FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merlecanlas

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 02, 2018, 12:21:58 AM
Quote from: merlecanlas on March 01, 2018, 11:07:18 PM

who should UWW, UWO, etc play?  I don't know.  I would start with an NCAA team.  I'm not paid a healthy salary to schedule football games.  I can't imagine alums and fans are stoked with seeing a club football team on any NCAA schedule.  I remember WIAC teams playing other WIAC teams in "non-conference" games not that long ago.   Get creative.  We are a step away from D3 powers playing pee wee football teams in weeks 1 or 2

How about you get creative? I know your only purpose here is to troll, but even you must understand it takes two teams to schedule a game. One does not schedule solely by fiat.

my creativity would involve not scheduling a club football team to play my NCAA team.  What a slap in the face to the kids that bust their humps daily to play a bunch of guys that work in the Dunder Mifflin warehouse.  Maybe VA-Lynchburg came across as a typo and instead of NCCAA (what is that?) it came over as NCAA.  I get it now. 

I have a "creative" story for d3football.com next season.  I say that Pat Coleman should join one of these tremendous college football programs, imagine Pat lining up at WR for the mighty VA-Lynchburg whatever-they-are's or playing DB for the Middle Georgia State Grocery Baggers.  That's a story. 

Pat Coleman

Yeah, see, again, you fail to understand that D-III schools don't want to schedule these teams. Don't waste all of our time with your ridiculous arguing past the actual conversation.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

emma17

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 02, 2018, 01:33:26 AM
Yeah, see, again, you fail to understand that D-III schools don't want to schedule these teams. Don't waste all of our time with your ridiculous arguing past the actual conversation.

This is the main point Merle, D3 teams do not want to schedule these teams, but do so to fill a schedule so their players can play.

Now, if it turns out UWW had any of the following options for an open week:
Faith School Club Team
NAIA any team
D 2 mid to low level team
Non Scholarship program like Butler
D3 team that would only do a 1 yr deal only if they hosted

And chose Faith Club Team, I'd be extremely disappointed in UWW.
It would be nice to know if UWW had these options. If they did, then IMO they should lose sos points.

cover2

Quote from: merlecanlas on March 01, 2018, 11:21:53 PM
Quote from: SaintsFAN on March 01, 2018, 02:53:00 PM
He'd look really good barnstorming the country with Thomas More in 2018 for their 7 road games.  Perhaps a potential move to D2 would entice him?? 

The Saints need a QB but return loads of talent everywhere else. 

And they play AT Saint Johns and AT Huntington while they have home games against UW-Platteville and Muhlenberg. 

I'm just day-dreaming here... give me a moment.

Thomas More would be a great spot for Poorman.  He's going to be really good D3 QB, he could definitely play D2 as well.  But imagine if Poorman transferred down to UMHB.  Use Robinson's athleticism at another position and have a heady QB....would be dangerous. 

I wish the kid well and I'm sure his dad will provide plenty of details of his future plans

Sounds like you know something but aren't sharing....

wally_wabash

Quote from: merlecanlas on March 01, 2018, 11:07:18 PM
Would I bash a D3fb school for playing a fake school if their SOS took a hit?  no.  I get that there are hurdles to scheduling games, but there should be a punishment for playing such games.  As long as the garbage team (Faith, Mid Georgia, etc) hurts team A just like garbage OAC teams (Wilm, Musky, etc) hurt Mount, then I think that would be fair.

I do agree that the NCAA avoiding dealing with these games in the selection/seeding criteria is not ideal.  It cuts both ways though- UWW didn't get appropriate credit for their games against NAIA's Morningside during that home and home series. 

It's also not clear right now how the selection committee is using SOS.  Last year it seemed like they didn't pay much attention to it, unless it really underscored a decision one way or another.  But it was also easily brushed off when it wasn't supportive (say, like with Frostburg's at-large case).  The utility of that criteria is rapidly diminishing as conferences get larger and there are fewer and fewer out-of-conference games that create statistically significant SOS separation as it is currently calculated by the NCAA. 

I don't think it's fair to say that Wilmington and Muskingum hurt Mount Union's SOS in a way that impacts Mount Union's selection (as an at-large in 2016) or their seeding (they were seeded fairly in 2017 and in every other year where they've hosted through the semifinals).  You're over-blowing that point. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Desertraider

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Merle seems to think that the Va-Lynchburgs and Faiths are sought after. The reality is they are last resorts. Now if a team loads up on Faith, Mid Ga State, Va-Lynchburg, etc....that's one thing. However, if you have to finalize a schedule and don't have another option for the 10th game other than Faith - then you gotta fill the schedule with them. I am also not sure where the belief came that the weak-end of OAC hurts Mount - if anything the consensus seems to be that the NCAA has a love affair with Mount and places them in a position to advance every year....for 25+ years....so they can win a championship despite the garbage OAC teams. Merle I would love to see the data that backs up your claim that the Musky, Wilma, CAP and Etta (and I am tossing in Heidi) have hurt Mount come playoff time. Was it that one year where Mount was not a #1 seed and had road games throughout the playoffs? Because hosting through the semis for 20 odd years doesn't help make your case.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

