MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Congrats to North Central Head Assistant Coach Mitch Raridon, and his beautiful bride Brianna, on the birth of their first child. Houston Todd Raridon arrived at 3:37 this afternoon.   :)

bbfan44

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 25, 2016, 12:50:24 AM
Quote from: AndOne on March 25, 2016, 12:37:16 AM
Wonder if Carroll will choose to play their Sat games at 2:00 and 4:00 or 5:00 and 7:00. If they go with the earlier options, teams like Wesleyan and Millikin are going to have to leave very early as many coaches like to arrive at the home team gym 60-90 minutes prior to game time. For instance, bus time from Decatur to Waukesha is about 4 1/2 hours. Getting to Waukesha/Carroll at even 1:00 would mean an 8:30 AM departure. And that doesn't even take into account a stop for lunch. The later option would mean the Big Blue doesn't get home until sometime around 2 AM.

Save the CCIW.  Ditch both Carroll and Millikin; adopt Benedictine instead.

I'd vote for that !

(modified by GS for formatting)

bbfan44

A few weeks back there was quite a bit of discussion regarding Juwan Henry shooting a three at the end of the Carthage game while NPU was way ahead (it would have given him 50 points as you may recall).  Apparently Carthage was quite upset, enough so that the coach held it against Henry when it came time to vote for the All Conference team.

Did anyone see a similar shot last night at the end of the Oregon-Duke game?  Oregon had the game in hand and with 9 seconds to go a player (Brooks) shot and made a 3 pointer.  Reportedly, Coach K told the player later that he was "too good to show off like that at the end".  The player reportedly agreed and said that he should have respected Duke more, and has learned a lesson. 

Grayson Allen of Duke reportedly said he didn't have a problem with it.

Radio guys this morning side with Allen, not Coach K.

Smitty Oom

I saw this as well. The thing is even though there was only 9 seconds left on the game clock, the shot clock was down to 1 or 2 seconds. So getting his shot off before the shot clock expired was just playing by the rules. I have no problem with it, especially given the shot clock situation. I thought I heard Coach K said that he did not tell Brooks anything about the shot, however you can see Brooks say he is sorry when they were walking through the line. I do not follow the CCIW too well so I cannot talk to the Carthage NPU game.

I will say that Mason III for Kansas shot a layup with 1 or 2 seconds left in regulation yesterday when everyone else was getting into line and celebrating. I had much more issue with this one (At least Duke was still in position to play defense last night). Kansas already was in the news this year for the dunk as time expired when the opposing team was not playing defense. I would have assumed that they would learn their lesson already. Just hand the ball to the ref and get on to the next game!

Augie6

Quote from: AndOne on March 24, 2016, 11:46:31 PM

Here is what I know Augie6. There is more than one poster on this board who knows more than you and I combined, who will tell you I have access to a pretty good amount of information to the point that I don't really need to pull things out of my a** or any other part.
A 2nd thing I know is that someone who knows sports like I think you do shouldn't have a hard time understanding that almost all kids think they are going to play when they commit to a school. The tendency is to think even if others are in front of me, I may not start right away but I'm good enough to get a good share of PT sooner rather than later. Also, that a heavily recruited kid may love things academically, and may love being a part of the athletic team, but is most likely going to be pretty highly disappointed if he hasn't played more than only sparingly by the end of his junior year. As a result, it's not difficult to believe a kid in that situation isn't necessarily going to be negative, but isn't exactly going to be the most outwardly enthusiastic booster of the program. I don't know, and I didn't say, that happened in this case, but if it did, it should not be surprising to anyone. And often, parents also have the same reaction.
Lastly, for several reasons, many kids aren't going to be crazy about the idea of attending the same school as an older sibling did. Enough on this I think.

