D3 Men's National Pick Em League

Started by Greek Tragedy, March 29, 2006, 09:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

I see this a lot during fantasy football, managers picking up that receiver that goes against that bad secondary or picking up that defense that plays against David Carr so they can rack up sacks and turnovers INSTEAD of playing their regular stars.  This works less than half the time.  The strategy of picking lesser players to play against better matchups doesn't work as well as just playing your star players each week, no matter who their opponents are. 

The Green Bay Packers' defense was horrible last year.  So, no one was going to pick them up, but then they go off for 30+ points against the New Orleans Saints...after that, everyone and their mom was picking up their defense and they didn't do anything the rest of the year.

IMO, I don't see it worth the time and effort looking for those players that play Maranatha Baptist just for a good match up instead of playing the studs of the worlds, no matter who they play. 

It goes both ways.  If I pick up some guy playing Superior (0-16 in the WIAC last year), it doesn't mean they are going to have a spectacular game.  They could go for 15 points or whatever and then the starters will sit for most of the 2nd half after a big lead is established.

In the WIAC for example...

Krull vs. supposedly tough opponent Stout:  23 pts 9 rbs
Krull vs. supposedly easy opponent Superior:  14 pts, 6 ast

easy game at home vs. Viterbo:  13 pts, 5 rbs, 4 ast
hard game away at Oshkosh:  16 pts, 5 rbs 2 ast

I would think a minimum would be that each player in your lineup has to play at least one game (why would you select someone who doesn't play?)...no maximum.  I wouldn't be a fan of having a Wednesday game count and not a Saturday game...or whatever.

Anyway, plenty of time to figure this out! lol.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm glad you are of similar mind to me, OS.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

After some more thought here and there regarding this amazing idea of having a D3 fantasy basketball league, I'm still having a hard time figuring out a fair way to have teams. 

At this time, the fairest of them all...oh wait, the fairest way to do this might be by conference.  Obviously we're not experts of other conferences, so I'll just use the WIAC as an example.  Players would only come from one conference and matchups (weeks) would be based on conference games only.  In  the WIAC there are 16 games.  So, there would be 8 fantasy teams that run for 14 "weeks" and then the last two conference game days would be semis and finals. 

Having a fantasy league that spans all conferences really makes things difficult in regards to "fair" games.  One fantasy team could be playing conference foes while another would beat up on nonconference opponents like the College of the Blind and the Mime Academy.  There are "gurus" for such conferences as the CCIW and the WIAC, just to name two, that could be commissioners of said conferences and I would be willing to run the WIAC one and participate in two others just for fun. 

Other than that, I'm still having a hard time figuring out "weekly matchups" etc to make it an even playing field.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Hey man, those Mime Academy boys are sneaky; you never hear them coming!!

Coach C

A really interesting idea guys!

I would love to see how it all works out.  Keep me posted.

C

bulldogfan23

sounds very interesting.  Id love to do it if it comes to fruition

Greek Tragedy

If any of you guys can figure out a uniform schedule, by all means, post your thoughts.  Unlike D3 football or any other sport, running a division wide fantasy league will be really hard with virtually every team/league having a different schedule.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

No real new updates on the fantasy league.  My alternative would be to run a nationwide Pick Em League...

Most likely, I would pick 10 "feature games" that would be played on Fridays/Saturdays or even Sundays (some UAA games are played then).  This would give everyone time to get their picks in. 

Big games would be like Lawrence/Oshkosh again, Hope/Calvin, St. Thomas/Gusto, Wittenberg/Wooster etc.

Suggesting "feature games" would be welcome, but only privately by sending me an email or message through site.

Just a thought if the fantasy league doesn't go through.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

John Gleich

I like that second idea a little better OS... It seems like it would take less time on everyone's part, but still be fun and informative!
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Greek Tragedy

Pat Coleman,

When you get a chance, can you please change the title of this board to D3 Men's National Pick Em League....

I've decided not to run an actual fantasy league, but to just have a national pick em league picking "premiere weekly games". 

I know I can merge boards and then change names, but I'm not sure how to just simply change the name of a board I've created.

Thanks a lot.

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I think that's a good idea and it will leave us losers free time during the week now that we don't have to scout individial players who live half-way across the country.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Hoops Fan on October 02, 2006, 09:57:39 AM
I think that's a good idea and it will leave us losers free time during the week now that we don't have to scout individial players who live half-way across the country.

I do that anyway...ok, I don't, but I figured it will make things a lot easier for me since I'm involved in a lot of other useless stuff on this site! lol.  :P

I'm sure when we start, we'll have 50+ posters sending in their picks and by January, we'll be down to 15!  Like the other pick ems, I'll put a cap on how many weeks you can miss before you are disqualified (probably 3)

BTW, thanks for changing it, Pat.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

No, it sounds like a great idea.  Along with the survivor game and the poster's poll, this will add just the right amount of extra pressure each week.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Hoops Fan on October 02, 2006, 03:53:58 PM

No, it sounds like a great idea.  Along with the survivor game and the poster's poll, this will add just the right amount of extra pressure each week.

Wow.  I'm not sure I've ever said anything as unintentionally passive-aggressive as that statement right there.  I really do like the pick'em though, no matter how that last post sounded in your head.

Ralph Turner

Sounds good!  I do not wish to have point spreads, just a heads up win or lose.