2016 NCAA Tournament

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), February 26, 2016, 08:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 14, 2016, 06:33:37 PM
Even if each school sells their "allotment," I can only assume there's tickets for the general public. For the Final Four, they probably open up enough seats to hold 5,000. The Internet says it holds 6,800, but they always tarp off some seats. But, has a single game ever had a capacity of even 3,500?

Yeah, I was there in 2014 and there were plenty of empty seats for both games.  Very good (and loud) crowd, but no where near the fire marshall's capacity!

In 2012 IWU was in both FF's, so I stayed home to be able to better follow both teams.  The men lost in the semis; I still am kicking myself for not heading over to Holland (only about three hours away) afterwards to watch the Titan women win their first (and so far only) national title the next day.

ronk

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 14, 2016, 06:46:36 PM
Even if each school sells their "allotment," I can only assume there's tickets for the general public. For the Final Four, they probably open up enough seats to hold 5,000. The Internet says it holds 6,800, but they always tarp off some seats. But, has a single game ever had a capacity of even 3,500?

Yeah, I was there in 2014 and there were plenty of empty seats for both games.  Very good (and loud) crowd, but no where near the fire marshall's capacity!

In 2012 IWU was in both FF's, so I stayed home to be able to better follow both teams.  The men lost in the semis; I still am kicking myself for not heading over to Holland (only about three hours away) afterwards to watch the Titan women win their first (and so far only) national title the next day.

The line forms to the right to join in. :) I went to the semifinals of Scranton's 1976 championship, but not the final.
Can't remember why but probably family-related.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: ronk on March 14, 2016, 06:55:56 PM

The line forms to the right to join in. :) I went to the semifinals of Scranton's 1976 championship, but not the final.

OMG, YOUR team was in the final and you didn't go?! :o  I missed the final in 2014, but my team had lost in the semis, and it was such a gorgeous day that I went bike-riding with my long-suffering wife (NOT a BB fan, but a good sport) instead.  From all reports, I missed one of the best finals ever!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - Amherst fans have to split their allegiances with the women's team... that will affect their turn out.

Secondly, Benedictine fans can fly direct from Chicago to Roanoke... that actually may encourage many of them to come.

CNU will travel okay probably being it is across the state and their first one.

Wildcard is the St. Thomas fans. They certainly know the route thanks to two other appearances and their football team's success... but who knows if they travel in high numbers.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 14, 2016, 07:16:39 PM
FYI - Amherst fans have to split their allegiances with the women's team... that will affect their turn out.

Secondly, Benedictine fans can fly direct from Chicago to Roanoke... that actually may encourage many of them to come.

Wildcard is the St. Thomas fans. They certainly know the route thanks to two other appearances and their football team's success... but who knows if they travel in high numbers.

Technically all the Amherst fans can come down for Friday then, if the men lose, the whole group can drive the 5.5 hours up to Capital Saturday morning for the women's game.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

David Collinge

At first I thought you meant a line was forming for a chance to kick Mr. Ypsi. But, sadly, no. Right? No?

ronk

Quote from: David Collinge on March 14, 2016, 10:47:01 PM

At first I thought you meant a line was forming for a chance to kick Mr. Ypsi. But, sadly, no. Right? No?

That's what I meant; just in case his knees and/or quads weren't flexible for him to do it himself adequately-it could be a very long line. :)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: ronk on March 14, 2016, 10:51:43 PM
Quote from: David Collinge on March 14, 2016, 10:47:01 PM

That's what I meant; just in case his knees and/or quads weren't flexible for him to do it himself adequately-it could be a very long line. :)

Watch out guys, or I'm turning you in for 'elder abuse'. ::)

As I said, "I'm still kicking myself' - on the nights I can't do it, my Coon Hound is happy to comply. ;D  We have a king sized bed, but she thinks she is an empress.

Gregory Sager

A fitting breed of dog for an Illinois Wesleyan basketball fan, Chuck, even though yours is of the wrong gender.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 15, 2016, 12:07:58 AM
A fitting breed of dog for an Illinois Wesleyan basketball fan, Chuck, even though yours is of the wrong gender.

Somehow I never even made the connection.  If she wasn't already at least three when we adopted her and definitely was 'Shelby', I shoulda called her Korey!

Not sure about the spelling, but verbally both Shelby and Korey are gender-neutral. ;)

Gregory Sager

"Verbally both Shelby and Korey are gender-neutral"? Who cares? She's a dog, Chuck. If you're the one who feeds her, she'll come to you when you call her even if you name her "Penis". ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

I'm assuming a lot of students can't afford to fly. I'm not sure what the student participation is either. When is Spring break for all the schools?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 15, 2016, 09:17:17 AM

I'm assuming a lot of students can't afford to fly. I'm not sure what the student participation is either. When is Spring break for all the schools?

It's only 10.5 hours driving from Benedictine.  That's nothing for a college road trip.  I drove 6 hours each way on the same day for a basketball game one time (Syracuse-UConn) - and it was just regular season for a school I didn't attend.

Sixteen hours from St. Thomas might be difficult.

I just looked at the maps for all four schools - Amherst is only 50 miles closer to Salem than Benedictine is.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

augie77

http://www.qconline.com/sports/college_sports/augie-hoops-seniors-deserved-more-fitting-finish/article_3f88da73-dbdd-5f28-9004-affcfb11f186.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

A nice article about the Augustana seniors who represented their school very well, both on and off the court for the last four years.  Sadly for them, they came up just short of a return trip to Salem.

Greek Tragedy

It's about 15 hrs from Stevens Point, but we've always traveled well...especially for Final Fours.  ;D

Traditionally, the fan buses would leave Thursday evening and get to Salem around 3 pm. Check into the hotel and head to the 5 pm game.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!