WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Yes, Carthage surely in the driver's seat now.  Somebody has to pin a loss on them soon, or they will run away with the conference crown.  Second time 'round games will be more competitive, I believe, as teams find their stretch run rotations, hopefully stay healthy, and also consider ways to stop, slow down Carthage.  We'll see.  IWU has to just keep grinding away at wins, winning all the games possible, and taking their shot at WC, NP and CC when they have the second chance to tighten up the race.  I'm pretty confident the Titans will be in the top four and have a good shot at getting on a good role once the Conference tournament comes round.  Sure do wish the Titans still had the services of Shelby Jackson and Kaitlyn Mullarkey going down the stretch, but that is not to be . . .

Gardner playing well, and Katy Seibring has now had some monster games in Conference play. 

IWU70

Pat Coleman

Quote from: iwu70 on January 19, 2013, 06:02:50 PM
Being back in HK, I seem to be blocked from some sites now, including the IWU sports page website and the cciw.org website, so can't see scores etc.   

Did the IWU women win today at MU?

Am listening to WBJC and the men's game just fine.  Titan men again playing very well. 

IWU70

We have a scoreboard as well. If CCIW schools reported scores to D3hoops.com more reliably (some do), you wouldn't have to ask those questions.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Carthage more than tripled their poll points this week (12 to 37), but still fell slightly short at #28.

No one else received any votes (probably only Wheaton was even considered by anyone).

RogK

Congratulations to Katy Seibring, new CCIW player of the week!
Wednesday's games will complete the first half of conference play. All four should be hard-fought. Millikin stayed close with IWU Saturday and may have an increasing level of confidence in their quest for that elusive first conference win; Their opponent North Central will see this game as a big chance to get into the midst of the playoff race.
Carthage has been very sharp, but will face a tenacious North Park team which is not that far from having been 5-1 or even 6-0 instead of 3-3.
Augustana, like NC, is 2-4 and will try hard for a win over IWU. They have already beaten Wheaton. A Titan win would put the green-and-white solidly into the upper half of the standings.
Elmhurst hosts Wheaton. The Thunder would surely like to avoid a 4-3 record, while the 3-3 Bluejays could tie them at 4-3 with a win.
Yes, all of the above is obvious, but we could have a bunch of interesting games.

iwu70

Congrats to Katy Seibring on CCIW Player of the Week.  What a fabulous week she had.  Keep it rolling Katy, keep it rolling Titans!!!

IWU70

RogK

iwu70, when in Hong Kong, do you have a fabulous view from your residence or workplace? (don't give out any detail if you don't want to)

iwu70

RogK, just back to HK, so staying temporarily with friends in Tsim Sha Tsui, the crowded and fun tourist district on the tip of Kowloon Peninsula.  No view there, but lovely, fun, intense, dyanmic HK style street life, which I love.  Very different than the praire and the empty, generally quiet streets of Blo/No.  Do miss IWU campus and Ames Library friends and colleagues.  But, lovely views at work, all over the CUHK campus as our University here is on a mountain side (just north of Shatin in the NT) and has wonderful views over Tolo Harbour, a big body of water with mountains behind, so very lovely, when the sunshine comes and the air pollution abaits abit.  Most days since my return have been lovely, pretty clear and in the mid 60s or 70s during the day.  This is the dry, cooler season here, so pretty nice, a lovely respite from Central Illinois ice and cold, bitter winter, to be sure.  It's great being back in Asia and Hong Kong specifically.  My teaching has started again and I have wonderful, very diverse groups of students for my two seminars here at CUHK -- including my first Chilean student and my first student from the Czech Republic.  Always learn a great deal from my students. 

