MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy

Quote from: realist on January 03, 2013, 11:14:19 AM
Quote from: Adrian Bulldawg Alum on January 02, 2013, 11:51:52 PM
With the postings about non-conference records and opponents winning percentage, it brings me to 1 statement and 1 question.

I do agree with those of you who have said Adrian would have benefited more with a tougher schedule in the sense of their preparation for the MIAA schedule, especially with Calvin and Hope back-to-back, but...

...will this high ranking/undefeated record (assuming Adrian finishes, let's say, 10 and 4 and loses in the MIAA Finals) lead to a possible non-championship birth into the NCAA tournament?  I'm not presuming this birth because I seriously do not know.  I'm not new to the MIAA and the competition, but I'm fairly new to the ins and outs of Massey, getting into the tournament, etc.

Go Bulldogs tomorrow vs. Cavlin!  Hopefully there is a livestream.

Yes,  Calvin has been live streaming for years.  Calvin does not do use announcers for the video so you need to listen to regular broadcast.
Gets interesting with the tape delay.

The audio broadcast is fed delay-free into the video feed. I believe they started doing that last year.

hoopdreams

Fairly enlightening article pertaining to the line-up shake up in today's Sentinel.  Definitely does not sound like an injury had anything to do with the benching of an All-MIAA and preseason All-American.  + karma for breaking this 2 weeks ago???  Alas, probably more deductions......
2013 MIAA Pick em' Champion

oldknight

Quote from: hoopdreams on January 03, 2013, 11:41:59 AM
Fairly enlightening article pertaining to the line-up shake up in today's Sentinel.  Definitely does not sound like an injury had anything to do with the benching of an All-MIAA and preseason All-American.  + karma for breaking this 2 weeks ago???  Alas, probably more deductions......

I believe this is the link to the article you mention:
http://www.hollandsentinel.com/sports/x1665856945/Hope-mens-basketball-eager-to-tip-off-MIAA-play

And here's a gem from the article that demonstrates the author doesn't know the difference between "at-large" and the AQ.

The Flying Dutchmen will need an at-large berth to extend their run of consecutive postseason appearances to a school-record eight.

ziggy

Quote from: oldknight on January 03, 2013, 12:34:07 PM

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/sports/x1665856945/Hope-mens-basketball-eager-to-tip-off-MIAA-play

And here's a gem from the article that demonstrates the author doesn't know the difference between "at-large" and the AQ.

The Flying Dutchmen will need an at-large berth to extend their run of consecutive postseason appearances to a school-record eight.

Also, what is a 'three-repeat'? Is that 3x2, six in a row?

oldknight

Quote from: ziggy on January 03, 2013, 01:27:01 PM

I assume he is referring to the regular season conference championship. Calvin won the regular season in 2009-10 and Hope has won it the last two years.

Happy Calvin Guy

Quote from: oldknight on January 03, 2013, 01:32:40 PM

I assume he is referring to the regular season conference championship. Calvin won the regular season in 2009-10 and Hope has won it the last two years.

Easy, everyone.  Picking on the journalistic quality of the Sentinel is pretty much the message board equivalent of playing College of Faith in men's basketball.

sac

Even using the word three-peatTM in an article will probably get you a call from Pat Riley's attorney's.

Knight2Day

In the words of the immortal Bill Swerski's Superfans, he probably should have used the phrase "I predict a minimum 8-peat" . Hopefully I'm not the only one chuckling 

sac

Hmmm.  Well winning the conference AQ for a sixth straight year (which Hope could do) would be a three-repeat.  Maybe our writer is more clever than we think.  Trademark that puppy, I'll take mine on a coffee mug.

Happy Calvin Guy

Quote from: sac on January 03, 2013, 02:37:57 PM
Maybe our writer is more cleaver than we think. 

this whole thread is worthy of the cutting room floor

oldknight

Quote from: sac on January 03, 2013, 02:28:15 PM

Even using the word three-peatTM in an article will probably get you a call from Pat Riley's attorney's.

Pat Riley's attorneys can buzz off. Given the fact that board posters are using the term as part of comment or criticism (parody actually) they are protected under the trademark fair use doctrine.

No extra charge for the legal advice.

oldknight

Quote from: Happy Calvin Guy on January 03, 2013, 02:49:51 PM

Barbara Billingsley would tell you: "Beaver, put that down!"

ziggy

Yikes. Good thing Alan Babbitt isn't Alan Bobbitt.

KnightSlappy

Cut it out guys.