BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECSUalum

Osh,

Update on Scott Chiasson:

Monday, USA Today reported he was released by the Orioles.

OshDude

Quote from: ECSUalum on March 24, 2009, 01:51:06 PM
Osh,

Bummer ... thanks for the update. At least he had good numbers. I'm gonna wait until after teams break camp before I cross anyone off. Never know, Chiasson could get picked up.

RSSmith

Quote from: szlongball on March 17, 2009, 11:52:40 AM
Jordan Zimmermann's line from yesterday
4 IP 2 hits O runs 0 bb 6 ks and the win in relief.  Still has an Era OF 0.00

This morning's Washington Post reports that Zimmerman will likely be sent to AAA for the start of the season and be called up in mid-April when the Nats need a 5th starter.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

ECSUalum

Zimmerman seems to have the talent to become another great MLB pitcher, like T Mulholland or J Washburn.

Best of luck to Jordan in getting to the big show and staying healthy

ECSUalum

Quote from: OshDude on March 25, 2009, 09:33:32 AM
Quote from: ECSUalum on March 24, 2009, 01:51:06 PM
Osh,

Bummer ... thanks for the update. At least he had good numbers. I'm gonna wait until after teams break camp before I cross anyone off. Never know, Chiasson could get picked up.

Osh,

Good point.  I think I also read Scott may go back to Mexican League.  However, I think his age is now becoming a factor in how Major/Minor League Baseball looks at him

RSSmith

Jordan Zimmermann yesterday:  5 IP, 0 runs, 1 hit, 8 Ks against Astros AAA

dgilblair

Quote from: RSSmith on March 27, 2009, 06:49:07 AM
Jordan Zimmermann yesterday:  5 IP, 0 runs, 1 hit, 8 Ks against Astros AAA

I can't see how he stays in AAA for very long.  I thought he would make the big club to start the season the why he has been pitching and with the job he did last year.  The Nats are that deep with pitching?

BigPoppa

By starting Zimmerman in AAA for a month, the Nats do not have to start his clock towards years of service in MLB for future contracts. Rays did the same with Evan Longoria last year. It allows them to keep him in their system for an extra season before he can bolt via free agency. Clearly, they think very highly of him.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 27, 2009, 11:41:22 AM
By starting Zimmerman in AAA for a month, the Nats do not have to start his clock towards years of service in MLB for future contracts. Rays did the same with Evan Longoria last year. It allows them to keep him in their system for an extra season before he can bolt via free agency. Clearly, they think very highly of him.

Big Poppa beat me to this.  Had the Nationals been in the playoff race, you can be assured that Zimmermann would have some MLB experience.  I remember when Andrew Jones came up.  He was brought up just before the deadline to be able to play in the playoffs as the Braves did not want his bat to be missing from their line-up.

dgilblair

That makes more sense to me now.....but since they think highly of him, and the staff they have, why not go with him.  Maybe it's part of their "plan" to save a year but didn't Longoria stay with Tampa, and to save a year for what? To let him pitch in the minors and continue to get minor leaguers out , I don't see it.  Clearly he has shown he can get guys out and the Nats stink (59-102 last year), if he does his job and they think so highly of him they can sign him to a contract at the end of the year? Or do you think he needs another year or part of a year to be effective in the bigs?  He sure seems to do well at every stop along the way, why not give him a shot?   

RSSmith

Quote from: DGilblair on March 27, 2009, 06:18:18 PM

That makes more sense to me now.....but since they think highly of him, and the staff they have, why not go with him.  Maybe it's part of their "plan" to save a year but didn't Longoria stay with Tampa, and to save a year for what? To let him pitch in the minors and continue to get minor leaguers out , I don't see it.  Clearly he has shown he can get guys out and the Nats stink (59-102 last year), if he does his job and they think so highly of him they can sign him to a contract at the end of the year? Or do you think he needs another year or part of a year to be effective in the bigs?  He sure seems to do well at every stop along the way, why not give him a shot?  

With their schedule, the Nats won't need a fifth starter until April 19.  Look for him to be called up then.

infielddad

I wonder if this is the right approach in the long run.
You are right that it does not start the clock in terms of years of service.
But, the player knows how he is being treated.
This is when they really learn this is a business not a game and the ownership has all the tools...until you approach arbitration.
If Zimmerman turns out to be a major talent, I will bet the Nats regret this move.  It will cost them in arbitration or to sign him and avoid arbitration.
For one to two starts and the asserted protection, the Nats expose themselves and show that a few $$$$ is far more important than winning and looking at the longer term with the players in their system.
The Pirates have a very good history of making similar decisions...with similar results.

RSSmith

Quote from: RSSmith on March 27, 2009, 09:45:57 PM

With their schedule, the Nats won't need a fifth starter until April 19.  Look for him to be called up then.

Confirmed in this morning's Washington Post,  Zimmermann is the Nats' fifth starter, will begin the season in AAA and will be called up to start on April 19 against the Marlins.

OshDude

If anyone cares Oshkosh's Jack Taschner was traded to the Phillies for Ronny Paulino, which means Moorhead's Chris Coste won the backup catcher gig in Philly.

Paulino was then traded to the Marlins for what it's worth.

ECSUalum

Quote from: RSSmith on March 29, 2009, 08:39:10 AM
Quote from: RSSmith on March 27, 2009, 09:45:57 PM

Confirmed in this morning's Washington Post,  Zimmermann is the Nats' fifth starter, will begin the season in AAA and will be called up to start on April 19 against the Marlins.

Best of luck to Jordan!!  I will now be rooting for him and the Nationals once he arrives ;D