CCIW

Started by Mr. Ypsi, September 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjcummingsfan

Hey Greg, can you post a link to the video from Sunday's game?  I hunted all over Facebook and couldn't find it. 

Gregory Sager

Unfortunately, NPU's webfolks seem to have taken it down.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

firstplaceloser

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 25, 2017, 12:54:05 PM

probably bc they didn't want chicago to watch it. even though they probably already have a copy

4samuy

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: firstplaceloser on November 25, 2017, 06:12:56 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 25, 2017, 12:54:05 PM

probably bc they didn't want chicago to watch it. even though they probably already have a copy

Technically by NCAA rule, they can't keep the game up on the site. Wish there was a longer window for that and I plan to discuss it with folks in Indy, but schools are not allowed to keep broadcasts up in the NCAA tournament.

Has nothing to do with Chicago seeing it... as you noted, they receive a copy anyway.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

mr_b

soccer1234

Any early thoughts on how each team is looking this season? How good will the defending national runner up North Park be? And who will be able to compete with them?

Gregory Sager

I can't answer any of your three questions with anything close to a definitive reply. I can say that NPU played a friendly against D1 Bradley this spring and came away with a 0-0 draw. Even though John Born wasn't particularly happy with the way that the Vikings played, a 0-0 tie against a decent D1 outfit is still a noteworthy accomplishment for spring practice.

I expect Carthage to be NPU's primary challenger again this season. I don't think that I'm going out on a limb in saying that.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gotberg

I'm always interested to see the NPU roster from year to year.  I never assume the Scandinavians are committed beyond a single year.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gotberg

NPU's roster is up (still with more details coming I assume).  30+ incoming freshman - no Gustav Ericsson, but rumors have been that he is transferring to a mid-level D1 program.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

NPU has 58 players on the roster, which is insane. There are football programs in D3 that don't have 58 players. Such is the attraction of success, I guess. Included are NPU's first-ever Brazilians (two of 'em), first-ever Dutch player, and a player from China. Of course, the big question regarding North Park soccer every year has always been, "How many Scandinavians are on the roster?", and the answer this year is ten -- five Swedes and five Norwegians, with four of the Scandinavians being freshmen.

He's not listed in the coach's bios yet, but I've been told that NPU has had to hire a second GA to help coach all of those players.

rudy

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 01, 2018, 11:07:46 PM
NPU has 58 players on the roster, which is insane. There are football programs in D3 that don't have 58 players. Such is the attraction of success, I guess. Included are NPU's first-ever Brazilians (two of 'em), first-ever Dutch player, and a player from China. Of course, the big question regarding North Park soccer every year has always been, "How many Scandinavians are on the roster?", and the answer this year is ten -- five Swedes and five Norwegians, with four of the Scandinavians being freshmen.

He's not listed in the coach's bios yet, but I've been told that NPU has had to hire a second GA to help coach all of those players.

That must be a record... 30 freshman!?  Why would a player want to go to a program with so many players. Surely most will never see the field. I imagine many will not travel with the team for games.  Some must drop or get cut...cant believe they would carry that many for the season.

Gregory Sager

They won't cut anybody. A number of guys will see the writing on the wall and quit.

NPU will play a full reserve schedule, so there will be a lot of additional playing time available. With those numbers, though, North Park could field two reserve squads. I don't think that the program will, but it'd still be possible. The varsity, as always, will travel with around 25 players or so.

The answer to your "why" question is pretty obvious: Everybody wants to play for a winner. John and Kris don't lie to prospects about their chance to play. But players inwardly sell themselves on their own merits. If you're convinced that you're good enough to play for a team like North Park -- and an eighteen-year-old often isn't the best judge of his own ability level -- then that's where you want to go, because it's now been established that you have the chance to go far with a team like that. And NPU, like any tuition-driven D3 private school, isn't about to deny you a uniform if you're admitted.

OldNed

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 02, 2018, 10:43:41 AM
They won't cut anybody. A number of guys will see the writing on the wall and quit.

NPU will play a full reserve schedule, so there will be a lot of additional playing time available. With those numbers, though, North Park could field two reserve squads. I don't think that the program will, but it'd still be possible. The varsity, as always, will travel with around 25 players or so.

The answer to your "why" question is pretty obvious: Everybody wants to play for a winner. John and Kris don't lie to prospects about their chance to play. But players inwardly sell themselves on their own merits. If you're convinced that you're good enough to play for a team like North Park -- and an eighteen-year-old often isn't the best judge of his own ability level -- then that's where you want to go, because it's now been established that you have the chance to go far with a team like that. And NPU, like any tuition-driven D3 private school, isn't about to deny you a uniform if you're admitted.

What is a reserve schedule?  I've never heard of such a thing in D3 soccer, but admittedly I haven't been around for too long. If it's what I think it is (like a JV schedule in high school), how many other programs have reserve teams playing?

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: OldNed on August 02, 2018, 11:19:21 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 02, 2018, 10:43:41 AM

What is a reserve schedule?  I've never heard of such a thing in D3 soccer, but admittedly I haven't been around for too long. If it's what I think it is (like a JV schedule in high school), how many other programs have reserve teams playing?

Reserves are a group that don't play in Varsity games.  Sometimes called JV or Freshmen (if reserves are exclusively freshmen).  They would play other reserve squads, JV teams, Prep schools, local men's teams, etc.