BB: General New England Discussion

Started by Paul Heering, February 14, 2007, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gorman

Quote from: hockeyfan77 on May 18, 2007, 05:41:18 PM
Quote from: Bill Gorman on May 17, 2007, 10:48:22 AM
Agreed totally on Curry.  They played the equivalent of nearly three games yesterday.  Despite going "two and BBQ" they continued to battle to the end.

As an aside, I was the Media Coordinator the first two years the regional was in Harwich.  D3Cast (then JumboCast) did the 2002 regional (audio only)--the first time it had been done.  Watching that last night, the improvements that have been made at Whitehouse Field press-wise (trust me on this one), have certainly added to what already was a very nice facility.  It is a great location to hold a regional tournament.

Better than Hadlock field in Portland Maine???  As I player I hated playing there(Harwich)...

Of course playing in a minor-league park is going to be better than playing at a high school/Cape Cod League field.  The amenities and resources are clearly much better.  The first year ('01) the regionals were there (and I'm assuming you were on that USM team?) I could go on about behind the scenes horror stories (having nothing to do with the games, or anything that would affect the student-athletes) because the facility wasn't fully equipped to handle what we were putting on.  Many changes were made from that standpoint when they were back there in '02.  My involvement ended after that year, as my boss' term as the regional chair had ended (and he was the one who had the ECAC get me involved), but what I have seen through the video, a lot of things have changed to accommodate the tournament.
Bill Gorman
Associate AD/SID
Wentworth Institute of Technology

Bill Gorman

Quote from: D3Cast on May 19, 2007, 12:37:12 AMHi to Bill Gorman -- it really doesn't seem like five years and one major press box expansion ago that I was waiting for the phone guy to show up at Whitehouse Field so that JumboCast could put the first phone line in its press box, to audiocast Tufts' games in the '02 regional... now the issues in the press box are WHICH wireless access point to connect to, and where we can put the TV monitor for the press box webcast feed.  ;D

Steve, I remember that day well.  I recall my blood pressure rising each minute we were getting closer to "go time" and Verizon had yet to show up  >:(.  High-speed Internet?  No way.  The days of dial-up on the same line that the fax machine was on and only one phone line for radio (not to mention the overloading of every electrical circuit in '01 before a portable generator came onto the scene in '02) are CERTAINLY long gone and the press box/facility manager's office looks like you can get more than three people in there comfortably now.  While I am no longer involved, I am happy to see/hear about these changes.  I was always in favor of having it there, as it was a neutral site, and I'm glad the people who needed to stepped up and took a lot of my recommendations seriously.
Bill Gorman
Associate AD/SID

hockeyfan77

Quote from: Bill Gorman on May 19, 2007, 11:02:43 AM
Quote from: hockeyfan77 on May 18, 2007, 05:41:18 PM
Quote from: Bill Gorman on May 17, 2007, 10:48:22 AM
Agreed totally on Curry.  They played the equivalent of nearly three games yesterday.  Despite going "two and BBQ" they continued to battle to the end.

As an aside, I was the Media Coordinator the first two years the regional was in Harwich.  D3Cast (then JumboCast) did the 2002 regional (audio only)--the first time it had been done.  Watching that last night, the improvements that have been made at Whitehouse Field press-wise (trust me on this one), have certainly added to what already was a very nice facility.  It is a great location to hold a regional tournament.

Better than Hadlock field in Portland Maine???  As I player I hated playing there(Harwich)...

Of course playing in a minor-league park is going to be better than playing at a high school/Cape Cod League field.  The amenities and resources are clearly much better.  The first year ('01) the regionals were there (and I'm assuming you were on that USM team?) I could go on about behind the scenes horror stories (having nothing to do with the games, or anything that would affect the student-athletes) because the facility wasn't fully equipped to handle what we were putting on.  Many changes were made from that standpoint when they were back there in '02.  My involvement ended after that year, as my boss' term as the regional chair had ended (and he was the one who had the ECAC get me involved), but what I have seen through the video, a lot of things have changed to accommodate the tournament.

