FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSCTiger64

The H-SC needs to run the ball argument.  Marty, when he has had a good RB, has been invested to the run game previously.  Let us not forget the glorious run of Josh Simpson that brought the 07 title.  Kirk Rhole also had a stellar career and Koonce a stellar season.  I feel like the 13 OL should also be ranked up there even though the backs didn't get record setting yards they rushed for 150 a game with Macko, Nance, and Shembo combining for 1500.  Is the issue, perhaps, Marty or the need to recruit a high level RB and be successful up front?   I've coached football before, when you don't have a high level running back and you like your receivers and passing game it becomes harder and harder to pound it between the tackles.  Not trying to knock our current RB's, because in the past 3 years I have only been to about 2-3 games due to where I live, but is issue scheme or recruiting?

tigerFanAlso2

I'm not a coach, just a fan. Good questions for which I have no answer. I don't think Marty became a bad coach overnite, in fact I think he is a very good coach, however, HSC is no longer considered to be one of the ODAC elite programs, W&L and RMC are. How this happened ? How to right the ship ? How to beat RMC and W&L again ? I have faith Marty will/can figure it out.

We'll find out on Saturday if 21 days between games is a bad thing or a really bad thing

hasanova

ODAC season starts in earnest this weekend ... and we don't have a full idea of what to expect after the OOC havoc caused by Florence (and lightning).

Anyone want to take a stab at predicting?

BC at GC
RMC at W&L
E&H at HSC
FC at SU

jknezek

BC at GC       GC 49-38  --- Bell. It's all about Bell. Best offensive player in the ODAC.
RMC at W&L   W&L 20-17 --- 3 pts at home. This game is a toss up.
E&H at HSC   E&H 42-35 --- I make it a point to allow E&H to disappoint me every year.
FC at SU        SU  45-31 --- SU just has too much offense for the newcomer

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on September 24, 2018, 04:19:20 PM
BC at GC       GC 49-38  --- Bell. It's all about Bell. Best offensive player in the ODAC.
RMC at W&L   W&L 20-17 --- 3 pts at home. This game is a toss up.
E&H at HSC   E&H 42-35 --- I make it a point to allow E&H to disappoint me every year.
FC at SU        SU  45-31 --- SU just has too much offense for the newcomer
I tend to agree, but also wonder if E&H can survive on the road.  Interesting match-ups.

Air Raid

BC at GC       GC- Guilford is scoring like they are playing an arcade game.  Bell is really special, and fun to watch
RMC at W&L  RMC- This game will be a old fashioned slobber knocker.  I think RMC- only bc of how WL struggled with Dickinson.  It could easily go either way.
E&H at HSC   EHC- The Wasps are coming out of the gate strong.  I do like HSC freshman rb Smith
FC at SU        SU- No defense really on either side.  Bauserman and company are just too much

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on September 24, 2018, 04:05:18 PM
GC
W&L
HSC
FC
tfa2, do you wonder if HSC's time off will be a help or a hindrance?  E&H is more in game mode with a contest last week.

Also, I tend to discount FC's 81-0 thrashing of GCP as an anomaly against a very bad team.  Even though SU lost, I see them as the stronger team.

tigerFanAlso2

hasa

I see no way 21 days between games can be good. Young OL that needs game experience and not getting it.

For some reason I think FC is going to be good; we'll find out soon.

I think Hobart is not very good (buy their standards); drove to Va. and whipped up on SU. If SU defense is as bad as I think it is, FC will have a really good chance to pull the victory.

Can't wait to see Mr. Bell in person. Good luck on Saturday

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on September 25, 2018, 12:56:59 PM
hasa

I see no way 21 days between games can be good. Young OL that needs game experience and not getting it.

For some reason I think FC is going to be good; we'll find out soon.

I think Hobart is not very good (buy their standards); drove to Va. and whipped up on SU. If SU defense is as bad as I think it is, FC will have a really good chance to pull the victory.

Can't wait to see Mr. Bell in person. Good luck on Saturday
I plan to be in Farmville on Oct 20.  Hopefully, we can say hello in person.  Bell is for real.

tigerFanAlso2

I'll have a tail gate set up. details to follow. please join us

Jeremybozz

Washington & Lee unranked at #40 in AFCA Coaches Poll with 12 points.

jknezek

Quote from: Jeremybozz on September 25, 2018, 04:23:26 PM

You just can't resist can you? 

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on September 25, 2018, 04:24:28 PM
Quote from: Jeremybozz on September 25, 2018, 04:23:26 PM

You just can't resist can you?
Camouflaged, but not enough cover.  lol

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: HSCTiger64 on September 24, 2018, 02:24:50 PM
The H-SC needs to run the ball argument.  Marty, when he has had a good RB, has been invested to the run game previously.  Let us not forget the glorious run of Josh Simpson that brought the 07 title.  Kirk Rhole also had a stellar career and Koonce a stellar season.  I feel like the 13 OL should also be ranked up there even though the backs didn't get record setting yards they rushed for 150 a game with Macko, Nance, and Shembo combining for 1500.  Is the issue, perhaps, Marty or the need to recruit a high level RB and be successful up front?   I've coached football before, when you don't have a high level running back and you like your receivers and passing game it becomes harder and harder to pound it between the tackles.  Not trying to knock our current RB's, because in the past 3 years I have only been to about 2-3 games due to where I live, but is issue scheme or recruiting?

HSC's success on the field has not been necessarily been a function of being EFFECTIVE running the ball.  BUT their success and lack there of has a direct correlation to rushing attempts.  One needs to look no further back than the 2017 season.  Last season HSC was 6-4 overall.  They won 5 games when ATTEMPTING 30 or more runs but 1-4 when ATTEMPTING 29 of less.  They were ineffective running the ball (even in the games they ran the ball over 30 times), possibly for some of the reasons you mentioned above but that does not seem to matter.  Over the last 3 seasons HSC has won 70% (7-3) of their games in which they had 30 rushes or more but have lost 90% (1-11) of their games when running the ball 30 times or less.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"