MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: duckfan41 on March 13, 2018, 12:25:12 PMTo talk specifically about Ebel and Orange, their experience and leadership in the backcourt for Augustana has taken the Vikings to new heights as a program, and their legacy is essentially cemented at this point. Though they did not "get over the hump" and win a Natty, they have brought Augie to the national stage as a contender every year,

Ebel and Orange are among the best backcourts in D3 in recent seasons, and collectively they're very worthy of accolades. I think as well that their legacy is established at this point. But I think it's a stretch to say that they've "taken the Vikings to new heights as a program", given that: a) Hunter Hill and Griffin Pils were Augie's starting backcourt, and Ebel and Orange were still high-school seniors, when Augie made it to the national championship game in '15 at the start of this four-year Elite Eight streak; and b) Augie had been to five Final Fours as a program, including three national championship game appearances, before Ebel and Orange ever joined the team.

Quote from: duckfan41 on March 13, 2018, 12:25:12 PMand I don't see that changing any time soon, especially when the Angry Man is still their coach, because he is quite honestly one of the best D3 coaches in the country.

That's a beautiful nickname: "the Angry Man". It's so much better than "the Stomper", because it really captures more of his overall persona.

Quote from: duckfan41 on March 13, 2018, 12:25:12 PMIt will certainly be nice to not have to see Sorenson in a Cardinals uniform anymore, but his dominant presence was fun to watch, even though he did torch my team many times. I'm curious how much the NCC offense is going to miss him, as they don't really have another big that makes other teams sweat like Sorenson did,

Agreed. I've never been impressed much by Jack Bronec, although it's certainly possible that he could step up and greatly improve now that he's going to be The Man In The Middle for NCC and will play big minutes. I thought that Sam Fehrle, the kid that Todd Raridon brought in last season, had a much brighter future as Sorenson's heir apparent than did Bronec, but Fehrle didn't make grades and vanished from the roster after only four games in 2016-17.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

markerickson

I just looked at the box score of Augie's last game, which they lost 95-88.  Neither team had more than three players score in double digits.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

GoPerry

Quote from: AndOne on March 13, 2018, 04:32:27 PM
Congratulations to North Central senior Alex Sorenson who was chosen to play in the National Association of Basketball Coaches Division III All-Star game which will be played at 3:30 PM, Eastern Time, on Saturday, March 17 just prior to the NCAA Division III Championship game at the Salem Civic Center in Salem, VA. Alex will be one of two representatives from the Central Region.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/03/nabc-all-star-rosters

I'm also glad for this very nice well-deserved recognition for Alex Sorenson.  I hope he enjoys his time in Salem representing NCC and the conference.   

AndOne

Thanks GoPerry. I talked to Alex a little while ago and I know he appreciates your support. Today is the last day of 2nd term finals at NCC. He will be leaving for Salem tomorrow morning, flying from Chicago with a stopover in Philly, and then on to Roanoke/Salem. Probably a couple of practices before the game.

Greek Tragedy

So Rose is listed as a senior but has a year left because he only played 6 games in '15-'16 (injury)?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: AndOne on March 14, 2018, 04:02:01 PM
Thanks GoPerry. I talked to Alex a little while ago and I know he appreciates your support. Today is the last day of 2nd term finals at NCC. He will be leaving for Salem tomorrow morning, flying from Chicago with a stopover in Philly, and then on to Roanoke/Salem. Probably a couple of practices before the game.

We're all a little curious down here what Alex is going to do in a game where teams rarely get passed the FT line.  My suggestion was to give up on offense entirely and just stay back to block shots.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Titan Q

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 17, 2018, 07:24:54 AM
So Rose is listed as a senior but has a year left because he only played 6 games in '15-'16 (injury)?

Yes

petemcb

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 17, 2018, 08:44:44 AM

We're all a little curious down here what Alex is going to do in a game where teams rarely get passed the FT line.  My suggestion was to give up on offense entirely and just stay back to block shots.

Without checking this season's stats for every player invited to this game, I'm willing to bet that his 3 point percentage is not the lowest on that roster.  Of course, I was willing to bet that Virginia would get past UMBC - if you'll pardon the D1 reference. 🙄

AndOne

Quote from: petemcb on March 17, 2018, 09:35:11 AM

Without checking this season's stats for every player invited to this game, I'm willing to bet that his 3 point percentage is not the lowest on that roster.  Of course, I was willing to bet that Virginia would get past UMBC - if you'll pardon the D1 reference. 🙄

Alex shot about 37% from three this year. I think he plans to have a talk with the guy assigned to guard him, and hopes they can reach a gentleman's agreement where neither will make a very strong effort to defend the other too closely. 🏀 😀

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: AndOne on March 17, 2018, 02:53:58 PM

Alex shot about 37% from three this year. I think he plans to have a talk with the guy assigned to guard him, and hopes they can reach a gentleman's agreement where neither will make a very strong effort to defend the other too closely. 🏀 😀

I believe that's a general assumption for this game.  It's all about big guys shooting threes and little guys trying to dunk.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

iwumichigander

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 17, 2018, 03:14:14 PM

I believe that's a general assumption for this game.  It's all about big guys shooting threes and little guys trying to dunk.
Alex perfectly capable of stepping back and draining a three.  Just ask any CCIW team or coach! :(

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwumichigander on March 17, 2018, 03:30:45 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 17, 2018, 03:14:14 PM

Alex perfectly capable of stepping back and draining a three.  Just ask any CCIW team or coach! :(

Yeah, don't ask Tom Slyder. He won't be happy to hear the question. A Sorenson trey with 27 seconds left was the game-winning shot for North Central against North Park in the airplane hangar this season.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

NCC will certainly have big shoes to fil with Alex' graduation. It's a good thing that an already admitted freshman for next year is a 6'9" player from the South Sudan who was a member of the Sudanese National 17 and under team this past season. My understanding is that Udomo's game is at about the level that Sorenson's was at the time he transferred to NCC from No. Michigan. 🏀 😊

AndOne

Speaking of Alex Sorenson, congrats to Big A on his selection as a D3Hoops All-American member of the 3rd team.

Also to perhaps the most exciting shooter in the land, 2nd teamer Aston Francis of Wheaton.

Two of the CCIW's brightest ⭐️s.

AndOne

Wrong room I know, but congrats to my alma mater, the Nebraska Wesleyan Prairie Wolves (née Plainsmen) on their National Championship!  ;D
The green beer will be flowing freely amid the numerous celebrations which will no doubt be taking place tonight around the NWU campus, and at various quaffing establishments in the Pleasure Capital of the Plains, otherwise known as Lincoln.  8-)