BB: Central Region Rankings

Started by BigPoppa, March 19, 2007, 03:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

2007- BigPoppa's Central Region Rankings: (previous ranking)

1.(2)   Augustana (10-1) CCIW- Only blemish on their record is a 5-4 loss to Grove City in Port Charlotte, FL. The Vikings appear to be the cream of the crop in the Central Region right now. Their head-to-head battles with Carthage will determine their CCIW chances.

2.(NR)   Washington U (13-4) UAA- Their 10-1 record outside of the UAA is a nice addition to their impressive 13-4 start. Could be tough to beat in May.

3.(4)   Wartburg (8-4) IIAC- Looking for their 11th straight IIAC title. I have seen very little so far that would prevent them from achieving that.

4.(3)   Aurora (6-4) NATHCON- Big non-conference matchups with CCIW teams will determine their regional status this year. Should walk through the NATHCON.

5.(1)   Carthage (6-4) CCIW- Could a very dangerous team if they start hitting. An ERA in the 1.50 range should keep them in nearly all of their games this year.

6.(NR)   Concordia-Chicago (7-5) NATHCON- A nice start that could parlay into a conference title if the cards fall right for them. Tilts with Edgewood and Aurora will be huge for their regional status.

7.(6)   Webster (8-7) SLIAC- Currently on top of the SLIAC. Will need to get hot in the conference season in order to knock of Fontbonne, MacMurray and Westminster.

8.(NR)   Edgewood (5-4) NATHCON- Up and coming program in the region that surprised a few teams in the past few seasons. Look for them to be near the top of the NATHCON by the time it all finishes.

9.(NR)   Loras (7-3) IIAC- Off to a great start, but has not faced top-notch competition as of yet.

Any thoughts or reactions? Who did I miss?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Captain Morgan

Poppa, I think your rankings are pretty close. Though I do think that Carthage will creep back to the top very soon. Here is what I predict for the end of the season ranking:

1. Carthage-cciw
2. Augustana-cciw
3. Aurora-nathcon
4. Wartburg-iiac
5. Edgewood-nathcon
6. Webster-sliac
7. Coe-iiac
8. Concordia-Chicago-nathcon

It is tough to tell early as teams play vastly different levels of talent in their spring trips.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 20, 2007, 11:27:15 AM
Poppa, I think your rankings are pretty close. Though I do think that Carthage will creep back to the top very soon. Here is what I predict for the end of the season ranking:

1. Carthage-cciw
2. Augustana-cciw
3. Aurora-nathcon
4. Wartburg-iiac
5. Edgewood-nathcon
6. Webster-sliac
7. Coe-iiac
8. Concordia-Chicago-nathcon

It is tough to tell early as teams play vastly different levels of talent in their spring trips.

I like your rankings, but I doubt the NCAA would put two CCIW teams in the top spots. It is usually a CCIW team and Aurora/Wartburg as the #1, 2 and 3 teams in the region. This has changed in the last few years with the importing of out-of-region teams to the Central Region for the post-season: Mississippi College, College of Mt. St. Joseph and Emory University to name a few. I would expect the same to happen again this year.

BigPoppa

CCIW Baseball Standings 

Augustana 10-1
Carthage 6-4
Wheaton 3-4
North Park  2-4
Ill. Wesleyan  2-4
North Central  2-5
Elmhurst 1-3
Millikin  1-4

SLIAC BAseball

MacMurray 0-0
Lincoln Christian 0-0
Fontbonne 8 8
Webster 8-7
Maryville 8-7
Greenville 7-8
Westminster 4-8
Blackburn 3-7
Principia  3-9
Eureka 2-6

IIAC Baseball

Loras College  7-3
Wartburg College 8-4
Central College 6-3 
Buena Vista Univ. 2-1 
Cornell College 7-4
Coe College 7-5
Simpson College 4-6
Luther College 2-3
Univ. of Dubuque 4-8

NathCon Baseball

Edgewood 7-4
Aurora 6-4
Concordia Chicago7-5
Benedictine 5-5
Concordia Wisconsin 5-7
Lakeland 0-0 4-6
Marian 4-6
Dominican 3-7
Rockford 2-6
Wisconsin Lutheran 1-5
Maranatha 0-0
MSOE 0-15

Independents

Wash U 14-3 (Actually in the UAA, but I list them as an independent as they are they only UAA team in the Central Region)
Nebraska Wesleyan 8-3
Chicago 2-1
Clarke 3-7

BigPoppa

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 19, 2007, 03:35:55 PM
2007- BigPoppa's Central Region Rankings: (previous ranking)

1.(2)   Augustana (10-1) CCIW- Only blemish on their record is a 5-4 loss to Grove City in Port Charlotte, FL. The Vikings appear to be the cream of the crop in the Central Region right now. Their head-to-head battles with Carthage will determine their CCIW chances.

