MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Team First

As expected, Dickinson faced a very focused and very good team in CNU on Sunday. It's easy to see how the Captains made the Final Four last season as they are both talented and tenacious. Looks like the Merietta game served as a wake-up call for CNU as they executed virtually every aspect of the game. Dickinson showed an ability to play at that high level (10 blocks, forcing 13 turnovers and good shooting percentage) but couldn't do it in all aspects (got significantly outrebounded, giving up 14 offensive rebounds and committing 16 turnovers resulting in CNU getting 15 more attempts at the basket). In the final analysis, playing what should be a top 5 team this early in the season was a great opportunity for the Red Devils to test both ends of the floor. Two games this week on the road against McDaniel and Swarthmore. Looking forward to watching both.

centfan

it looks like dickinson played well and pretty even in many respects except for rebounds and shots taken. a 6'2 guard, marcus carter, had 12 rebounds for CNU which looks like it was a game changer. shots taken, which follows rebounding: CNU 61 to Dickinson 46. always good to play against a better team and be challenged...great scheduling job by seretti.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm planning to be up at Swarthmore for the men's game on Saturday against Dickinson.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gabriel

Quote from: Hoopdog14 on November 15, 2016, 07:54:38 PM
Moune will be tough to replace but Robinson always seems to have F&M land  their feet.  Swarthmore is the logical pick to win.Kosmalski is the top coach in the conference.  G-burg will have size and experience to battle and Nelson and Seretti will have Hopkins and Dickinson in contention with several key players returning.  Washington is still re-building and McDaniel may struggle.  Haverford will have ups and downs.   The Bears and the Mules don't have the horses or the coaching to muster up a challenge.

Hoopdog,

Might want to review your analysis.

Hoopdog14

Nah I'm good.  2 games is a long way away from a whole season.  Although I am a little surprised at Ursinus ability to score.

Swarthmore had an easy time against the Mules with an away win by over 30 points.  They efficiently handled the Mules press and punched holes in the Mules zone defense. Wiley,Bourne and Cousineau hit double figures.  Wiley hit 4 of 7 from 3 while Bourne was 8 of 11 from the field.

Mules had only Werheim in double figures scoring 14 pets and 4 boards.  Mules shot 31% from 3 and was out-rebounded by a 2:1 margin.  Outside of Werheim the Mules have trouble generating any offense.

Reserved Seat

Ursinus dominated F&M offensively and defensively(102-86).  Ursinus exploited the lack of an inside and played a physical game.  Williams for Ursinus came out hot and put Ursinus into an early that they never relinquished.  Williams hit 5 threes in the first half as Ursinus built a comfortable.  F&M came out the second half trying to play a tight pressure defense, but gave up numerous uncontested lays.  Williams lead all scorers with 30 points, Knowles added 23.  Ursinus shot 60% to F&M's 33%.  Ursinus had 44 points in the paint to F&M's 14.  All the uncontested layups added to the for-mentioned stats.  Federici lead F&M with 26 points, and Tate contributed 21.  Stoma was pounded in the paint and scored all of his points on 15/16 shooting from the line.  Owana added 10 points--with 8 of them coming from the line on 8/10 shooting.  Stoma was well beat up by the time he fouled out.  Three times, while attempting to take a charge, he was called for blocking fouls where he was physically knocked to the floor.  If Ursinus plays like they did tonight they will be in the mix for the play-offs by the end of the season.  Gabriel might be right.

CCD3Basketball

I can't remember the last time F&M started 0-2 in the CC, let alone with both of those losses coming at home. Lucky for them, it's still early, but the lack of a solid post presence so far (points in the paint tonight was 44-14 in favor of the Bears) has to be concerning for F&M fans.

Swat looks really, really good so far. Yes, it's early, but they have looked really good so far.

Big slate of games coming on Saturday afternoon. Looking forward to it.
Broadcaster. Writer. Analyst. Fan. Voter. Centennial Conference focus, with an eye on D3 as a whole. D3 Basketball runs my life for over a quarter of the year and I have no problems with that. My wife feels differently about that last part.

Swat Fan #1

Hey just stopping by to catch up on things. It looks to be an upside down league from a few years ago. Swat is clearly the team to beat right now and are pretty deep. LK has the team playing very well. My only concern is that he is a rising star and I bet looking for a bigger job after this year. However, I will enjoy it while it lasts. I can't believe F&M gave up 102 points. When was the last time that happened?

On another (fun) note, my son played against Jon Ward in the championship game of a league in downtown Philly last week.

Hope all is well with everyone. I bet this is going to be a crazy season!

Team First

Dickinson still better on defense than offense but have work to do on both ends especially regarding consistency.

The first half wasn't pretty. The Red Devils finished the half with twice as many turnovers as made baskets (10 TOs, shot 5-20). Meanwhile the Green Terror wasn't much better with 9 turnovers and 10-22 from the field. Bright spot for McDaniel was their center Kevin Yrizarry, who did a nice job scoring in the post with a variety of drop step moves.

The second half was a different story. Dickinson cleaned things up offensively committing only 2 turnovers while shooting 52% from the field on 12-23 shooting. Seven assists on the 12 made baskets was a difference maker as the ball movement and decision making on offense appeared to be much more solid (the Red Devils had only 1 assist in the first half). The Red Devils' better looks also resulted in more trips to the line making 12-15 in the half. Defensively, the on ball pressure applied throughout the game appeared to wear down the Green Terror and disrupt their offense. Josh McWilliams and Yrizarry carried the scoring load for McDaniel but it wasn't nearly enough as Dickinson found more offense in Mike Jurzynski, Justus Melton and first year point guard Bryce Allen who had a terrific debut.

Five games in and the Red Devils still working out the details. The ceiling looks to be very high. Saturday should be interesting.

Reserved Seat

Swat Fan #1--looking back the last time F&M gave up a 100 was during the 2004-2005 season, but they won.  Looking back to the 70's they gave up a 100 often, especially when they lost 4 games in the 70-71 season when they gave up over 100 in each of the 4 games

Gabriel

Reserved Seat,

I was watching the game on line and, I think you were behind the Dips bench.  What was the deal regarding GRob's ejection.  I know it was two technical fouls but what was the issue?

The F&M camera crew and commentators did a terrific job.  Frederici is a load and Stoma is on his way to being a special player over the next four years.  Dips are still in the hunt.

Reserved Seat

Robinson was frustrated by the the team's lack of defense. But near the end of the game Osley was hurt and Robinson wanted to take him out of the game, and the officials wouldn't let him.  I don't know why.  I'm sure it was some picayune rule.  Trying to get Osley out of the game caused the first technical and yelling back at the ref after the first technical caused the second instantaneous foul.  Robinson was just frustrated.  Williams had an unbelievable game.  He seemed to be everywhere making every key play or shot.

givengo

Love the way the Centennial is starting out this season. It's great to watch talented young coaches as they figure out the working parts to get to that cohesive whole.

Gabriel

Reserved,

Thanks for the insight.  Eric Williams did play well.  He worked hard on his game over the summer and it shows.  Matt Knowles is rounding into form too coming back from ACL surgery as is Zack Muredda.  It takes a while to trust that leg again.

Seems to me that the Dips will play more pressure defense and shoot more threes this year given their lack of inside presence.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Is it too early to wonder if F&M will make the conference tourney?  A lot of teams looking strong and the Dips are just... not.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere