WPI should get the bid before Curry. A second at large from NE should be given to ESCU or USM, whoever ends up losing in the LEC tournament.

d3baseballnut

Well according to the committee and Ralph Turner, the picks are done nationally, even though they are done by comparing regional records.

As stupid as that is, thats true.

Therefore, you pick 13 pool C teams that you think deserve to get in over Curry, and I guarantee you for the last 4 or 5, you will be having to purposefully overlook Curry to justify the other's teams' inclusion.

rbgosfan

d3baseballnut,
Check your facts, WNEC is in the regionals for the 4th consecutive year and five out of the last six and while not having won the regional yet, have finished as high as 3rd in 2006. Whether they plow through this year or not, they have shown that they deserve to play with the best in not only NE, but the best in the country.

GBear210

d3baseballnut,
I agree,  The TCCC tourney is nothing compared to the New England Regional tourney.
34-7 didn't get it done in TCCC and WNEC is now in their 4th straight regional.
Curry - out
Wheaton - out
WPI - in

d3spectator

I may have overlooked WPI a bit here with their in-region record.  I just took a quick glance at their schedule and what not and noticed that WPI couldn't run this kid Fahey more into the ground if they dug a hole and stuck him in there and told him himself to start digging.  Does anybody else see this?  The kid has thrown 80.2 innings with the next CLOSEST being 48.2!!!  That is absolutely absurd and still to put up the numbers he has this season, hats off.  However how much depth does WPI have in the pitching?  I looked at the box scores of a couple of in-region games they had and Fahey had thrown against St. Joes, Babson (double header), and Wheaton (double header).  He also came in, after starting a game 2 days BEFORE, against Trinity (Conn.) and shut them down as he threw 2.2 innings giving up no runs and 1 hit.  That game ended up 9-7, without this kid, I don't see WPI pulling that one out, but nobody can tell.   

What I'm getting at here is once WPI gets beyond Fahey, who seems to be their ace starter and closer as he leads the team with 3 saves along with 7 wins, they don't have much depth.  I looked at their offense and they have one guy batting over .350, Wheaton has 4, Southern Maine has 7, EConn has 7, just to name a few.  I don't know if the committee looks at how far a team can go in the tourney or not, but I guess it can be a consideration of the human element, again.

rbgosfan

Trying to keep an open mind, I looked more into Curry's 34 and 7 record and found that once they returned home from Florida, they played only 1 non conference game on the road. That game was against RIC and they lost. All other non conference games were at their home field. If I remember the handbook correctly home wins do not carry as much weight as road wins which is another fact working against Curry.

moc323

d3spectator:

Very nice research on WPI's pitching...and I agree they are a tough call for tourney committee...   guess they'd need to throw their ace in 1st game of Regionals.., then pray for 4 days of rain?? so he could start their 2nd game also, on 4 days rest!?

Although Wheaton has 4 guys at .350 or higher, as you said... they are 3-5 in their last 8 games and have been outscored 69-45 during that stretch.    Their pitching has about the same winning %  (.375) as their top 4 batters' avg lately, so....not sure I'd give them the nod to go too far in Regionals either, if that's something to be considered as you suggest?    2 of those losses were to ECSU (11-0) and to UMass- Dartmouth 12-9 (a 14-28 team approx?) so.....  lots of tough calls this year, as far as at large bids go in New Eng.     just how many will be doled out?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: rbgosfan on May 05, 2009, 10:21:19 PM
Trying to keep an open mind, I looked more into Curry's 34 and 7 record and found that once they returned home from Florida, they played only 1 non conference game on the road. That game was against RIC and they lost. All other non conference games were at their home field. If I remember the handbook correctly home wins do not carry as much weight as road wins which is another fact working against Curry.
No, the OOWP/OWP changed that.  :)

d3spectator

I'm still torn by this whole Wheaton/Curry/WPI thing.  I did some more research and looked at non-conference in-region games only and this is what I came up with.

Curry played: Bowdoin (2), Johnson and Wales, Babson, Wheaton, RIC, and Bridgewater
- They played 7 games and went 5-2 in those games

WPI played: St. Joes (2), Fitchburg State (3), Umass Dartmouth (2), Johnson and Wales, Becker, Worcester State, Nichols, Trinity, Westfield State, Brandeis, Elms, and Framingham State (2)
- They played 17 games and went 15-2 in those games

Wheaton played: WNEC (2), Roger Williams (2), Rhode Island College (2), Umass-Dartmouth (2), Endicott, Brandeis (2), Suffolk, USM, Bridgewater, Curry, Keene State, and ECSU.
- They played 17 games and went 12-5 in those games.

I also looked at the teams they played and compiled then added wins and losses and this is what it looks like:

Curry's opponents were overall 142-97

WPI's opponents were overall 238-215

Wheaton's opponents were overall 299-177 (this is without ECSU, Keene, or USM finishing the LEC)

- Did Curry's coach just forget to schedule ANY out of conference games at some point? Does this show any justice to how strength of schedule can influence the committee?  Just a little more breakdown before Sunday comes along. Just something I thought would pass the time until Sunday. Thoughts? Thanks guys.

Spec

d3ball123

Spec-

Check out the definition of an "in region" game.  Wheaton beat TCNJ twice, and Hopkins/william patterson once each.  Those are in region wins as well.

moc323

D3SPEC--

Great stats you worked up, thank you.....

that sos probably helps explain why Wheaton's team ERA is # 73 nationally, at 4.77.....while WPI's is # 23 at 3.90    

I didn't bother checking Curry's team e.r.a.....since their non conference, in region schedule only included 7 games...vs 17 for both WPI and for Wheaton.  

d3spectator

D3ball,

What I did was click on New England region here on this site in the upper left hand corner, so that it lists all the teams in the New England field and those are the teams I saw.  If I'm not mistaken Hopkins is in the Mid-Atlantic region, but if those three teams are considered in the New England region then all the more power to Wheaton scheduling 21 games and going 16-5 in those games. Thanks.

Spec

Ralph Turner

Quote from: d3spectator on May 06, 2009, 12:21:14 AM
D3ball,

What I did was click on New England region here on this site in the upper left hand corner, so that it lists all the teams in the New England field and those are the teams I saw.  If I'm not mistaken Hopkins is in the Mid-Atlantic region, but if those three teams are considered in the New England region then all the more power to Wheaton scheduling 21 games and going 16-5 in those games. Thanks.

Spec

The link to the Handbook is on this page.   :)

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=6387.0

d3spectator

D3ball,

You are right, I was going by the wrong thing apparently, or maybe I'm just getting confused (new to D3, sorry).  TCNJ, Hopkins, and William Patterson do count as in-region wins.  Revisions to my previous post look like this now:

Wheaton plays 21 games going 16-5 while opponents win/loss record is now 370-223

Sorry about that, guess that's not very good research on my part  >:(

Spec

Ralph Turner

Quote from: d3spectator on May 06, 2009, 12:36:07 AM
D3ball,

You are right, I was going by the wrong thing apparently, or maybe I'm just getting confused (new to D3, sorry).  TCNJ, Hopkins, and William Patterson do count as in-region wins.  Revisions to my previous post look like this now:

Wheaton plays 21 games going 16-5 while opponents win/loss record is now 370-223

Sorry about that, guess that's not very good research on my part  >:(

Spec
No problem...

we have several more fans providing research this season.

We don't have the databases that Pat has for football and hoops,  (and the untimely death of Patrick Abegg was a huge loss!!!!!!)  so we need to build them.

Just do you research, throw it out for other fans to proofread and double-check and move onto the next item of interest.   :)

You have a great group of D3 fans on these boards, and it is getting better every year!