FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCF

Quote from: Knightstalker on May 10, 2013, 07:57:58 AM
Quote from: desertraider on May 08, 2013, 02:24:19 PM
Wow. The only thing that would have made this "good" news is if he had announced he was taking over the HC job at The United States Military Academy. However, he went out the way anyone would want to - on top and on his own terms. Congrats on a GREAT career and here's to VK - Roll Raiders!

You can't spell "VicKtory" without VK!!

Why take the Army job, you said it above, he wanted to go out on top, not with another loss to Navy.  ;)

Go Navy :D :D :D
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

hazzben

Quote from: NCF on May 10, 2013, 09:00:23 AM
Wow. The only thing that would have made this "good" news is if he had announced he was taking over the HC job at The United States Military Academy. However, he went out the way anyone would want to - on top and on his own terms. Congrats on a GREAT career and here's to VK - Roll Raiders!

Why take the Army job, you said it above, he wanted to go out on top, not with another loss to Navy.  ;)

Yep, Go Navy, Beat Army  ;D ;)

BrowardRaider

Off topic for the board, but in other Mount Union Athletic Department news, big Congratulations to Coach Hesse and the Baseball team on a hard fought OAC tournament championship, first since 1970. I'm sure the AD is quite pleased  ;)

jaypeter

Disappointing news out of New York is that Dieusel was among six or so players waived today.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: BrowardRaider on May 12, 2013, 12:39:44 PM
Off topic for the board, but in other Mount Union Athletic Department news, big Congratulations to Coach Hesse and the Baseball team on a hard fought OAC tournament championship, first since 1970. I'm sure the AD is quite pleased  ;)

It was a great year for the AD.  Swept the mens and womens All-Sports trophies, baseball and softball win the OAC for the first time in a while, Lax returns with pretty good opening campaigns, mens hoops makes a surprise run to the OAC finals.  Pretty darn good year in Alliance.

PurpleSuit

Quote from: jaypeter on May 12, 2013, 07:44:19 PM
Disappointing news out of New York is that Dieusel was among six or so players waived today.

Sucks for Diesel but he was probably the longest shot to make an NFL roster.  Hope somebody picks him up but if not bring that kid back to Alliance, would make a great addition to VK's defensive staff.

Desertraider

Quote from: hazzben on May 10, 2013, 01:03:07 PM

Not sure what's worse - Being Seamen, or being beat by them! Regardless - I have a question that I hope does not ruffle too many feathers. If VK rolls to a title in his first year (#12!!!) and Mount continues on their path of dominance - does it diminish LK as a coach or put VK in his class? I mean with player changes, and roster changes, etc..it falls to coaching and LK has been (rightly so) elevated to a Coaching God by continually adapting. We have long said that 'Mount doesn't always get the best players, but LK gets the most out of them'. Well with LK gone - if VK can do the same thing - maybe 'Mount gets the best players'? Just curious. I will now await my beating - cuz I am sure someone will take this to mean I am (gasp) questioning LK as a coach!? I AM NOT!!!
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Dr. Acula on May 13, 2013, 10:55:41 AM
Quote from: BrowardRaider on May 12, 2013, 12:39:44 PM

It was a great year for the AD.  Swept the mens and womens All-Sports trophies, baseball and softball win the OAC for the first time in a while, Lax returns with pretty good opening campaigns, mens hoops makes a surprise run to the OAC finals.  Pretty darn good year in Alliance.

I was looking at the final All-Sports standings and I couldn't help but notice Musky was last in both.  Then I looked closer and the Fish haven't finished better than 5th place in ANY sport mens or womens (19 teams) in 2 years.  It used to be you could pencil in the softball team easily for a top 3 finish at worst, but not recently.  38 seasons and none better than 5th?  Tough times in New Concord.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: desertraider on May 13, 2013, 06:15:55 PM

Not sure what's worse - Being Seamen, or being beat by them! Regardless - I have a question that I hope does not ruffle too many feathers. If VK rolls to a title in his first year (#12!!!) and Mount continues on their path of dominance - does it diminish LK as a coach or put VK in his class? I mean with player changes, and roster changes, etc..it falls to coaching and LK has been (rightly so) elevated to a Coaching God by continually adapting. We have long said that 'Mount doesn't always get the best players, but LK gets the most out of them'. Well with LK gone - if VK can do the same thing - maybe 'Mount gets the best players'? Just curious. I will now await my beating - cuz I am sure someone will take this to mean I am (gasp) questioning LK as a coach!? I AM NOT!!!

If VK gets #12 next year, no, it means little.  IF he carries on and gets #13-17..., then, yes, he is also in the pantheon (with no diminishment of LK).  IF he continues to take UMU thru at least round two for many years, then he is outstanding, but no LK.  IF UMU falls back to just very good, but not great, VK is human - not great, not bad.  IF UMU drops to mediocrity within a few years, he has failed.