I bolded the key point in your statement and why I take issue with your comment.  If you don't know, then don't make an assumption that you do, particularly when it comes to a point about a player you have never talked to about the subject.  Since you clearly don't know anything as it relates to the point you made about Michael Hoekstra, trying to defend it by saying you have to a pretty good amount of information about other things is weak, at best.  Let's not pretend that you haven't been called out repeatedly on this board for making similar types of comments.  I'm done with this topic.
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

AppletonRocks

Quote from: AndOne on March 25, 2016, 12:37:16 AM
Wonder if Carroll will choose to play their Sat games at 2:00 and 4:00 or 5:00 and 7:00. If they go with the earlier options, teams like Wesleyan and Millikin are going to have to leave very early as many coaches like to arrive at the home team gym 60-90 minutes prior to game time. For instance, bus time from Decatur to Waukesha is about 4 1/2 hours. Getting to Waukesha/Carroll at even 1:00 would mean an 8:30 AM departure. And that doesn't even take into account a stop for lunch. The later option would mean the Big Blue doesn't get home until sometime around 2 AM.

Whatever it takes to win the CCIW as I have suggested is likely.  :D
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

veterancciwfan

Regarding the reason Daniel Hoekstra chose IWU, maybe some of these facts may have come into play: His father went to IWU and played for Bridges. IWU's accounting program is outstanding. Don't know the percentage, but the % of IWU accounting grads who pass the CPA exam on the first attempt is very high. His home town is St. Anne. Ring a bell? Where a brother attends college is usually not a major reason for his sibling in selecting a college, unless they are twins in which case the school gives a tuition discount.  Each child is different and usually has different criteria for selecting a college.

izzy stradlin

Most CCIW athletes I've known aren't so short-sighted to make playing time the primary determinant in the utility they feel are receiving in their college experience. Basically nobody here is going to make a career out of playing a game.  A good portion of players know this and have longer-term goals to which different schools will do a better job of helping them achieve success over the next 50 years, rather than 4, and playing a sport is a bonus.

markerickson

Minnesota Golden Gopher Rachel Banham led the Big Ten in scoring, but the team failed to finish in the top four and was not selected to go to the NCAA tourney.  Banham earned Big Ten POY and was named first team All-American.  North Park Viking Juwan Henry got slighted big-time.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

Titan Q

Millikin recruits...

* Korbin Farmer, 6-7 F (Columbia H.S)
* Tyler Bond, 6-2 SG (Warrensburg-Latham H.S.)

http://www.prephoops.com/2016/03/korbin-farmer-tyler-bond-millikin/

Titan Q

@mcurry_30 
Proud to say that I will be continuing my academic and athletic career at Illinois Wesleyan University 🏀 #GoTitans

Ron Rose and the Titans have landed Miles Curry, a 6-5 wing from Kenwood Academy (transferred from Lincoln Park H.S.)  He played alongside three D1 recruits and helped lead Kenwood to the Chicago Public League title game.

Curry, who had a scholarship offer from D2 Regis, is a very athletic wing.  He is good off the dribble and can shoot it from the perimeter...also a very good perimeter defender. 

http://hpherald.com/2016/02/10/broncos-advance-to-second-round-of-city-playoffs/

http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2015/08/16/henricksen-ranking-nine-impactful-transfers-2015-2016/

http://illinois-spotlite.blogspot.com/2015/11/the-top-players-still-available-in-2016.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F160ZZ5SzA (junior year)

I believe Curry will be the first-ever Illinois Wesleyan player from the Chicago Public League.

Gregory Sager

Chris Martin (the EC assistant coach, not the CCIW commish) is one of five finalists in the running to fill the vacancy at head coach for Loras. No offense to the Elmhurst faithful, but I hope Chris gets it. He's a good guy, and it's always nice to see a CCIW alumnus land a head coaching job at the college level.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Naperick

Best of luck to Chris!  He would do well at Loras.

veterancciwfan

Buddy Sodemann, who got his coaching start at IWU, is/was the asst. head coach at Loras this year. Don't know if he is one of the 5 finalists. My guess is he is. His father Bill began the family basketball tradition as a long time HS coach in St. Louis area. All three sons are involved in college coaching. The Buddy Sodemann stint at IWU was the source of the St. Louis area talent Ron Rose has taken advantage of.