Top 25 discussion

Started by Pat Coleman, February 02, 2005, 12:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearswatcher

Well the WBCA gets it...Wash U #2....but come on NOT 1 vote for Chicago, how can that be

bbald eagle

Top 25 point made on the CAC board by eaglemaniac:
"ESPN/Coaches Poll has UMW [University of Mary Washington] #25 yet they also get a point in the "others receiving votes" category.   Must be the fuzzy math....."
Add the point & they go to 24 in that poll notes mwcsid
They're #18 on D3Hoops' list

bbald eagle

On the CAC board, eaglemaniac says now ESPN/Coaches poll is revised to move Mary Washinton to #24.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: bbald eagle on December 06, 2005, 12:28:53 PM
Second week in a row that the men's poll is out much earlier than the women's.  The women's voters must be slower!  ???

Yep.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Where do I go to smite the slow voters?   :D ;D :D ;D ;) >:( >:( :D

We D3Hoops.com fans anticipate each new release of the best college poll in the country with every breath! :D ;D

WBRSsports

With #1 Milikin's loss tonight, what do you think the top 5 will look like?

Ralph Turner

"RV #30" McMurry hosts #15 Hardin-Simmons 5:30 pm CST Monday night.  Cross-town rivals!  Even tho' the schools are out for the semester, there should be a good crowd.  They played before a full house (2000 fans) last January.

http://www.d3hoops.com/gallery.php?gallery=36835

On the Web at www.mcm.edu.

Kit Kimbrell and Leon Rawlings on the call.

bearswatcher

OK, I am going to be serious and not obnoxious hear (haha that spelling is for my good friend from the Northeast).

Even though I have never seen USM I will give them the Top spot until beaten, obviously there is almost as good competition in the NE as the UAA, albeit not all in the same conference. Also, considering WU beat Middlebury and Brandeis beat Bates and it seems both teams are solid I am giving the edge to Brandeis and WU for 2-3 in the poll with Bowdoin being 4th Capital 5th and BW 6th-after that I don't know enough except that in the past George Fox beats everyone then get to a solid competitor in the NCAA and loses so they would NOT be next in my book. Additionally, I do belive that the UAA is the strongest conference this season, with Chicago and NYU both being undefeated as well and I give Chicago an edge for playing what seems to be better competition compared to NYU. I also think that Case is much stronger then recent years as evidenced in close games with rank opponents and Emory is now an experienced team and the vets are doing well. Also, Rochester is an above average team. So thats it from me I expect the top 5 to look like USM, Brandeis, Wash U, Bowdoin and Capital.

As a WU student who has seen last years team and this years team and the other UAA teams I am convinved that KMann is the Player of the year. Should she go down with and injury or foul trouble the supporting cast is not near what it was last year, and KMann has been unstoppable. I think all round, since Brandeis and Chicago returned evryone from last year, they both will give WU trouble, I think both may have a better top 5 then us, but I also think we are deeper then both as has been the case in the past. Interesting matchups, can wait til next year.

Ralph Turner

McM 73,  #15 HSU 65.

McM is now 6-0/5-0.  HSU is 5-1/4-1.

Key stat in this game comes from McM PG Symbri Tuttle: 40 minutes, 7 assists, zero turnovers against the #15 team in the country!

Errata--New Top 25 poll was released for games as of Dec 11, 2005.

#25 McMurry 73, #13 HSU 65. ;)

bbald eagle

In yesterday's USA TODAY ESPN DIVISION III TOP 25 COACHES' POLL
http://www.wbca.org/DIIICoachesPoll.asp
the top 25 includes 21 of the same teams that appear in the D3Hoops Top 25.  The first 11 teams are the same in each poll, although they aren't in the same order in both polls.

Coach C

I applaud the coaches association for the 'courage' of publishing their first poll after only 1/5 of  the season has passed.  Are they just posting 5 polls this year?

C

andrewf

Pretty sure this is the coaches associations second poll (not counting the preseason poll) but I suppose I could be wrong.

bbald eagle

Coach -

I think you're off on this criticism.  It's WBCA's third poll: one preseason, one last week, and now this third one (which they call their Week Two Poll).

Coach C

Ok -

i did not see that it was a week 2 poll.

I admit when I am wrong.

C

deiscanton

Today's results look very interesting for discussion.  I held off on public discussion while the votes were being cast, but I guess that I can comment on the results now:

1.)  Wash U, with 7 first place votes, barely gets the #1 vote on a plurality of the ballots cast, but not the #1 ranking.  (18 points behind S. Maine, 14 points behind Brandeis.)

2.)  S. Maine gets 6 first place votes and barely holds on to the #1 ranking by 4 points.

3.)  Brandeis gets its highest ranking ever on the D3Hoops.com poll at #2 this week and also gets 6 first place votes.  Brandeis is the highest ranked team of the currently undefeated teams. 

4.)  George Fox gets the #3 ranking this week and gets 4 first place votes.

5.)  Bowdoin gets the # 5 ranking.

6.)  Messiah and Mary Washington each get 1 first place vote-- I had heard some good impressions about Messiah's season this year, and I would like some comments from people who have seen Mary Washington in action about how good this team is.

My comments:

There was not going to be a true consensus this week on who the #1 team is, regardless of the results of the balloting.  I think that, as a group, the top 5 teams listed in the current poll are the top 5 teams in DIII, and while others may disagree with me, I think that the #2 ranking for Brandeis seems right at this time given the schedule that the Judges played, but I would not have kept S. Maine at the #1 spot-- S. Maine is still a top 5 team in my book, though.   While I commend S. Maine for playing Bowdoin, Bates, Williams, and Salem State in the first semester, I did not think that it was right to schedule a game during finals period-- especially on a day when S. Maine was taking final exams-- thereby delaying the start of the doubleheader.  Salem State also played the game in the middle of finals period-- however, Salem had their first day of finals the day before the game with the weekend being a study period, and Monday being the second day of finals.  In DIII, student-athletes are students first, and the students should have allowed to take their finals without the added pressure of playing a big game during final exams.  I am not exempting Wash U from this either, as Saturday's Wash U/Fontbonne match also was in the middle of finals period.