Will be watching the upcoming CCIW games and hope for a conference crown for the men and for the women to stay in the mix through February, get to the Conference tourney.  Looks like Carthage is the pick of the lot this year on the women's side, at least so far, but I still have faith in my Titans and will support them 'til the end.  Katy Seibring is really coming into her own as a junior, others playing well too -- esp. McMahon and Gardner.  We need more rebounding and post presence and a bit more scoring out of Baltes and Bilek, IMHO.  We'll see.  Can't afford any more injuries or departures, for whatever reasons.  Pretty exciting season, some really great games so far, esp. for the Titan men.  Big game Wednesday night @The Shirk, NCC vs. IWU, for the conference lead.   Should be a very tough, competitive, grind-it-out type of game, with CCIW's best offense in league play vs. the best defense in league play -- two top 20 teams going at it, bigtime.   

Best to all CCIW chatsters from the "Far Side." 

IWU70

RogK

iwu70, this view of your neighborhood
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HK_Tsim_Sha_Tsui_200901.jpg
could easily be mistaken for Bloomington-Normal, couldn't it?
update : found this selection of HK photos -
http://www.globalphotos.org/hongkong.htm
We'll get back to basketball momentarily.

Mr. Ypsi

RogK, I'd say 80-85% of the buildings in that first photo are taller than anything in all of McLean County! ;)

Backseat Driver

Wheaton 67
Elmhurst 52

Brooke Olson- 19 points, 5 rebounds
Ellie Zeller- 18 points, 7 rebounds

Karen Senette - 15 points (4-6 3's), 6 rebounds
Fiona McMahon - 11 points, 11 rebounds

Wheaton bounced back nicely tonight with a really strong performance at Elmhurst. Wheaton led by 6 after a back-and-forth first half, but turned on the jets after halftime. The Thunder got good contributions from everyone tonight. Maris Hovee did a great job on Fiona McMahon (1-9 fg), making everything difficult for her. Ellie Zeller was outstanding. She made a ton of "hustle plays" and took smart shots, which is reflected in her going 9-11 from the field. Moriah Reeves was another freshman who played very well for Wheaton. Maria Panaggio continues to attack the glass for Wheaton (9 rebounds), and overall brings good effort and energy off the bench. It was also great to see Lauren Graham back, albeit in limited minutes off the bench. It's been a long time since she's played, so likely still working of rust and getting her conditioning back.

Karen Senette was having a really strong game before she got hurt towards the end of the first half. She returned to the game in the 2nd half, but didn't look to be at full strength. She knocked down some big 3's for the Bluejays. Wheaton focused a lot of attention on Fiona McMahon, obviously, and was able to keep her scoring down. But she still had a decent game. Elmhurst is a relatively young team this year, and I think they'll be a strong team in the next few seasons.

Wheaton hosts North Central on Saturday. It's pretty hard to predict games against the Cardinals this year, but I would expect a closer game than the Thunder's rout in Naperville earlier in the season.

Backseat Driver

Tonight's other scores:

Carthage 56
North Park 53

Illinois Wesleyan 82
Augustana 62

North Central 92
Millikin 68

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: RogK on January 22, 2013, 01:34:06 PM
Congratulations to Katy Seibring, new CCIW player of the week!
Wednesday's games will complete the first half of conference play. All four should be hard-fought. Millikin stayed close with IWU Saturday and may have an increasing level of confidence in their quest for that elusive first conference win; Their opponent North Central will see this game as a big chance to get into the midst of the playoff race.
Carthage has been very sharp, but will face a tenacious North Park team which is not that far from having been 5-1 or even 6-0 instead of 3-3.
Augustana, like NC, is 2-4 and will try hard for a win over IWU. They have already beaten Wheaton. A Titan win would put the green-and-white solidly into the upper half of the standings.
Elmhurst hosts Wheaton. The Thunder would surely like to avoid a 4-3 record, while the 3-3 Bluejays could tie them at 4-3 with a win.
Yes, all of the above is obvious, but we could have a bunch of interesting games.

A sure sign of how spoiled we (or at least I) have gotten over the last half decade: that phrase struck me as very odd earlier today!  Imagine being happy to be in the top half of the standings!

But I am happy to be in the top half of the standings.  I'd be even happier if we (and someone else) could knock off Carthage and return to the TOP of the standings!

I'm just not sure we have the firepower this year.

