FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee

No worries, Wheaton travels to Naperville for 2 consecutive years after this year.

izzy stradlin

Any news on Hiben?   I suppose we'll find out when the preview comes out in the next few weeks.

USee

Quote from: izzy stradlin on July 26, 2014, 03:27:32 PM
Any news on Hiben?   I suppose we'll find out when the preview comes out in the next few weeks.

As far as I know, the Hiben ship has sailed. He was done forever before last year. I don't think forever has happened yet.

USee

fantastic interview on Colts.com by Andy Studebaker. Really great representative of D3.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Horseshoe-at-High-Noon-Andy-Studebaker-/ebac7527-e8b5-453c-9a93-89f8d3b30f8e

My favorite question:

Do you have a favorite quote?  If so, who did you hear it from and why does it mean something to you – My college coach, Mike Swider, is a quote guy and an unbelievable guy.  He said, 'At the end of every day, you have to look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself do you like what you see?  If you can hang your hat on that and say you like what you see, you like the effort you gave, then you can go to bed at night.  If you don't like what you see, you have problems.'  Another one he said was, 'There are two kinds of pain in the world, the pain of discipline and the pain of regret.  One of them is temporary, and one is forever.'  I think about that a lot in training camp.  I want to stay disciplined now because this isn't forever.  You don't want to regret going in the tank or not giving your best effort in camp.

79jaybird

One of the main reasons why WC/IWU and most recently NC have had great perennially strong teams is COACHING.  Swider, Eash, and now Thorne have established great tenure, the communities and feeder programs trust these mentors, and the Wins follow suit.  Many schools (for many reasons) cannot get coaches to stay more than 4-5 years. The 2 steps forward 4 steps back analogy makes it difficult to build up or maintain a program.
I remember saying on the air that Augie was going to eventually dread the decision to abandon the Wing-T.  That was such a bread & butter staple of offensive planning.  In hindsight, I think Augie would have been better off tweaking the Wing-T but NOT abandoning it. 

Almost FB season.  Can't wait
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

AndOne

WHEATON IS RANKED #2  ;D

According to the Princeton Review, WHEATON is #2 in the country in the category of.............................. Stone-Cold Sober Schools.
The Crusaders Thunder are exceeded only by BYU.  :D   :)   

http://www.princetonreview.com/SchoolList.aspx?id=746

Gregory Sager

That's absolutely meaningless, as the Princeton Review only covers a small sample of schools (379 of them). I can name a whole bunch of schools that are more "stone-cold sober" than either Wheaton or BYU.

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

New Tradition

Congrats to Wheaton Center Spencer Clark as the lone CCIW representative on the D3 All American team!
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

USee

Quote from: Grant Sabo on August 06, 2014, 03:06:16 PM
Congrats to Wheaton Center Spencer Clark as the lone CCIW representative on the D3 All American team!

Actually Sean Dunning, RB Millikin, was on the 2nd team. Spencer was 1st team and this the pre-season AA team for D3, just to clarify.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

HoosierRedMan

It is looking like another long year in Kenosha.  Only 6 Seniors on the roster with an incoming class of 86 Freshmen.
I believe it is hard to win in the CCIW without good Senior and Junior leadership. IMHO

matblake

It's been quiet on the board.  I'm sure Sager doesn't mind the silence with regards to the thing formally known as North Park's Streak.  The Vikings killed that one off with authority last year.  Seems like Mr. Conway is putting the pieces into place for building something.  Greg, does the program feel different to you than in the past?  Or are you still in "wait and see" mode?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: HoosierRedMan on August 07, 2014, 09:33:31 AM
It is looking like another long year in Kenosha.  Only 6 Seniors on the roster with an incoming class of 86 Freshmen.
I believe it is hard to win in the CCIW without good Senior and Junior leadership. IMHO

Eighty-six freshmen? Holy crap.

I wonder what the retention rate on those 86 guys is going to be.

Quote from: matblake on August 07, 2014, 10:03:24 AM
It's been quiet on the board.  I'm sure Sager doesn't mind the silence with regards to the thing formally known as North Park's Streak.  The Vikings killed that one off with authority last year.  Seems like Mr. Conway is putting the pieces into place for building something.  Greg, does the program feel different to you than in the past?  Or are you still in "wait and see" mode?

It definitely feels different, in that there's both an optimism and a visibility to the program on campus now that I don't remember seeing since my student days, when North Park was actually mediocre -- mediocrity being the apex of CCIW gridiron achievement for NPU in every season other than 1968. But I don't ascribe much value to feelings as far as sports are concerned. The bottom line is results, and that's why I'm still in "wait and see" mode. This is going to be a very young Vikings team with a tiny senior class, and it remains to be seen whether the program can continue its upward swing. But there is legitimate reason for that optimism; it's not simply a matter of donning blue-and-gold glasses.

Media Day is a week from tomorrow. I hope to have a more complete report at that point.

Oh, and there are two streaks that still remain to be broken at North Park that are much more irritating and disheartening than that 89-game CCIW losing streak was. One is the streak of 20 straight losing seasons; the last North Park team to tread water was the 1993 team under Tim Rucks that went 4-4-1. The other, even more irritating and disheartening streak, is the 45 straight years without a winning record. That '68 team that went 6-3 and finished second in the CCIW was the last winning football team that NPU has had.