HScoach

I have faith that Merle won't let the facts get in the way of his story.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Desertraider

Wasn't going to do this...what the heck. It's March and I'm bored. So whats the difference between a club team as merle calls them and Wilma, or Etta, or Hiram, or Earlham? I mean I get it Va-Lynchburg and the like don't really play set schedules against anybody (I see VA-L played a UofFlorida club team) but is that really different from the type of competition that Earlham, Hiram, Wilmington, Marietta, and a slew of others provide for the Mount Unions, UMHBs, UWWW, UWOs? I guess merle wants a power conference made up of Mount, UMHB, UWW, UWO, Linfield, UT, StJ, HSU, W&J and Wesley? Let's face there are certain teams in D3 that will blow out just about anybody they play - and that includes some D2 teams in their area. Using Mount as an example - Walsh, NDC and Findlay arent gonna be much different from Otterbein and BW (IMHO). And Ashland...well as Coach Owens has said in the past 'there is no incentive to play them when I already have to recruit against them and we may not win'.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

Craft_Beermeister

Mount Union just won its first NCAA Division III indoor track and field national championship.

BillyRayJimBob

Today was the first time that I have ever really seriously followed track and field, but for the last couple of hours I was on the edge of my seat no different than a tight Purple Raider football game.  Watching that 4x400 Meter relay race, then waiting to see how North Central did in the second heat, was no different than waiting for Rodney Chenos to hit that FG in the 2000 Stagg Bowl.
Incidentally, this morning, without reason, I put on my UMU s/s 2014 Outdoor Track & Field National Championship t-shirt beneath my l/s 2015 Football National Championship t-shirt.
Without MUC/UMU, I would probably be naked!
Was not aware of AJ Digby and his athletic prowess.  Wants to be a football coach, it appears.  Would love to see him streaking down the sideline with a catch the way he ran away from everyone in the anchor leg of the 4x400 meter relay.   

Dr. Acula

The other tie in there is that a couple key football players earned All-America honors helping the team to the title.  Sean Sherman was 4th in the shot put and Louis Berry was runner-up in the 60 m dash.  Poor Lou finished 2nd by 0.01.  So close!  Coach Lucas does such a great job.  I can't imagine there are many guys his age walking around with multiple team national titles on their resume.

WRMUalum13

Quote from: Dr. Acula on March 11, 2018, 12:12:37 PM
The other tie in there is that a couple key football players earned All-America honors helping the team to the title.  Sean Sherman was 4th in the shot put and Louis Berry was runner-up in the 60 m dash.  Poor Lou finished 2nd by 0.01.  So close!  Coach Lucas does such a great job.  I can't imagine there are many guys his age walking around with multiple team national titles on their resume.

Lou is crazy fast and not just for d3 standards.He could be a competitive mid major d1 sprinter with his times! His 6.79 would have won the horizon league championship and been good enough for 3rd place at the MAC championship! I'm actually curious if he got any track scholarship offers coming out of high school. He's gonna be a scary good corner next year. 

SaintsFAN

Quote from: desertraider on March 05, 2018, 07:18:20 AM
Wasn't going to do this...what the heck. It's March and I'm bored. So whats the difference between a club team as merle calls them and Wilma, or Etta, or Hiram, or Earlham? I mean I get it Va-Lynchburg and the like don't really play set schedules against anybody (I see VA-L played a UofFlorida club team) but is that really different from the type of competition that Earlham, Hiram, Wilmington, Marietta, and a slew of others provide for the Mount Unions, UMHBs, UWWW, UWOs? I guess merle wants a power conference made up of Mount, UMHB, UWW, UWO, Linfield, UT, StJ, HSU, W&J and Wesley? Let's face there are certain teams in D3 that will blow out just about anybody they play - and that includes some D2 teams in their area. Using Mount as an example - Walsh, NDC and Findlay arent gonna be much different from Otterbein and BW (IMHO). And Ashland...well as Coach Owens has said in the past 'there is no incentive to play them when I already have to recruit against them and we may not win'.

W&J would never join such a conference.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

jknezek

Quote from: SaintsFAN on March 12, 2018, 08:53:47 AM

Nor should they. DIII conferences aren't about money and making the best match ups. They about some order of 1) AQs, 2) travel, 3) expenses, and 4) mission and values. W&J's conference is pretty ideal, especially without geographic outlier TMC, for all of those.

rscl70

Quote from: jknezek on March 12, 2018, 09:12:12 AM
Quote from: SaintsFAN on March 12, 2018, 08:53:47 AM

Nor should they. DIII conferences aren't about money and making the best match ups. They about some order of 1) AQs, 2) travel, 3) expenses, and 4) mission and values. W&J's conference is pretty ideal, especially without geographic outlier TMC, for all of those.
Nor should any of the others as it would mean eight of the best teams in the country would never see the playoffs.
12-0 = 13