BB: General New England Discussion

Started by Paul Heering, February 14, 2007, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEC Fan

hey just heard some second hand info. What happened @ Eastern?

DougiesGoinDeep

Anyone have any info on summer league signings? Did Gilblair signed with a cape league team?

dgilblair

Quote from: DougiesGoinDeep on February 04, 2008, 10:28:37 AM
Anyone have any info on summer league signings? Did Gilblair signed with a cape league team?

No

stevejohnson

Anyone have and news on Shawn Gilblair.  I heard a rumor from an Eastern source that he didn't play in their opening game against Kean because of a failed drug test.  I'm wondering if there is any truth to this rumor. 

If not, can anyone give some info on why he was held back.  He didn't pitch and didn't DH.  That seems like he must be hurt or suspended.  I can't think of any other reason to keep an All-American out of the line-up against the defending national champion.  I remember he had some injury issues at the end of last year, but the ECSU website says he is scheduled to pitch on Wednesday. 

Paul Heering

I don't know any information about who did or did not play for eastern yesterday but to post in a public forum that you heard a "rumor" that a college kid failed a drug test is irresponsible (in my opinion) 

stevejohnson

You're probably right about the scope of my previous post.  I was just trying to get to the bottom of his absence from the line-up.  If anyone has info on that, it would be appreciated. 

Paul Heering

Anybody have any early seasons games they are interested in coming up?

With many teams getting into action this weekend there are some good battles coming up.  Any in particular people are looking forward to?

KSCfan

Im looking forward to Keene and College of New Jersey coming up. A double header against a quality team like that will determine how signifigant losing two top pitchers in Stromgren and Young will be, and we will see how good Keenes offense will be.  Losing only two bats out of the lineup, a quality 4 hitter and a singles guy from the bottom of the line up, keene should put some offense up this year which will be differant from a team that tends to be more pitching/defense.  Love the fact that the season is getting underway, and to answer the Gailblair question check out the LEC posting there is like a million comments on his injury

soxfan42585

Top New England Region Conference

It is hard to argue the point that one of the traditionally deepest conferences is the Little East

How would you rank the conferences this year in terms of strength.  I do not mean necessarily who has the top team to represent in the NCAA's- but rather, top to bottom who has the top conference?

I'd like to see what other people say before I throw my opinion out there.

KSCfan

Soxfan i think that you are right that the best conferance top to bottom is the Little East in New England.  The next best conferance is the NESCAC.  And here is why i broke this down this way. 
-First the top three in the LEC of Southern Maine, Keene State, and Eastern Connecticut are teams with more talent and depth than the big three of Trinity, Williams, and Ahmerst.  Keene and Eastern last year where the last two teams in the NE regional, and essentially are bringing there whole teams back with the exception of one or two.  I think that Trinity is stacked dont get me wrong and i expect them to make a run deep into the Regionals but i think that the LEC has three stacked teams at the top, last year keene and eastern won over 30 games each where as Trinity was the only 30 game winner in the NESCAC.  Southern Maine had 27 wins and that was a disapointing season for them.

-The middle teams is where i might give the Nescac the edge over the little east.  Tufts and Bowdoin are no slouches, and they seemed to teams that are more constant that say a Rhode Island College and or a UMass Boston.  I mean Tufts finished first in the NESCAC last year regular season and thats no small feat and i would in my humble opinion put them over Bosont and Ric in the LEC. 

-The bottom of the Conferance has to go the LEC again.  I think that teams such as Plymouth, UMass Dartmouth, and Western Ct would pound the bottom of the Nescac as the bottom of the Nescac to put it lightly struggles year in and year out.  Hamiltion Colby and Bates won a combine 22 games last year, where as the bottom three of the LEC won 27 games. 

After the LEC and the Nescac i feel that the conferances top to bottom really drop off, i would put the LEC one and the NESCAC a close two, just my thoughts prove me wrong!

Rick Vaughn

I  have the same reasoning as KSCfan on the LEast and the NESCAC, but will throw the NEWMAC into the mix.

NEWMAC: New power Wheaton with consistent programs Babson, WPI, and Springfield.

The NEWMAC is on the rise, but having only six teams in conference hurts them.  What Wheaton has done is truly amazing.  The program has been around for 10 years and is already a national power. 

The rest of the field should be the GNAC and the CCC are a toss up for the 4/5 spots.  The MASCAC is pretty bad, but no conference is worse than the NAC.  That is middle school level baseball being played at the bottom of those conferences.

soxfan42585

I think it is hard to argue with your top two pics.

I would go with:

LEC
NESCAC
NEWMAC
GNAC
CCC
MASCAC
NAC
NEGNAC (when it comes around it will be the worst in the nation)

I agree with you pretty much throughout.  So it kind of makes the whole discussion an agreement.  But I based mine upon the bottoms being so bad.  The bad teams from some conferences are ridiculously bad.  Some should be clubs.  However, I am glad there are so many opportunities for kids to play college baseball.  It is a great thing!  Keep on playing!

By the same token, I'd be embarassed to be the bottom of the heap for some of the conferences at the bottom of that list. 

Rick Vaughn

Anyone care to explain the reasoning behind the UAA tourney going on right now?  Is the conference tourney for an automatic bid?  Any 'Deis folks who care to weigh in I would love an explanation.

Paul Heering

I am guessing that they play their tournament now while the teams are on spring break and can get together in one central location.  The six teams listed on the UAA website with baseball teams are in Mass., New York, Illinois, Georgia, & Ohio. 

The six teams tells me there is no automatic bid.  You need at least 7.

soxfan42585

What does UAA stand for and is it just a southern trip showdown?  Much the same way of the Gene Cusick Classic, where it bears no significance who wins?