Just my 2 cents.  (Probably worth less.)

Shark

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 13, 2013, 09:17:27 PM

If VK gets #12 next year, no, it means little.  IF he carries on and gets #13-17..., then, yes, he is also in the pantheon (with no diminishment of LK).  IF he continues to take UMU thru at least round two for many years, then he is outstanding, but no LK.  IF UMU falls back to just very good, but not great, VK is human - not great, not bad.  IF UMU drops to mediocrity within a few years, he has failed.

Pretty fair assessment

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

raiderpa

Congrats to Mount Union athletes, sweeping OAC All-Sports trophies.

Regarding VK, as long as dad is around as a sounding board/advisor, I think he will be fine.  The interesting thing, to me, will be to see if Mount continues the tradition of successful "in-game" adjustments that separated LK from the rest, and was so amazing.

The measure of VK will be three to five years down the road when the whole program is a reflection of him, not dad.  I have confidence that he will be very good. However, nobody is Larry Kehres, and it is terribly unfair to expect Vince, or anyone for that matter, to experience the same success, even if he has the DNA.

I just thankful that I have been able to see and experience the thrill of the ascendence of Mount Union football.

Go Raiders

PurpleSuit

I'd say #12 and 13, if in order, are basically LK's.  VK is going to have an all-american backfield dominating the offense and his typical defense for the next two years.  What happens in year three is going to be key.  Is Mount going to follow the UWW plan of dominance for a couple of years and then disappear  following a legendary coaches retirement or continue on with the dominance? 

VK had better get through at least round 2 every year, Mount can't be losing to those joke of an East teams

emma17

Interesting post by Desertraider to get this inevitable subject going.

An outsider risks ruffling feathers here but I'll tread respectfully.
I'd be absolutely shocked if VK has anywhere near the success LK had. But remember, the success LK had is Out of this World. More seasons coached than losses- for almost 3 decades?  11 championships. 92+% wins. VK can and may be great- but LK's numbers are beyond great.

Perhaps I put too much importance on the intangibles of a coach. Mt may not have always had the "best talent"- but come on, comparatively speaking LK brought in and then crafted highly talented players. He then made all the behind the scenes moves (and this is a long list of actions/relationships/ideas) and "on the stage" moves to mold a program and individual teams into real greatness. IMO it would be shocking to see another coach come in and even maintain this run.

Just one loss per season (which would be considered nearly great) puts Mt into a whole new playoff place.

I truly wish VK the best, but I simply believe LK was too special of a coach for any person to come close to replacing- even if LK is "around". 

Raider 68

Quote from: raiderpa on May 14, 2013, 07:31:46 AM
Congrats to Mount Union athletes, sweeping OAC All-Sports trophies.

Regarding VK, as long as dad is around as a sounding board/advisor, I think he will be fine.  The interesting thing, to me, will be to see if Mount continues the tradition of successful "in-game" adjustments that separated LK from the rest, and was so amazing.

The measure of VK will be three to five years down the road when the whole program is a reflection of him, not dad.  I have confidence that he will be very good. However, nobody is Larry Kehres, and it is terribly unfair to expect Vince, or anyone for that matter, to experience the same success, even if he has the DNA.

I just thankful that I have been able to see and experience the thrill of the ascendence of Mount Union football.

Go Raiders

Have to agree with Raiderpa. Coach V. Kehres will set his own course, but I expect it will be difficult to see the difference from Coach Kehres in the initial years 1-3. It will be the 4th year plus that his style and change start to emerge. Having been in the program he knows how to make the in-game adjustments, the question will be how does learn make those adjustments on the offensive side of the ball.

The Raiders will continue to bring in the talent based upon their history, but to really continue having talent, the program has to remain in the conversation and playoff picture. It is unlikely that any of us will see a coach in Coach Kehres stature for a long time. It is my hope that Coach V. Kehres just builds upon his own coaching success and translates that approach to the entire program. No doubt everyone who follows college football will be watching! :)
13 time Division III National Champions

Pat Coleman

Quote from: PurpleSuit on May 14, 2013, 12:17:16 PM

I'd say #12 and 13, if in order, are basically LK's.  VK is going to have an all-american backfield dominating the offense and his typical defense for the next two years.  What happens in year three is going to be key.  Is Mount going to follow the UWW plan of dominance for a couple of years and then disappear  following a legendary coaches retirement or continue on with the dominance? 

VK had better get through at least round 2 every year, Mount can't be losing to those joke of an East teams

If Mount falls back to the pack a little bit then you won't be seeing East teams any longer.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.