MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusader_nation

A surreal and unfortunate ending to the NCC vs. Wheaton game. The injury to Aiden Chang was the worst I've ever seen in person. I was sitting behind the scorer's table and had a disturbingly clear view of the injury. The entire gym seemed to be rattled by what happened. It was silent for a long time while the training staff and medical personnel worked on him, waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Chang was in excruciating pain. Fortunately his parents were at his side as he was being worked on.

Players on both teams were visibly shaken by the injury. Several NCC players were in tears.

Credit to the athletic department at Wheaton and both coaching staffs for doing their best to take care of Chang. It seemed like it took forever for the ambulance to arrive. Players on both sides showed great sportsmanship and character tonight.

Very rough way to end a highly competitive game.

Thoughts and prayers for Aiden Chang and his family tonight. That's a terrible way to end your career. Hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

Titan Q

Quote from: crusader_nation on December 15, 2018, 10:55:08 PM
A surreal and unfortunate ending to the NCC vs. Wheaton game. The injury to Aiden Chang was the worst I've ever seen in person. I was sitting behind the scorer's table and had a disturbingly clear view of the injury. The entire gym seemed to be rattled by what happened. It was silent for a long time while the training staff and medical personnel worked on him, waiting for the ambulance to arrive. Chang was in excruciating pain. Fortunately his parents were at his side as he was being worked on.

Players on both teams were visibly shaken by the injury. Several NCC players were in tears.

Credit to the athletic department at Wheaton and both coaching staffs for doing their best to take care of Chang. It seemed like it took forever for the ambulance to arrive. Players on both sides showed great sportsmanship and character tonight.

Very rough way to end a highly competitive game.

Thoughts and prayers for Aiden Chang and his family tonight. That's a terrible way to end your career. Hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

Ugh.  When the tweets starting coming in it was obvious the injury was awful.

Thoughts and prayers with Aiden.

Gregory Sager

The final at the Griz, by the way, was Augustana 76, Millikin 42. Augie had a 37-point lead with eight and a half minutes to go. Grey Giovanine did his bit to hold the score down, as fifteen Augie players saw the floor and eleven of them saw double-digit minutes. Weirdly, the only Augie player to scored in double figures was Chrishawn Orange with 14, and not a single Augie player had more than four rebounds, as Millikin actually won the rebounding battle, 36-31. But when you shoot 12-47 (26%) from the field, turn the ball over 29 times, and get smoked that badly on your home floor, a five-point rebounding edge must seem like a pretty hollow victory.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

I think that NCC SID Clark Teuscher handled this the right way in the gamer that's now up on the NCC men's basketball page. He didn't mention the injury or the let's-get-this-over-with-because-it's-no-longer-important manner with which the two teams mutually ended the game at King, but he ran a picture of Aiden Chang atop the gamer with no further comment. That was a tactful gesture on Clark's part.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

4samuy

Thoughts and Prayers for Aiden and his family.

AndOne

In the blink of an eye in Wheaton tonight an extremely hard fought basketball game between North Central and Wheaton suddenly meant little or nothing due to a gruesome injury sustained by NCC's Aiden Chang. The magnitude of the injury was such that a wave of shock, revulsion, and concern almost immediately swept over the entire crowd. Many looked away, buried their heads in their hands, and wept. Fans collective anguish was perceptible. The NCC and Wheaton training staffs gave immediate and heroic aid.
I hate to think what might have happened without their assistance. Additionally, by God's grace, a doctor was present. Whether or not this was orthopedic surgeon and Wheaton team physician Dr. David Watt, I'm not sure. I did learn that this physician (probably with a team of assistants) is preforming surgery tonight—a surgery that is likely still ongoing at this hour because the grotesque ankle dislocation and possible fracture, visible to all, was only one of what I understand were 3 injuries that Aiden actually sustained.

The Wheaton basketball players and staff could not possibly have been more understanding, sympathetic, and comforting. The NCC players were sitting on the court, south free throw line extended right. Many had their faces buried in their hands. Some were in tears. Seeing this, the Wheaton players/staff went to their side. I heard Aston Francis say "we want to pray with you guys."
Just what the doctor ordered at that moment. Many of the NCC players then seemed at least a bit less frightfully shaken. They knew their concern was shared. They weren't alone.

The Wheaton fans were additionally concerned and respectful. No snickering or anything of the sort. The Wheaton cheerleaders appeared to be saying a prayer. Even the Wheaton Cheering Section, in full voice moments prior to the injury, sat respectfully quiet with looks of concern evident on their faces.

Class everywhere throughout King Arena. Combined NCC and Wheaton thoughts, concerns, and energies aimed in Aiden's direction. All seemingly saying "We're with you. We feel your pain. Be strong. Get well."

robertgoulet

Per Chang's Twitter, he's had successful surgery to repair torn ligaments, a dislocated ankle and a fractured fibula.
You win! You always do!

Augie6

Quote from: robertgoulet on December 16, 2018, 01:01:20 PM
Per Chang's Twitter, he's had successful surgery to repair torn ligaments, a dislocated ankle and a fractured fibula.

Thanks for that update RG.  Glad to hear the surgery was successful.  My prayers are with Aiden for a full recovery and as quick as can be expected, given the nature of his injury. 
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

Titan Q

Quote from: robertgoulet on December 16, 2018, 01:01:20 PM

@AirChang11
I want to express my deepest appreciation to everyone for their support and kind words. Wheaton College and Athletic Department, thank you for your care, prayers and thoughtful words. I had successful surgery to repair torn ligaments, a dislocated ankle and a fractured fibula.

