BB: CC: Centennial Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 02:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lefty

I only saw Hopkins once and that was last Friday against Ursinus so my opinion might not count much. 

I think they definitely have the hitting and they go deep with their pitching staff....a must in the regional.  I question their defense only because they looked awful in the field against Ursinus.  I think they had three or four errors in that game and I see they had 90 in 42 games.  In comparison to the two NJAC teams that will make the regional....Kean had 47 errors in 40 games and TCNJ had 54 errors in 39 games.

Head to head against NJAC schools this year:

Defeated William Paterson 20-8
Swept RU-Camden 11-2 and 15-3
Lost to TCNJ 5-4
Swept RU-Newark 12-6 and 7-3
Lost to TCNJ 8-2
Defeated Montclair St 10-5

So by my calculations that makes them 6-2 this year.  The problem is five of those wins came against NJAC schools that did not make the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what they do against the top pitchers in the NJAC.

bluejayfan

Just had to weigh in here in favor of the Blue Jays. First off congrats to the guys on a great run to capture the title. I think things could be very interesting in the regionals. The Blue Jays (who moved up to #13 in this week's ABCA poll) played a one-run game with TCNJ in Arizona and the game in Ewing could have been a lot closer. The guys' heads seem like they are in the right place heading into regionals, they proved they could win a close game with the victories on Saturday, the bats are hot and if the pitching continues like it did Sunday. Well, all I can say is its going to be an interesting stretch of baseball.

OldHasBeen

i agree hop will make things interesting, as long as the pitching a D holds up...its scary to think how good they would have been without the loss of their starting 3rd baseman and arguably best hitter, along with a solid hitting outfielder and pitcher who throws in the high 80's...

bluejayfan

Emr looks like he's dying on the bench to be in there. I give him credit for being a good teammate and cheering them on. Though if your going to lose him its nice to have a freshman who can step in and get named All-Centennial.

OldHasBeen

Emr is a good kid with a lot of good baseball ahead of him...can anyone lend some insight onto the format of regionals...will it be games on everday until you lose 2....will there be days off...essentially what i am trying to get at, is there any predictable way to take off work??

bluejayfan

Looks like regional games go every day and there's no really good way to pinpoint it down till they decide if we have six or seven teams in the region.

OldHasBeen

congratulations to the 2 centennial players tabbed for all america....jonas fester and rob sanzillo from hopkins

pizzashop

He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else. ~ Benjamin Franklin

bluejayfan

Hopkins had its season opener against Rutgers-Newark postponed today. Make-up date for the doubleheader is TBA. Looks like the Blue Jays will try to open the season on March 4 against Messiah.

Lefty

Quote from: bluejayfan on February 29, 2008, 10:24:16 AM
Hopkins had its season opener against Rutgers-Newark postponed today. Make-up date for the doubleheader is TBA.

Thanks Blue Jay Fan!  That was on my schedule for tomorrow and would not have known if you didn't post.  For some reason I never check the school's website....maybe I should start.

old ends

Everything got ppd or cancelled. Maybe they will start playing at the end of the month with the weather trends..

bluejayfan

Looks like Hopkins vs. Messiah will get in today. Will post here if anything changes.

bluejayfan

Hopkins vs. Stevens Tech is off for tomorrow. Very Tenative for Sunday against Rutgers-Newark. Fingers crossed, they might be able to get Monday in with York before leaving for Arizona on Wednesday.

old ends

I hope it drys off and warms up to start getting some of these games in before conference play starts

bluejayfan

Well, Hopkins is 2-0 heading to Arizona after getting by Rutgers-Newark yesterday. Old Ends, will do my best to post with some updates from Arizona and the Blue Jays' big games.