MBB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by N, March 01, 2005, 04:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Yeah, that would be a major headache.

Carthage's athletics nickname is a vestige of its Illinois heritage. Carthage High School's teams were known as the Blueboys, in honor of the large contingent of Carthaginian males who served in the Union Army during the Civil War. (CHS has since merged with two other schools and is now Illini West High School; its teams are called the Chargers.) The college's sports teams adopted the nickname Redmen (since altered to Red Men) so as to distinguish themselves from the Blueboys.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwumichigander

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 04, 2019, 05:16:51 PM
Illinois College was also a charter member of the CCIW (which began as the CCI, since there were no Wisconsin members at the time). I'm not sure that the CCIW would welcome Illinois College back into the fold the way that it welcomed Carroll. It was stretching the CCIW's footprint a bit to re-admit Carroll. It would stretch it a lot to re-admit IC. Everybody already gripes about having to make the trip to Millikin as it is (aside from the Illinois Wesleyan people), and IC's over an hour beyond Millikin. I suspect that the NACC would have the same reservations about admitting IC as a new member.

The SLIAC would be a great geographic fit for IC, but: a) the SLIAC doesn't sponsor football; and b) I doubt that MacMurray College would want its crosstown rival to join its league.
not crosstown Greg, it is across the street!

Gregory Sager

Jacksonville's so small that anything across the street is crosstown. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 04, 2019, 11:44:05 PM
Jacksonville's so small that anything across the street is crosstown. ;)

Well Dominican and CUC do the same thing in the bustling metropolis of River Forest. (Of course both schools roasted each other on twitter when announcing the St. Norbert news)  ;)
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 04, 2019, 05:16:51 PM
Illinois College was also a charter member of the CCIW (which began as the CCI, since there were no Wisconsin members at the time). I'm not sure that the CCIW would welcome Illinois College back into the fold the way that it welcomed Carroll. It was stretching the CCIW's footprint a bit to re-admit Carroll. It would stretch it a lot to re-admit IC. Everybody already gripes about having to make the trip to Millikin as it is (aside from the Illinois Wesleyan people), and IC's over an hour beyond Millikin. I suspect that the NACC would have the same reservations about admitting IC as a new member.

The SLIAC would be a great geographic fit for IC, but: a) the SLIAC doesn't sponsor football; and b) I doubt that MacMurray College would want its crosstown rival to join its league.

Why not?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

Territoriality. My impression is that MacMurray is looked upon as the little brother of the Jacksonville duo. (Once upon a time it would've been the little sister, but I digress ...) IC has twice as many students, ten times the amount of money in its endowment, and (so I'm told) much nicer facilities than MacMurray has. From MacMurray's perspective, it has been an integral part of the SLIAC for almost three decades now. The SLIAC is its turf, its athletic identity, its club. Would you want to share your club with your larger, stronger, wealthier, better-looking big brother?

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 04, 2019, 05:51:02 PM
Yeah, that would be a major headache.

Carthage's athletics nickname is a vestige of its Illinois heritage. Carthage High School's teams were known as the Blueboys, in honor of the large contingent of Carthaginian males who served in the Union Army during the Civil War. (CHS has since merged with two other schools and is now Illini West High School; its teams are called the Chargers.) The college's sports teams adopted the nickname Redmen (since altered to Red Men) so as to distinguish themselves from the Blueboys.

So, how did Illinois College become the Blue Boys?

Gregory Sager

I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Illinois College became the Blue Boys for the same reason that Carthage HS did: A large number of students and/or alumni serving in the Union Army during the Civil War.

gbpuckfan

What is a Blueboy?

Illinois College's athletic teams are known by the nickname of Blueboys and Lady Blues. The term "Blueboy" refers to a soldier in the Union Army, a role filled by 240 Illinois College students during the Civil War. The College's rich history includes ties to Abraham Lincoln and the Underground Railroad. The entire senior class of 1863 enlisted in the Civil War and Illinois College recognizes those soldiers who fought and died in the war by using the "Blueboy" as the school's official mascot.

https://illinoiscollegeathletics.com/sports/2013/5/29/fastfacts.aspx
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

RFMichigan

Quote from: gbpuckfan on April 05, 2019, 03:09:05 PM
What is a Blueboy?

