Regional Realignment

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), February 27, 2013, 07:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Pat posted the proposed realignment moves - http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2013/02/regional-realignment-coming - for men's basketball.

For the most part they make sense, but moving the WIAC to the Central region (I assume the renaming of Midwest to Central is part of it), doesn't that just create a logjam of top team in one region.  Competing for all-region just got harder.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Also, right now at least on d3hoops, Cornell of the IIAC is in the Midwest - will they moving to the west?

(509)Rat

Good for Whitworth. No WIAC means an increased chance of 1-2 additional NWC teams making the regional rankings. Tough to get games against "regionally ranked opponents" when the SCIAC is bad and nobody else in your conference can make the rankings...

And more regional awards!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The Championship Handbook currently lists 57 teams in the West Region.  d3hoops region list has 59, which, I assume, includes some still provisional members (I don't think Presentation is a full member yet - maybe someone else can help us with the provisional list).

Assuming they gain Cornell, but lose CC, Finlandia, and the WIAC, that's a net loss of 10.

If there are only 47 (or 48) teams, they will only get to rank 7, but if there are 49, they will get to rank 8.

I'm not sure I'm up for doing all the math for all regions, but someone should.

smedindy

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 27, 2013, 07:33:07 AM

Also, right now at least on d3hoops, Cornell of the IIAC is in the Midwest - will they moving to the west?

Cornell is in the MWC. They just moved last season. Pat may need to change the conference link on the Midwest region site.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: smedindy on February 27, 2013, 08:39:52 AM

Cornell is in the MWC. They just moved last season. Pat may need to change the conference link on the Midwest region site.

Ok, so that's a net loss of 11 - putting the absolute most they'll have next year at 48, which is just 7 ranking positions.

Essentially the West is losing two Regional Ranking spots with this move.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The Midwest will stay the same - losing 10 HCAC schools, gaining 9 WIACs and Finlandia.

The NCAA lists the Midwest at 50, but d3hoops has 51 on the list.  That doesn't matter at all for ranking slots, still 8 either way.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The South currently has 51 listed with the NCAA (53 on d3hoops, but we know there's some provisionals there).  They'll lose no one and add Colorado College.

Even with 54 schools, they're still at 8 ranking positions.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Great Lakes has 42 current members (both NCAA and d3hoops lists agree).  They'll be adding 10 HCAC schools and 7 AMCC schools.

That puts them all the way up at 59 - given them 9 ranking spots, an addition of three.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The Mid-Atlantic currently has 61 schools (both NCAA and d3hoops agree).  They'll be losing 5 NEAC, 4 AMCC, 10 CSAC, and 8 MACF - while gaining Merchant Marine.

A net loss of 26, bringing them down to 35 schools and only 5 ranking spots.  They're losing 4.

I know there's some conference realignment coming that will add to this number, adding just one more school gets them up to 6 ranking spots, which is where they'll likely end up.

(The South can lose five schools and still be at 8 ranking spots.)

mailsy

Noticed, if I'm correct, that the MAC Freedom would stay in the MidAtlantic and the MAC Commonwealth would move to the Atlantic along with the CSAC. Interesting!  :-\
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

mailsy

So that means with the movement of conferences/teams into the Atlantic, the Atlantic regional rankings would go from 5 to 8 in the Atlantic?

And on another note I'd have to go to another board on a regular basis?  :o ;D
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

(509)Rat

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 27, 2013, 08:44:02 AM
Quote from: smedindy on February 27, 2013, 08:39:52 AM

Ok, so that's a net loss of 11 - putting the absolute most they'll have next year at 48, which is just 7 ranking positions.

Essentially the West is losing two Regional Ranking spots with this move.

Which is really a gain of one spot for everyone else, since the WIAC regularly takes up 3 spots in the rankings.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: mailsy on February 27, 2013, 09:03:43 AM
Noticed, if I'm correct, that the MAC Freedom would stay in the MidAtlantic and the MAC Commonwealth would move to the Atlantic along with the CSAC. Interesting!

The d3sports article has Freedom moving and Commonwealth staying.  Likely Pat will move the CSAC board over to the Atlantic Region.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Northeast is at 75 (both sources agree) and will stay that way, continuing to have 12 ranking slots.