Redshirting

Started by mbsmj5, September 04, 2014, 03:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbsmj5

I have a son playing and he is a junior,he has been injured and will most most if not all of the season.The coach doesn't agree with redshirting him,how does the rules work at the d-3 level with this and is it the coaches decision to make?Thanks for your help

02 Warhawk

I believe the school applies for the Redshirt to the NCAA. The coach will be doing the student-athlete (and possibly the team) a huge disservice if he doesn't believe in medical redshirting.

badgerwarhawk

Generally it is handled by the compliance officer and trainer.  Here's an link that discusses the process.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm
"Just think twice is my only advice."

mbsmj5

Great info guys thanks for the help on this..

Mr. Ypsi

Medical redshirts are the only one's allowed in D3, though some schools practice 'greyshirting', where the player participates in all team activities except formal practices and games, and thus retains an extra year of eligibility.  Obviously, this is more common at public schools than private ones, due to the prohibitive cost of an extra year's tuition.

Also, IIRC, medical redshirts are only given if the games the player participated in were early in the season (for a ten game season, only if the player is lost before the fifth game; for 9 or fewer games, only before the fourth game).  If you son gets healthy enough to play later than that, you'd want to check with the coach or compliance officer or he might burn a whole season for one game - it better be a damned important game to do that!

ncc_fan

Since he's out for the year and the first game hasn't yet taken place, am I not correct in thinking that there's no need for the school to apply for a so-called "medical redshirt", because he won't burn a season of eligibility if he doesn't play?  And he has 10 semesters of full-time enrollment to use his 4 seasons of eligibility. 

I'm a little fuzzier on the issue of practicing with the team.  The NCAA rules seem to say that you use a season of eligibility if you even practice with your team at any time after the opening game.  See #6a in the DIII eligibility document:  http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/compliance_forms/DIII/Summary%20of%20Regulations.pdf

Pat Coleman

Correct -- if you play in the first game, or practice after the first game, you use a year of eligibility. Unless you can get the medical hardship season.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hazzben

Quote from: mbsmj5 on September 04, 2014, 03:48:49 PM
I have a son playing and he is a junior,he has been injured and will most most if not all of the season.The coach doesn't agree with redshirting him,how does the rules work at the d-3 level with this and is it the coaches decision to make?Thanks for your help

Not to repeat what's been said above. But I'll throw in my 2ยข, having actually applied for and received a medical hardship, I had a few thoughts.

First, you don't need to decide right now. It's not something he applies for immediately (if he doesn't participate, he'll fill out the paperwork in the offseason). So, he can monitor the injury, along with the coach and especially the athletic training staff. Getting a doctor's opinion is also important, since most trainers don't have an M.D.

Not knowing the details of the injury, it doesn't hurt to take a wait and see. Your best option is probably to get him involved in appropriate treatment/physical therapy and monitor how he recovers. If it improves and by week 4 or 5 he's ready to return to practice, you probably don't need to go the hardship route. If it doesn't and you're already at week 8, 9 or 10 of the season, it's probably best just to shut it down.

Sometimes the injury is obviously a season ender (blown ACL, etc.) but if that was the case here, I'm guessing the coach wouldn't be pushing for a return to play.

Also, ultimately, the decision to return to the field has to be his call, with clearance from the training staff. He shouldn't let the coach (or a trainer unduly influenced by a coach's pressure tactics) force him to return to practice/games if he doesn't feel healthy enough. Again, get a doc's outside opinion as well. On the flip side, I've heard of guys getting 'season ending injuries' that were really just minor week or two recoveries milked for a season to get a guy an extra year of development/eligibility. That's certainly not the ethical path. But I'm not at all implying that's involved in your case.

mbsmj5

Thanks for all the great advice guys it really is appreciated.It was a torn labrum for him with pins put in as well so he will be done for the year.What I am getting from talking with the trainer is that the coach does not do redshirts no matter what the reason.So if that is the case is it up to the coach or is up to the my son and us to make that decision?If he refuses what happens if we just have him quit the team,will he lose this year of eligibility?

hazzben

Quote from: mbsmj5 on September 08, 2014, 09:04:21 AM
Thanks for all the great advice guys it really is appreciated.It was a torn labrum for him with pins put in as well so he will be done for the year.What I am getting from talking with the trainer is that the coach does not do redshirts no matter what the reason.So if that is the case is it up to the coach or is up to the my son and us to make that decision?If he refuses what happens if we just have him quit the team,will he lose this year of eligibility?

Not up to the coach. It's an NCAA decision. If the AD, coach and or compliance officer are trying to block a legitimate application for a hardship, that's pretty shady IMO. Again, I'll admit I don't know all the details.

If he doesn't play/practice and meets the requirements, he can apply to the NCAA for the hardship. If he stays at the current school, it can be difficult if he's not getting cooperation from the Athletic Department. If he transfers, the school he goes to can apply for the hardship on his behalf. They'll contact the former (presently his current one) school and confirm that he sat out for medical reasons.

Hawks88

Maybe I've misunderstood but I thought that as long as you didn't play any games and didn't practice any after the first game then it saves a year of eligibility and you don't need a medical redshirt?