Yes, I was involved with the USM teams that hosted the regionals there...I know of some of the problems there, ie a rain out and having to play the championship round at the USM field in Gorham against Bridgewater...I agree that it should be played on a neutral site but as a player, I have played on both and I have a personal gruge on the field in Harwich, it was 11 years ago that i played there so I am sure it is much improved so maybe it just sour grapes cause I can't see the regional's now without driving down there...I thought I was going to see them this year, but the NCAA with it's awesome wisdom won't let you watch achived games on D3 cast...

Bill Gorman

Sorry...by "there" I meant Harwich in 2001, not Hadlock/USM.
Bill Gorman
Associate AD/SID

ECSUalum

I would just like to post a note on what a wonderful job D3Cast  has done with the NCAA NE Regional @ Harwich.

Just a real professional job with the webcast!!

Feel fortunate to be able to watch all the games.  Hope the other regionals will have same opportunity next year

Keep up the excellent work.

John McGraw

Re: Bernardini

There was a report that Bernardini was supposedly going to pitch for the Hyannis Mets or Falmouth Commodores this summer, I forget which. Last I saw, he was not listed on either roster. He might be used as a temp player.

wordsmith

Quote from: wordsmith on May 17, 2007, 08:20:21 PM
Quote from: Paul Heering on May 17, 2007, 07:41:56 PM
come on word, KSC over Wheaton is an upset, it isn't 1980 U.S. Hockey vs USSR but it is an upset.

Sorry, I don't agree. :-\ I understand why you think that way though,and I hope all the other teams continue to think that way. One team I bet isn't thinking that way tonight and that is ECornSt.

Here is the line for the game earlier this spring. 10 inning duel at Sidell.

Score by Innings                      R  H  E
---------------------------------------------
Keene State College. 002 000 100 0 -  3  9  2
Wheaton College..... 100 000 002 1 -  4  7  2
---------------------------------------------

HARWICH, MA- The top-seeded Wheaton College baseball team saw its memorable season come to a close Saturday night at the NCAA Division III New England Regional Tournament, falling to fifth seed Keene State College, 4-1 for the second time in three days at Whitehouse Field. ;D

Another upset? I think not.

Word

wordsmith

The Owls fell an inning short last week but with Shawn Gilblair, the hero for Eastern Connecticut in the Little East championship, ailing will this be the Keene State's time?

What's up with Gilblair ??? This quote came from the front page of the D3 Site.
Word

ECSUalum

I had the same question.  He played yesterday, no comments about being hurt?!

Jim Dixon

Quote from: ECSUalum on May 20, 2007, 09:40:00 AM
I had the same question.  He played yesterday, no comments about being hurt?!

Gilblair left the game on Friday with I think a non-pitching hand injury.  My reports say he is not 100% but that was a day or more ago.

A less that 100% Gilblair is still a pretty good ball player though.

dgilblair

His thumb on his glove hand has been sore for three weeks.  He injured his pitching has thumb by getting jammed this week and he has a little tweak in his back.  Nothing to serious.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: DGilblair on May 20, 2007, 10:06:43 AM
His thumb on his glove hand has been sore for three weeks.  He injured his pitching has thumb by getting jammed this week and he has a little tweak in his back.  Nothing to serious.

I suspect it is difficult to not have an nagging injury every now and then for all athletes.

dgilblair

Absolutely, dont go on the field if you hurt your team.  Tons of guys get banged up in the course of the year.  Congrats to the team for a great job.

Jcon2134

Nick Conway from Umass-Boston is not yet listed on the roster But he will again be playing in the NECBL for the Lowell All Americans this year. After last year starting the summer playing down the Cape for the Brewster Whitecaps and then being offered a Contract to finish the summer with the Sanford Mainers and did that but this year he will be starting the season in the NECBL for the Lowell All Americans.

Jcon2134

The all americans roster was just updated and i was looking at it again and it loks as though Mike Tingely is no longer on it and thats is there final roster to start the season now it changes durning season up to a certian point but I am curious why he is no longer on the roster.