AndOne

Ya. I knew from the hospital when I got home last night that the obvious ankle injury was only one of 3 injuries that Aiden actually suffered, but I didn't want to get too specific.

I hope all the Wheaton posters and other fans, especially those who were at the game last night, read what I posted late last night. It's important that all the Thunder community know how comforting and sustaining to Aiden that their thoughts, prayers, and actions were.

The question still remains why it took the Wheaton Fire Dept ambulance 30 minutes to get to the Wheaton gym while Aiden lay on the floor in agony. If an ambulance was out on another call, that serves as a partial explanation. But the fact is the WFD has at least 3 ambulances. If all of them were out when the call came in, then they call a neighboring mutual-aid department. All the suburbs have such arrangements in place with other area communities. The fact is that an ambulance from Glen Ellyn, Winfield, or probably Carol Stream could have gotten there before Wheaton did. Also very disconcerting is the fact that one of the Wheaton students (I believe a member of the WC Women's team) who was holding the door, closest to where they had taken Aiden, open and helping wave/signal to the ambulance crew that was where they needed to enter once they got there, told me she heard the ambulance crew say they didn't know where the gym was once they got to the campus. Hard to comprehend that.   

So thankful for the doctor being there, and for the tremendous level of aid provided by the members of the Thunder and Cardinal training staffs while they waited for the paramedics and transport to arrive.

thunder38

Quote from: AndOne on December 16, 2018, 04:13:21 PM

The question still remains why it took the Wheaton Fire Dept ambulance 30 minutes to get to the Wheaton gym while Aiden lay on the floor in agony. If an ambulance was out on another call, that serves as a partial explanation. But the fact is the WFD has at least 3 ambulances. If all of them were out when the call came in, then they call a neighboring mutual-aid department. All the suburbs have such arrangements in place with other area communities. The fact is that an ambulance from Glen Ellyn, Winfield, or probably Carol Stream could have gotten there before Wheaton did. Also very disconcerting is the fact that one of the Wheaton students (I believe a member of the WC Women's team) who was holding the door, closest to where they had taken Aiden, open and helping wave/signal to the ambulance crew that was where they needed to enter once they got there, told me she heard the ambulance crew say they didn't know where the gym was once they got to the campus. Hard to comprehend that.   

So thankful for the doctor being there, and for the tremendous level of aid provided by the members of the Thunder and Cardinal training staffs while they waited for the paramedics and transport to arrive.

This seemed to be a question on a lot of minds last night because it did take around half an hour to get an ambulance there. The call was made immediately and the training staff and public safety chief Bob Norris immediately went to work on clearing a path for the medical personnel from both doors on that end of that end of the gym but then were left waiting for the response.

In asking around last night about the delay, I was told that when the call was made, it came just minutes after Wheaton had sent out responses for a suicide and an overdose. I can't speak to what communication might have been had between them and other departments that could have provided assistance in the area but the ambulance that finally showed up came directly from responding to the suicide.
You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains.

AndOne

Aiden Chang received a visit from all of his teammates late this morning.
And, I'm happy to report that he was released from the hospital to home care later this afternoon.
Too early for any further prognosis.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: AndOne on December 16, 2018, 09:59:30 PM
Quote from: AndOne on December 16, 2018, 09:41:53 PM
Aiden Chang received a visit from all of his teammates late this morning.
And, I'm happy to report that he was released from the hospital to home care later this afternoon.
Too early for any further prognosis.

So within a few minutes of posting the seemingly happy above news, I get dinged twice.
There is just no explanation for some things.
Maybe these mindless a**holes are the ones who need the prayers. 🤯

You worry about your karma too much. :)

Remember, people could read something of yours from at any point or any place on these boards and + or - you. It didn't have to do anything with what your latest post was whatsoever.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It might be after we aired, but still worth promoting ... watch the show On Demand or listen to the podcast!

The first semester is coming to a close. With it comes an opportunity to look back and evaluate what we've seen throughout Division III basketball so far. Did we get any early Christmas gifts? Or did some teams get some coal?

This is also the time of the year one starts to look around to see if any teams are flying a little under the radar. Off to good starts that maybe haven't been noticed or a big win or two here and there have people scratching their heads.

Sunday on Hoopsville, we not only shined a light on some programs off the radar, but also start pondered the opening, nearly, six weeks of the season. Be sure to tune in as we take the new "Buy or Sell" up a few notches.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's episode is available to watch, in two parts, On Demand in the video player(s) above. You can also listen to the show, in it's entirety, via the audio-only podcast. You can find it here: http://bit.ly/2rFVWsQ

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Charlie Mason, New England men's coach
- Kate Vlahakis, Manhattanville women's coach
- Alex Richey, Oglethorpe women's coach
- Ryan Scott, Around the Nation Columnist, & Bob Quillman, DIII basketball aficionado ("Buy or Sell")

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AndOne

Looks like between now and the end of the year all the CCIW members will play non-conference teams exclusively prior to resumption of conference play on 1/2/19. 2 of NCC's 4 remaining non-con games will take place in Las Vegas where they will be participating in the D3Hoops.com Classic.