BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubs

Quote from: Spence on August 25, 2013, 07:29:42 PM
Quote from: Just Bill on August 23, 2013, 05:47:55 PM
It's hard to apply D-I sensibilities to D-III coaching situations. D-III coaches are rarely fired exclusively over on-field results. There's almost always other factors.

Doesn't matter with regard to defending the decision, does it? Unless Lechnir has done something just spectacular to benefit the school off the field, defending a wrongful termination case should be as simple as citing the program's last 15 years. They could add whatever else they wanted to make sure, but doesn't seem like it would be required.

From 5 championship game appearances (2 wins, 3 losses) over a decade between 1985-1994, to where the program is now, it's not hard to make the case that the program has regressed.

Which begs the question...why did the Titans fall? I'd be interested to hear some answers to that one.
You mean like spear-heading the campaign to get an $800,000 Baseball Stadium completed without a single dollar coming from the university or public tax dollars?
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

badgerwarhawk

Admittedly I don't know all that much about what's going on up there but from what I do know I don't have the sense that the team's onfield performance has that much to do with their decision to nonrenew his contract.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

BigPoppa

Oshkosh's fall coincided with the expansion of the NCAA postseason. Fringe starters that would normally have landed at UW-O with hopes of the NCAAs now enroll at other places like Ripon, Lakeland, St Norbert's, etc... Those kids were the depth Oshkosh needed. Players also landed more often at Point and Whitewater.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

old scot

Bob Morgan would be a great choice as a head coach. He recruited myself in the late 70's when he was at Wooster. I thought I knew how to play baseball when I got there. After going through his practices, I discovered I knew nothing about baseball. He teaches the game from every aspect and situation. Great fundamental coach.
The only downside I see is that he is "old school", it's my way or the highway. He and Bobby Knight are one and the same.
I was able to break into the starting lineup as a freshmen but, Coach Mo kept reminding me how lucky I was and the first slip  up would mean the bench. Great motivator!
Hiring Bob Morgan would be the best baseball move Osh Kosh could make.

cubs

Quote from: old scot on August 26, 2013, 06:13:51 PM
Bob Morgan would be a great choice as a head coach. He recruited myself in the late 70's when he was at Wooster. I thought I knew how to play baseball when I got there. After going through his practices, I discovered I knew nothing about baseball. He teaches the game from every aspect and situation. Great fundamental coach.
The only downside I see is that he is "old school", it's my way or the highway.
He and Bobby Knight are one and the same.
I was able to break into the starting lineup as a freshmen but, Coach Mo kept reminding me how lucky I was and the first slip  up would mean the bench. Great motivator!
Hiring Bob Morgan would be the best baseball move Osh Kosh could make.
Hmm...  That sounds familiar!!! :o

CrashDavisD3

In todays politically correct world...I don't think any "OLD SCHOOL" coaches can and will get hired.

As far as the now former UWO coach he was not wrongfully terminated. His contract was not renewed. UWO handled it poorly and their methods and treatment of the coach were also bad.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Spence

Quote from: cubs on August 26, 2013, 09:43:47 AM
Quote from: Spence on August 25, 2013, 07:29:42 PM
Quote from: Just Bill on August 23, 2013, 05:47:55 PM
It's hard to apply D-I sensibilities to D-III coaching situations. D-III coaches are rarely fired exclusively over on-field results. There's almost always other factors.

Doesn't matter with regard to defending the decision, does it? Unless Lechnir has done something just spectacular to benefit the school off the field, defending a wrongful termination case should be as simple as citing the program's last 15 years. They could add whatever else they wanted to make sure, but doesn't seem like it would be required.

From 5 championship game appearances (2 wins, 3 losses) over a decade between 1985-1994, to where the program is now, it's not hard to make the case that the program has regressed.

Which begs the question...why did the Titans fall? I'd be interested to hear some answers to that one.
You mean like spear-heading the campaign to get an $800,000 Baseball Stadium completed without a single dollar coming from the university or public tax dollars?

No, not really. A baseball coach building a baseball stadium is not really spectacular. If he had pulled a Paterno and helped build the school library or something, that's more like what I'm thinking of.

Spence

Quote from: BigPoppa on August 26, 2013, 05:33:40 PM
Oshkosh's fall coincided with the expansion of the NCAA postseason. Fringe starters that would normally have landed at UW-O with hopes of the NCAAs now enroll at other places like Ripon, Lakeland, St Norbert's, etc... Those kids were the depth Oshkosh needed. Players also landed more often at Point and Whitewater.

OK, I can buy that kind of, but that can't be the only thing. Whitewater and Point are getting superior players (or at least superior teams)? What turned the tables?

oldscot, how old is Bob Morgan now? Does he still have enough to do what Oshkosh needs to get back in the mix in the WIAC? I know he did a lot to get Wooster's program rolling, but I would really wonder considering how much more effort coaches have to expend these days to recruit.

old scot

oldscot, how old is Bob Morgan now? Does he still have enough to do what Oshkosh needs to get back in the mix in the WIAC? I know he did a lot to get Wooster's program rolling, but I would really wonder considering how much more effort coaches have to expend these days to recruit.
[/quote]

Can't say for sure. I'm guessing he's pushing 65. His fire must still be burning that he wants to get back into coaching. I'm sure his energy level is high and recruiting should not be a problem.

Spence

Quote from: old scot on August 27, 2013, 10:57:52 PM

Can't say for sure. I'm guessing he's pushing 65. His fire must still be burning that he wants to get back into coaching. I'm sure his energy level is high and recruiting should not be a problem.

Yeah I mean the guy's been on faculty at IU for the last 8 years teaching things like beginning tennis whilst not coaching, presumably has next to no recent knowledge of recruiting in Wisconsin, and is eligible for social security. I see nothing that could go wrong here.

Is there any example anywhere of a coach this old coming out of a retirement this long and making it work? All of this said, it's really not a very impressive list of candidates if the public list is comprehensive, so he may actually get it.

cubs

Rumor is former Whitewater standout Kevin Tomasiewicz has been selected to take over the UWO baseball program....

Just Bill

Quote from: cubs on September 03, 2013, 06:46:31 PM
Rumor is former Whitewater standout Kevin Tomasiewicz has been selected to take over the UWO baseball program....
That probably lessens the chances of future Whitwater-Oshkosh bench clearing brawls.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

cubs

Quote from: Just Bill on September 03, 2013, 10:55:53 PM
Quote from: cubs on September 03, 2013, 06:46:31 PM
That probably lessens the chances of future Whitwater-Oshkosh bench clearing brawls.
Kind of ironic that Tomasiewicz was the pitcher that hit a former teammate against Oshkosh which ultimately sparked the infamous brawl...  Everything appears to have now gone full circle!!!

Jim Dixon

Spence

Seems like they're thinking long term, realizing that there's not going to be a quick fix to whatever has ailed UWO the last decade.

Just really surprised a current D-III head coach wasn't in the mix.