NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Went to watch the Portland Phoenix tonight (USL League 2) just because they are close by and it's a good level. Last home game playing the Bolts. I thought I recognized one of the Bolts players as Tufts' van Brewer playing left side forward in a 4-3-3. He has looked good so far playing LF and has been doing a good job tracking back as well. Think he will be one of the NESCAC PoY contenders. Currently 1-1 just before half.

blooter442

And the Bolts keeper is Tufts' Will Harned. Made one really good save to tip a shot onto the post at 1-1. I am sure there are more than just those two who are D3 players but those are the ones I've caught.

blooter442

Wow. 1-1 at half, Bolts score with about 30 left on a curler from way out. Long bomb but a bad effort by the Phoenix keeper. Then Portland gets 2 in 2 to go 3-2 up before van Brewer ties it up at 3-3 (a header!) with about 15 left. Broken play off a restart but he definitely saw the humor in that. Crazy game and still 10 left.

Can't fault Harned for any of the goals. He looks ready to step in at No. 1 for the Jumbos this year.

blooter442

Phoenix win it 4-3 in the last few minutes on a breakaway. Bolts have an equalizer cleared off the line straight after before Phoenix hit the post at the other end. Bolts were upset with alleged offside on the first goal which may have been a legitimate gripe based on what I saw and the winner was disputed because of a hand in the buildup. Didn't see that. Good game by both sides. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

OldNed

New England Soccer Journal (subscription required) has a nice article about Ben Manoogian going overseas to Sweden on a 3 month deal to pursue a professional career.  Good luck to him on that.

https://www.nesoccerjournal.com/ben-manoogian-heads-to-sweden-after-boston-city-fc-stint/

amh63

Amherst's season is fast approaching.  There is movement in the assistant coaches recently.  One assist coach has joined the Yale staff.  A former Amherst assistant returns after a stint at Coe College in the HC position.  Particulars are on the Amherst's athletic page.  To date no 2019 rosters posted...in any Fall sports.

Ommadawn

Quote from: amh63 on July 22, 2019, 10:57:59 AMA former Amherst assistant returns after a stint at Coe College in the HC position.

That whole Coe College situation always seemed a bit bizarre, with Sonny Travis leaving Emory to become Coe's AD and Matt Travis becoming Coe's HC.  Apparently, the elder Travis has succeeded his son as HC at Coe after last year's challenging 0-14-1 season.

oldonionbag

Tufts has posted its schedule:  https://gotuftsjumbos.com/sports/msoc/2019-20/schedule

Brandeis (which has become something of an out of conference rivalry), Wheaton, and Babson = a pretty solid non-conference schedule on paper. A bit surprised to see Endicott off the list as I feel like they've played them every year for the past 6-7 seasons (I could be misremembering though).

Ommadawn

Quote from: oldonionbag on August 06, 2019, 11:11:52 AM
A bit surprised to see Endicott off the list as I feel like they've played them every year for the past 6-7 seasons (I could be misremembering though).

In the past decade, it looks like Tufts played Endicott in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, and 2016.  Perhaps they'll get together again in 2020.

Timmy Two Wheels

How's everybody doing! Timmy Two Wheels checking in just in time for the fresh season. Always loved D3 soccer and living about close to Boston makes it easy to pop over to watch the various teams around here so I figured I'd hop on to give my two cents on everything NESCAC.

I've always loved the dynamic nature of the league. It's unlike a lot of others in that pretty much anybody except Trinity can win it which, in my opinion, makes it more interesting to follow than most other leagues out there.

Can't wait to get involved in the banter!

d4_Pace

d4_Pace

Mr. Right its got to be about time for your preseason predictions... I've got mine ready to go. And just a warning, Tufts isn't taking the top spot

PaulNewman

1970s, is the Colby roster correct???  Only FIVE upperclassmen to go with a slew of frosh?  I was wondering how Colby would fare coming off their amazing postseason run.

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: PaulNewman on August 30, 2019, 01:02:46 PM
1970s, is the Colby roster correct???  Only FIVE upperclassmen to go with a slew of frosh?  I was wondering how Colby would fare coming off their amazing postseason run.

The roster posted as of today (8/30/19) consists of the remaining/non-graduating players from the 2018-19 roster (all from the Classes of 2020-2022).  This year's team just reported three days ago (NESCAC rules), and the full 2019-20 roster (including new freshmen members of the Class of 2023) won't be posted until next week at the earliest.  I believe that there will be 8-10 frosh in addition to the current list.  I believe twelve seniors, including 8 or 9 starters, graduated from last year's team.  Hopefully, Colby is entering a new phase of reload rather than rebuild, but we will see.