Illinois College's athletic teams are known by the nickname of Blueboys and Lady Blues. The term "Blueboy" refers to a soldier in the Union Army, a role filled by 240 Illinois College students during the Civil War. The College's rich history includes ties to Abraham Lincoln and the Underground Railroad. The entire senior class of 1863 enlisted in the Civil War and Illinois College recognizes those soldiers who fought and died in the war by using the "Blueboy" as the school's official mascot.

I remember not having an idea where this nickname came from until we played in IC's gym and they had a huge picture of a Civil War soldier on the wall. (Along with a sign which said that Illinois College was the oldest college in the state of Illinois. :o)

I've got a question regarding IC and MacMurray being in the same conference. Is/can a school get admitted into a conference by the simple majority of conference presidents or can one school veto another one from getting in? It seems as though Illinois College is an awfully long way from most other schools in the Midwest Conference, but besides the SLIAC, where would they go? The NACC? (I'm fascinated by how and why schools end up in the conferences that they are.)

WUPHF

Quote from: RFMichigan on April 05, 2019, 04:41:00 PM
I remember not having an idea where this nickname came from until we played in IC's gym and they had a huge picture of a Civil War soldier on the wall. (Along with a sign which said that Illinois College was the oldest college in the state of Illinois. :o)

Yes! I was curious from when they played at Washington University but not curious enough to look it up. 

Then, I bought that 1987-1988 Washington University basketball magazine off Ebay and it had all the old mascots listed.  They played Illinois College that year and the magazine had a Union soldier logo.  It was a cool logo actually, but I guess they could not make it work for the women.

By Knox College incidentally, they just had the word Siwash which I guess was their old mascot.

Greek Tragedy

What is a Blueboy?

I've got a question regarding IC and MacMurray being in the same conference. Is/can a school get admitted into a conference by the simple majority of conference presidents or can one school veto another one from getting in? It seems as though Illinois College is an awfully long way from most other schools in the Midwest Conference, but besides the SLIAC, where would they go? The NACC? (I'm fascinated by how and why schools end up in the conferences that they are.)

I'm not going to pretend I know the geographics of the MWC, but I can't imagine trips to Lakeland University in Plymouth, Marian in Fond du Lac and Edgewood in Madison would be enjoyable rides for the Blue Boys if they were to jump to the NACC...and another trip to DePere, WI, St. in the future.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hickory_cornhusker

What is a Blueboy?

It depends on the conference rules on how many votes you need to add a ew member. However, most will say that the new school was unanimously voted in, even if there was one or two holdouts. It looks better for the conference to say the move was unanimous.

There is a kind of sick irony if Illinois College were to join the NACC after St. Norbert left the MWC citing travel concerns as one of the reasons and they are forced back into their longest conference road trip they had in the MWC in their new conference.

Ryan Stoppable

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on April 05, 2019, 08:38:24 PM
What is a Blueboy?

I'm not going to pretend I know the geographics of the MWC, but I can't imagine trips to Lakeland University in Plymouth, Marian in Fond du Lac and Edgewood in Madison would be enjoyable rides for the Blue Boys if they were to jump to the NACC...and another trip to DePere, WI, St. in the future.

I don't think any of the NACC full members are within 200 miles of Illinois College, though Eureka is for football (MacMurray, which is in the same town, was a member of the football only IBFC with several current NACC schools.)
Lakeland Muskies: Fear the Fish!

NCAA Appearances
Football: 17, 16, 15, 09, 05
MBB: 04
WBB: 17, 10, 06, 04, 02, 01, 99
Baseball: 03, 02 (College World Series)

gbpuckfan

Quote from: WUPHF on April 05, 2019, 05:36:57 PM

By Knox College incidentally, they just had the word Siwash which I guess was their old mascot.

IIRC correctly, Siwash is a reference to Native Americans... but I don't think it's a specific tribe (though I could be wrong on that).  It was changed in about 93.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18