Gregory Sager

Carthage 56
North Park 53

Shaina Yalda: 17 pts
Nicole Kruckman: 6 rebs
Sarah Peterson: 9 pts, 5 rebs

Stephanie Kuzmanic: 15 pts
Kristi Schmidt: 12 pts, 5 rebs
Caliee Corcoran: 8 pts, 12 rebs
Michelle Wenzel: 8 pts, 7 rebs

I hate to keep saying, "close, but no cigar," but it happened again to NPU. The Vikings fought back from a 13-point deficit and ran a solid double-screen play with five seconds left that resulted in an open Sarah Peterson look from the top of the key, but she back-ironed it and regulation thus ended in a Lady Reds win rather than an overtime.

The Vikings, who trailed almost the entire game, fought back to tie it up at 51-all, but never quite got over the hump. It was a terrific defensive battle between the two teams, and each team only managed to find a couple of things that worked all night. Carthage had an excellent high-low game going with Cailee Corcoran and Kristi Schmidt, and Stephanie Kuzmanic was able to use her combination of size and speed to take Kamauria Acree baseline and shoot over her all night. For the Vikings, Shaina Yalda was able to get a step on the Lady Reds defenders and penetrate, where she either did a nice job of converting her own shots or creating weak-side for Sarah Peterson. (It was good to see Sarah back on the floor tonight, although she is obviously laboring on her bad knee, while Dana Christensen is still not 100% on her ankle yet.)

Another tough loss for NPU, which keeps coming close but just can't seem to make it work out right in endgame situations. Four close losses in the last five games now for the Vikes; it's gotta be driving Amanda Reese crazy.

Judging by the venue that Carthage went to for the postgame meal, I'm sure that Tim Bernero probably used the old, "Win, and we eat at Charcoal Delights ... lose, and we eat at McDonald's" ploy that coaches will sometimes use before a game at NPU. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

RogK, thanks for the pic of Kowloon you posted.  Yes, I'm living in Kowloon, just a few blocks behind that huge skyscraper in the center/right of your picture of the Kowloon Peninsula.  That's the same neighborhood where my son was raised and grew up when here in HK.  It's great to be back in HK, my beloved city and home for 30+ years.

IWU wins tonight, moves to 5-2 in CCIW play and does stay within striking distance of CC. But, IWU will need some help, have someone else beat them, too, and hope for a strong rematch in Kenosha upcoming.  It's going to be tough to chase them down at this stage, me thinks.  Katy Seibring, the current CCIW Player of the Week, had another superb game at Augie.  Gardner and Bilek in double figures as well and some nice contributions on the glass from Scurlock.  The Titans have to keep it going, do the best they can with the current rotation, and bench contributors.  So far so good, climbing back to a better overall record and a respectable location in the CCIW standings to date.  We'll see if they are able to track CC done in the next 4-5 weeks.  Having a good seed in the CCIW tourney will help . . . then another rematch likely with CC.  Seems familiar enough as in recent years.

IWU70

RogK

The game in Naperville had two distinct halves. Millikin won the 1st 35-27, thanks in part to controlling the boards 35-20. Nikki Tipsword had 10 of her 12 rebs in the 1st half. The Big Blue had better energy than NC and also took advantage of some unwise passes by NC. If not for a couple of threes by Kelsey Cooling, NC would've been down 14.
North Central's effort was vastly better in a 65-33 2nd half, while Millikin seemed very unlike what they were in the opening 20:00. Millikin committed 29 TOs in the 2nd half.
Millikin's Moli Copple scored 10 pts in 13:00 and gave me the impression that she could be a "go-to" type scorer. Teammate Bria Williams had 16 (8/12 FG) and 9 rebs.
A lot of players contributed well in various ways for NC. Among them : Paula Elum grabbed 10 rebs; Emily Murphy made 7 of 8 FGs for a quick 14 pts in 15:00; Lauren Hernandez sank 4 threes; Callie Rezin had 6 assists; Tonisha Ellington had "8 and 5" in 10:00.
(added note : Millikin was without Alyssa Saklak, who has scored these amounts in conference play : 16, 10, 28, 18, 9)