WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUAngola

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on March 06, 2019, 04:04:22 PM
Congrats to both Francesca Buchanan (Hope) and Brandi Dawson (Trine) on being named to the inaugural D3 Women's All-Star game to be played on March 16 at 5pm - just prior to the Women's D3 National Championship game!!!
Trine's Brandi Dawson and Hope's Francesca Buchanan both end their outstanding college basketball careers with very nice games yesterday in the D3 All Star game.  Dawson finished with 16 pts and Buchanan with 12 pts for Team Manning, but their squad lost to Team Strong 99-77.  More post season accolades for both as Dawson was voted 1st team D3hoops.com All American and Buchanan 4th team.  It was a privilege to watch both these gals these past 4 years, you represented your institutions and the MIAA very well!

Thomas More concludes their outstanding season by winning the D3 national championship over Bowdoin. Now they move on to NAIA division.

Looking forward to next season, it can't come soon enough.  Obviously Hope should be the prohibitive favorites in the MIAA with everyone back of note except for Buchanan.  Calvin should make a leap upwards as they were very young last season, Timmer is a great talent.  Albion will be a veteran squad again, and I think the surprise of the league next year could be Alma, they only lose one starter and will only get better.  Saint Mary's will also be a pesky team to play. 

Trine loses 3 starters in Dawson, Williams and Martin and key backup Duff, so it will be interesting to see what we look like next year.  We'll be very young, Katy Steers will be the only senior and returns at PG.  She will definitely be the vocal leader and is our defensive stalwart.  Shay Herbert returns at center, she will need to be counted on to be more of an offensive threat next year.  I think Tara Bieniewicz and Kayla Wildman will slide into the starting lineup after both had terrific freshman seasons as role players off the bench.  Both are skilled shooters.  If we want to go big Kelsy Taylor could be the 5th starter at center and then we'd slide Shay over to power forward.  We'd have 3 girls 6' or taller in the starting lineup which is crucial when trying to match up with Hope's height.  We also have several other gals who got didn't get much playing time as freshman last year, who could see more time on the court next year as there are minutes to be had.  The young gals will need a good off season of individual workouts to get a bit stronger.

sac

Hope has a commitment from Mattawan's Izzy Hoffman, looking forward to the Hope community giving her love and support.

Her video story appeared on Fox Sports MHSAA state finals broadcasts this weekend.  https://www.foxsports.com/detroit/story/earning-the-letter-winning-over-wilsons-video-011719

What a beautifully articulate and courageous young woman.  Keep the tissues close maybe.

TUAngola

Quote from: sac on March 18, 2019, 04:39:31 PM
Hope has a commitment from Mattawan's Izzy Hoffman, looking forward to the Hope community giving her love and support.

Her video story appeared on Fox Sports MHSAA state finals broadcasts this weekend.  https://www.foxsports.com/detroit/story/earning-the-letter-winning-over-wilsons-video-011719

What a beautifully articulate and courageous young woman.  Keep the tissues close maybe.

Thank you for the link to Izzy's story.  What an awesome young lady!

gordonmann

Wow, that is an awesome story.

Also wanted to say how much I enjoyed watching Frankie Buchanan interact with the Special Olympians. She has a heart of gold to go with that killer post move to her left.

sac

Flying Dutch Fan

Great choice Olivet!
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Jameswys

Quote from: sac on March 27, 2019, 04:27:33 PM
Olivet has named Brittany Berry their women's head coach.
https://www.olivetcomets.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/releases/20190327n9feqc

I'm very happy about this pick. I have heard good things about her from some of her Lax players and I hope she finds success as head coach in WBB. Now if only we  can get a staff IM basketball together next year...
Olivet '05

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

TUAngola

Olivet WBB has named 2019 Trine graduate and All-MIAA player Cassidy Williams to its coaching staff.  Fantastic addition to Brittany Berry's coaching staff.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxBKHgJngTS/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=13e6o8gujma5q

Jameswys

Sounds like a good hire to the staff. I'm glad for Brittany and happy to welcome Cassidy to the Olivet family.
Olivet '05

TUAngola

Coaching news at Trine University WBB, assistant Coach Craig Taylor has announced his "retirement" so he can enjoy his grandkids more and attend their athletic events.  He was a long time high school coach in Fort Wayne and joined the Thunder staff 5 years ago. 

The Thunder also announced the hiring of new WBB assistant Coach Brandi Dawson.  As all of you know Brandi is probably the most decorated WBB in Tri State/Trine history and graduated last year as a 1st team All American.  Congratulations to Brandi as she begins her Coaching career with Trine.

*Side note - now that Olivet has former Thunder grad Cassidy Williams and Trine has grad Brandi Dawson as Assistant Coaches, I can see a new rivalry heating up.  You know Cassidy will be able to impart a lot of knowledge in Olivet's game preparation on how to defend the Thunder.  Should make for some interesting games.  Can't wait.

Mr. Ypsi

An interesting summer 'down-season' question:  how good a team (men or women) could you put together of current head or assistant coaches?  (Feel free to think either in terms of current ages or in their prime.)

Jameswys

Olivet could field a pretty good co-ed squad. Hargraves, Berry, Cassidy Williams all from the MIAA and  Jeremiah Williams who started at Canisius. Not sure who the 5th would be though.
Olivet '05

sac

MHSAA girls basketball finals returning to MSU's Breslin Center.  Should the MSU women's basketball program make and have to host NCAA tournament games this year, the 2020 finals will move to Hope College.  March 18, 19 and 20.

After this season they will move to Western Michigan Univ. if MSU womens basketball gets to host NCAA tournament games. 

Dutchfan

Does anybody know what happened to Jenny Beckman? She isn't on Hope's roster.