2.(NR)   Washington U (13-4) UAA- Their 10-1 record outside of the UAA is a nice addition to their impressive 13-4 start. Could be tough to beat in May.

3.(4)   Wartburg (8-4) IIAC- Looking for their 11th straight IIAC title. I have seen very little so far that would prevent them from achieving that.

4.(3)   Aurora (6-4) NATHCON- Big non-conference matchups with CCIW teams will determine their regional status this year. Should walk through the NATHCON.

5.(1)   Carthage (6-4) CCIW- Could a very dangerous team if they start hitting. An ERA in the 1.50 range should keep them in nearly all of their games this year.

6.(NR)   Concordia-Chicago (7-5) NATHCON- A nice start that could parlay into a conference title if the cards fall right for them. Tilts with Edgewood and Aurora will be huge for their regional status.

7.(6)   Webster (8-7) SLIAC- Currently on top of the SLIAC. Will need to get hot in the conference season in order to knock of Fontbonne, MacMurray and Westminster.

8.(NR)   Edgewood (5-4) NATHCON- Up and coming program in the region that surprised a few teams in the past few seasons. Look for them to be near the top of the NATHCON by the time it all finishes.

9.(NR)   Loras (7-3) IIAC- Off to a great start, but has not faced top-notch competition as of yet.

Any thoughts or reactions? Who did I miss?

I gave it my best shot. Here is the ABCA regional rankings:

1. Augustana (12-1)
2. Washington (16-4)
3. Warhburg (11-6)
4. Luther (8-3)
5. Carthage (7-6)
6. Loras (6-4)
7. Webster (10-7)

Spence

Not bad at the top, and one opinion is as good as another after that I think. Not sure I don't like your list better than the actual one.

knarocky22

After seeing Loras play tonight, they are definitely not the 6th best team in the central region.

BigPoppa

Quote from: knarocky22 on March 27, 2007, 10:54:58 PM
After seeing Loras play tonight, they are definitely not the 6th best team in the central region.

I am guessing they may be the product of a weak early season schedule?!

soxfan14

Updates NATHCON BASEBALL

Marian                2-0(6-6)
Concordia-Wi.     2-0(7-9)
Benidictine          1-0(7-5)
Concordia-Chi.    3-1(10-6)
Rockford              3-1(6-7)
Edgewood           2-2(9-6)
Lakeland              2-2(6-8)
Wisc. Lutheran     2-2(3-9)
Marantha             0-2(0-2)
Aurora                  0-3(6-8)
Dominican             0-4(5-11)
MSOE(provisional)       (0-19)

Too early to tell who is really the team to beat but with the way the conference schedules are the team with the deepest pitching staff will have the edge as you need 4 starters to get thru the conference

conference website: northernathleticsconf.com/sports/baseball

soxfan14

Maybe Big Poppa might want to change that prediction that Aurora will walk thru the NATHCON. maybe they will turn it around but they are not the team they have been in the past. Had to replace a lot of pitching and a few big bats from last year

BigPoppa

Quote from: soxfan14 on March 29, 2007, 10:31:40 AM
Maybe Big Poppa might want to change that prediction that Aurora will walk thru the NATHCON. maybe they will turn it around but they are not the team they have been in the past. Had to replace a lot of pitching and a few big bats from last year

I hold true to my prediction.

Spence

Quote from: knarocky22 on March 27, 2007, 10:54:58 PM

Well it is the Central Region...and a down year for it as it looks at that.

Loras did play a few decent teams in Florida (Wittenberg, Heidelberg, King's) and Northern Iowa before, obviously, Augustana. They're 2-4 in those games. Not sure Augustana's really played any better competition.

knarocky22

I didn't say Augustana had played any tougher of a schedule.  However, seeing both teams on the same field, Augie is simply head and shoulders better than Loras.  I just think there are other teams in the central region better than the Duhawks.

Spence

No I understand that...just saying I don't think Loras' schedule is any worse than most of the region minus Wartburg, Carthage and maybe a couple others.

soxfan14

Nathcon standings

Concordia/ Wi.  2-0(7-9)
Concordia/ Chi. 4-1(12-6-1)
Rockford            3-2(6-8)
Aurora               3-3(7-9)
Edgewood         3-3(10-7)
Lakeland            3-3(7-9)
Benidictine         2-2(8-7)
Marian                2-2(6-6)
Wi. Lutheran      2-2(3-9)
Dominican           1-5(6-12)