D3 early season tournaments

Started by coachwilson55555, October 23, 2017, 04:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachwilson55555

What early season tournaments are there this year for D2 and D3 schools?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There are a lot... though, very hard to name them all on here.

However, if you go through the schedules on our site, you will run into them. I can think of about a dozen or more from the East Coast to the central part of the country at the very least.

(And I have no idea about DII.)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 23, 2017, 05:16:24 PM

However, if you go through the schedules on our site, you will run into them. I can think of about a dozen or more from the East Coast to the central part of the country at the very least.

YIKES.. a dozen or more is an understatement of major proportions..  there are over 50 inseason D3 tourneys the first weekend of the season, and well over 100 in season tourneys through the end of the calendar year ... If I have the time, I'll highlight what appears to be some of the best, based strictly on last year's records.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: hopefan on October 23, 2017, 05:39:27 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 23, 2017, 05:16:24 PM

YIKES.. a dozen or more is an understatement of major proportions..  there are over 50 inseason D3 tourneys the first weekend of the season, and well over 100 in season tourneys through the end of the calendar year ... If I have the time, I'll highlight what appears to be some of the best, based strictly on last year's records.

Trust me when I say, I wasn't trying to be accurate. I did about 1/3 or so of the men's and women's schedules for our website (of those that needed to be done) and was shooting off the hip. Since I didn't see everything in its entirety, it was hard to guesstimate.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

Some of the better tourneys in the first weekend of the season, 11/17-11/19 :

The absolute best is the Great Lakes tourney at Marietta... 8 teams all at .500 or better... 2 games each... Marietta, St Thomas, Hope, Wittenburg, St. John Fisher, Dickinson, Mount St. Joe's, Birminham So.    Super matchups include Hope-Marietta, St. Thomas-Marietta, St. John Fisher-Hope, Mount St. Joe's -Dickinson.

other good ones

Carroll Tourney... Carroll, Concordia Wi,  Simpson, Bethel... all over .500

F&M Tourney... &M, Lancaster Bible, Bethany, Alvernia... all at .500 or better

Ill-Mich Tourney...Augustana and Ill Wesleyan take on Calvin and Alma... HUGE test for MIAA

Lebanon Val Tourney.. Look for Lebo Val vs Staten Islnd or Ursinus in final

Lopata Classic.... Should be Wash U vs Tufts in final

Lycoming Tourney... Good final with Lycoming vs Oneonta or DeSales

Rochester Tourney..  Good Final should be Rochester vs TCNJ

Thomas More Tourney... Good final could be Thomas More vs Hanover

Wheaton Tourney... UW-River Falls vs Ballwin Wallace first night, then Wheaton may play the winner

Babson Tourney.... Babson vs Endicott likely in final

Hood Tourney.... Christopher Newport vs Catholic in first round

Mary Washington Tourney.... Cabrini vs Denison the first night

Marymount Tourney.... Ramapo vs Randolph-Macon first round

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'll be in Marietta for the Great Lakes Invitational.  I'm looking forward to some great games.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

coachwilson55555

does D3 have a list of early season tournaments like the ones at bloggingthebrackets.com for D1?

Pat Coleman

Everyone and their brother has a tipoff tournament, it seems. There are so many that often they cannot all be filled, although that's dialed back a bit in the past few years.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hopefan

The in season tourney's are one of the things I track.. I could list here once all the schedules are in and Matchups decided....

coachwilson55555

That would be awesome!  I usually like to attend some early season tournaments since it is the best way to see multiple teams on the same day.

hopefan

I will gradually list ALL in season Tourneys...

Did not use Formal Tourney names, as they are meaningless to most of us.. rather I listed the Host Team, or the location....

First Weekend of the season....

Lyndon St Tourney         
11/8/2018   Johnson State   St. Joseph's (Vt.)   
   Lyndon State   Vermont Tech   
11/9/2018   Johnson State   Vermont Tech   
   Lyndon State   St. Joseph's (Vt.)   

Rowan Tourney         
11/8/2018   Widener   Penn State Brandywine   
   Rowan   Rosemont   
11/9/2018   winners/losers      

Hood Tourney         
11/9/2018   Hood      Gallaudet   
   Randolph-Macon   Immaculata   
11/10/2018   winners/losers      

Lycoming Tourney         
11/9/2018   Marywood   New Rochelle   
   Lycoming   Penn St.-Schuylkill   

Messiah Tourney         
11/9/2018         Ursinus   Roanoke   
   Messiah   Clarks Summit   

Rivier Tourney         
11/9/2018            Rivier   Newbury   
11/10/2018   Curry   Newbury   
   Rivier   Lesley   

Thomas Tourney         
11/9/2018     Norwich   Maine-Presque Isle   
   Thomas   Maine-Augusta   
11/10/2018   Maine-Presque Isle   Maine-Augusta   
   Thomas   Norwich   

UW-Superior Tourney         
11/10/2018   UW-Superior   Finlandia   
   UW-Stout   Lawrence   
11/11/2018   UW-Superior   Lawrence   
   UW-Stout   Finlandia   

Penn st Harrisburg tourney         
11/10/2018   Penn State-Harrisburg   Gettysburg   
   Lebanon Valley   Neumann   
11/11/2018   winners/losers      

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Couldn't this thread have been put in the original thread of the same topic?

hopefan

Guess CoachWilson55555 forgot he started one last year... feel free to merge if you like...

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: hopefan on October 07, 2018, 09:38:14 PM
Guess CoachWilson55555 forgot he started one last year... feel free to merge if you like...

I don't have those kinds of permissions. LOL

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 07, 2018, 09:48:53 PM
Quote from: hopefan on October 07, 2018, 09:38:14 PM

I don't have those kinds of permissions. LOL

You probably do, Dave - merge is way down at the bottom of the page when you're on a thread.  I did it for this one, though, so no worries.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere