BB: Regional (Mid-East) Terre Haute '08, Adrian '09, Marietta '10, '11

Started by Ralph Turner, May 11, 2008, 11:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forheavendial4999

Quote from: ettanut4life on May 22, 2011, 03:07:00 PM
going to be quite interesting to see how Heidelberg will do next year with the departure of 13 seniors. including 6 starting position players.

The 64,000 dollar question. I look at this like I looked at W&J coming into this year...just losing so much, you wonder how they can possibly avoid slipping.

macdade77

I think I read somewhere that Wabash gave Salisbury all they wanted in their South regional contest. I really believe that Marietta is a solid favorite to win it all in Appleton. I sincerely believe that there are more good teams in the Mideast region than any other in the country. Am I being somewhat parochial here or are there others who share the same belief????

forheavendial4999

Quote from: macdade77 on May 22, 2011, 09:37:04 PM
I think I read somewhere that Wabash gave Salisbury all they wanted in their South regional contest. I really believe that Marietta is a solid favorite to win it all in Appleton. I sincerely believe that there are more good teams in the Mideast region than any other in the country. Am I being somewhat parochial here or are there others who share the same belief????

I think you are being somewhat parochial. I thought this was a down year for the Mideast. Adrian was pretty good but never had enough offense. Marietta and Heidelberg are obviously very good and Berg probably could have won a few other regionals.

But no one in the NCAC or PAC seemed like much. Franklin was decent but there have been better teams come out of Indiana. And the OAC was a distinct 2 team league.

The Mid-Atlantic and the Midwest compare pretty well. Mideast is much better than some other regions though, year in and year out.

ettanut4life

Agree on summary of MidEast. Last year with Etta, Heidelberg and Wooster (all in top 10), the region was by far the hardest in the country. This year, it was understood it would be Berg and Etta in finalsn unless Partyka or Domschot threw a gem if they had faced them.with that being said, I still believe Berg would win or be a favorite in most regions, would have been interesting to see how they would have faired had the NCAA shipped them to the Central or South (with shenandoah and CNU apparently not being what everybody thought they were)

motorman

Quote from: macdade77 on May 22, 2011, 09:37:04 PM

I don't think you are being as parochial as everyone else. Two Mideast teams were shipped to other regions and made solid showings. Thomas More in the Central and Wabash, who knocked out #2 Christopher Newport in the south. If they were kept in the Mideast it would have been much more difficult than Penn State Altoona and Frostburg turned out to be.

ettanut4life

The pitching was the big downer for the other MidEast teams other than adrian, etta and berg. case, franklin and altoona didn't seem to have much depth in quality arms. Frostburg is hard to figure on whether they had good depth or not, their ace ( greg ross) was one heck of a pitcher. He was impressive with as good of stuff as anybody I'd seen all year. Great matchup to see him go heads up against Gasser. Hopefully the Etta starters will be able to continue this magical season their having with their eye-popping numbers and shut down the competition in Appleton

Dr. Acula

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on May 22, 2011, 07:18:26 PM
Quote from: ettanut4life on May 22, 2011, 03:07:00 PM
going to be quite interesting to see how Heidelberg will do next year with the departure of 13 seniors. including 6 starting position players.

The 64,000 dollar question. I look at this like I looked at W&J coming into this year...just losing so much, you wonder how they can possibly avoid slipping.

They're going to have so many new guys in the lineup it's going to be very interesting.  Lizcano being back helps.  I think their pitching with Holt, Nino, Thomas and O'Driscoll will be very good again.  No Andy Lowe is going to be the gaping hole there.

EttaFan1

To me this year's Mid-East Region was a two horse race.  The only other team who might have had a shot in this tournament was Adrian had they had some things go a different way.  (I would have loved to see Partyka vs. Heidelberg).  

The two OAC teams are good at the plate and they are good on the mound, as each have at least 4 guys who are quality starters, possibly even #1 guys on most any other team.   The biggest differences between Marietta, 'Berg and the rest of the Mideast field was their team speed, their defensive abilities, and their avoidance of dumb mistakes.  

Speed was a huge issue.  The position players for Marietta and 'Berg are able to get to balls that many other teams couldn't.  The speed also came into play on the base paths.  

You may not see two better defensive infields than what Marietta and Berg put on the field.  Folks, the Gregorich, Saunders, Becker, Leavens combo and the Brechun, Lash, Keen, Andercjzak (spelled incorrectly sorry) are seriously good.  These guys made play after play after play all weekend and all year.  They make the "routine plays" with ease.  They make tough plays look routine, and they make  spectacular plays to rob base hits from their opponents.   Both teams turned double play  after double play to get out of  innings.  

The outfileds for both were able to track down ball after ball after ball.   They made plays the other teams just weren't able to  make.

And most importantly they rarely make mistakes to beat themselves.   Bad throws and bad hops happen.  But I saw enough mental blunders to make me scratch my head.  

I honestly think if 'Berg went to a different region they would be joining Marietta in Appleton this weekend.  

forheavendial4999

Quote from: ettanut4life on May 22, 2011, 11:02:02 PM
The pitching was the big downer for the other MidEast teams other than adrian, etta and berg. case, franklin and altoona didn't seem to have much depth in quality arms. Frostburg is hard to figure on whether they had good depth or not, their ace ( greg ross) was one heck of a pitcher. He was impressive with as good of stuff as anybody I'd seen all year. Great matchup to see him go heads up against Gasser. Hopefully the Etta starters will be able to continue this magical season their having with their eye-popping numbers and shut down the competition in Appleton

Watched the video feed on the Frostburg game...Ross was excellent. Defense not so much for Frostburg.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: EttaFan1 on May 23, 2011, 08:39:20 AM
To me this year's Mid-East Region was a two horse race.  The only other team who might have had a shot in this tournament was Adrian had they had some things go a different way.  (I would have loved to see Partyka vs. Heidelberg).  

The two OAC teams are good at the plate and they are good on the mound, as each have at least 4 guys who are quality starters, possibly even #1 guys on most any other team.   The biggest differences between Marietta, 'Berg and the rest of the Mideast field was their team speed, their defensive abilities, and their avoidance of dumb mistakes.  

Speed was a huge issue.  The position players for Marietta and 'Berg are able to get to balls that many other teams couldn't.  The speed also came into play on the base paths.  

You may not see two better defensive infields than what Marietta and Berg put on the field.  Folks, the Gregorich, Saunders, Becker, Leavens combo and the Brechun, Lash, Keen, Andercjzak (spelled incorrectly sorry) are seriously good.  These guys made play after play after play all weekend and all year.  They make the "routine plays" with ease.  They make tough plays look routine, and they make  spectacular plays to rob base hits from their opponents.   Both teams turned double play  after double play to get out of  innings.  

The outfileds for both were able to track down ball after ball after ball.   They made plays the other teams just weren't able to  make.

And most importantly they rarely make mistakes to beat themselves.   Bad throws and bad hops happen.  But I saw enough mental blunders to make me scratch my head.  

I honestly think if 'Berg went to a different region they would be joining Marietta in Appleton this weekend.  

Which supports my preference to distribute the Pool C bids to "out-of-region" brackets to the greatest extent possible?

I think that that would make the "regional" tourney more "national"!

motorman

Which supports my preference to distribute the Pool C bids to "out-of-region" brackets to the greatest extent possible?

I think that that would make the "regional" tourney more "national"!
[/quote]

I agree Ralph, but obviously the NCAA wants as broad a representation at the World Series as possible, thus they do not want two schools from the same league there. Two schools from the same region seems to be different for some reason. Why they would want to keep a top five ranked team from making the Series just because there is another top five team in their league is beyond me.